Sean McVay discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As others have stated... Mcvay has to win a Super Bowl to be considered the best Rams Coach.

Vermeil brought home the bacon. Mcvay is still hunting the pig.

That's all he can do?

So if he coaches the Rams for 20 seasons, never has a losing season, shatters Ram record for playoff appearances and wins but we never win the Super Bowl with him, Vermeil was still better for his one good season?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's all he can do?

So if he coaches the Rams for 20 seasons, never has a losing season, shatters Ram record for playoff appearances and wins but we never win the Super Bowl with him, Vermeil was still better for his one good season?
Which would you rather have....7 Straight NFC West Titles and losing in the first or second round, or one magical season where you win a Super Bowl? Having lived it, I can't believe I have to ask the question.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which would you rather have....7 Straight NFC West Titles and losing in the first or second round, or one magical season where you win a Super Bowl? Having lived it, I can't believe I have to ask the question.
I guess it depends what happens after that magical season. Does the dynasty we all envisioned suddenly collapse and we are the laughing stock of the league for like 14 years....cause that wasn’t fun

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess it depends what happens after that magical season. Does the dynasty we all envisioned suddenly collapse and we are the laughing stock of the league for like 14 years....cause that wasn’t fun
In our case, a Porsche was left to Mike Martz and he drove it off a cliff. Vermeil wasn't to blame.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In our case, a Porsche was left to Mike Martz and he drove it off a cliff. Vermeil wasn't to blame.
I must’ve missed something here. Was the message I quoted a reply to someone that I must have blocked? Because I certainly didn’t mention vermeil I was just answering your hypothetical.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
We'll have to wait a couple decades to see where he stacks up with the best NFL coaches. He could be considered the best Rams coach if he wins a Superbowl.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Vince Lombardi
Bill Walsh
Paul Brown
George Halas
Tom Landry
Chuck Noll
Don Shula
Bill Belichick
George Allen
Tony Dungy

McVay has a great start and a bright future. Today, he doesn't crack my list of football history. But he surely can.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, it got Tom Coughlin fired in New York, Wins SB, misses playoffs 2 of next 3 years, Wins SB, misses playoffs 4 straight and gone
Winning does a strange thing
McVay is currently the 9th longest tenured HC in the league, pretty crazy, and only 1 day from 8th place:
  1. Bill Belichick (New England Patriots): January 27, 2000
  2. Asshole Face (New Orleans Saints): January 18, 2006
  3. Mike Tomlin (Pittsburgh Steelers): January 27, 2007
  4. John Harbaugh (Baltimore Ravens): January 19, 2008
  5. Pete Carroll (Seattle Seahawks): January 9, 2010
  6. Andy Reid (Kansas City Chiefs): January 4, 2013
  7. Mike Zimmer (Minnesota Vikings): January 15, 2014
  8. Sean McDermott (Buffalo Bills): January 11, 2017
  9. Sean McVay (Los Angeles Rams): January 12, 2017

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So who's the greatest coach in Tampa Bay history? Gruden or Arians?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'd rather have the Super Bowl.

But, do we win the Super Bowl if Isaac Bruce or Torry Holt are out for the year in 1999 (really doubtful)? Was McVay to blame for Kupp getting hurt? If Kupp is healthy, we obviously would have had a much better chance to win.

Winning a Super Bowl is hard and kind of fluky. Head coaches certainly deserve credit for leading the team there, but it's also worth noting that there are circumstances beyond their control that may dictate the outcome.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I agree.
I always struggle with the idea that Vermeil is the franchise best coach, solely due to the SB win. I mean, he had a worse record than Rich Brooks thru his first 2 seasons, and Brooks is in the conversation of worst ever. I only rate based on guys who I saw coach, so McVay is the top in my book now.
1. McVay
2. Martz
3. Robinson
4. Vermeil

You forgot the blue font when you typed "Martz"

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
How could you not? Tony Dungy pure class as a player & football coach.

It really is the truth. Tony is the architect of that SB winning team. He just couldn't get the offense to play at a high enough level.

Enter Jon "Golden Chain" Gruden... he was able to inject the additional needed amount of offense into Tony's team so that it could win the SB before he destroyed it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Gentlemen we need to look at Title (Not Turtles) first then wins, that being posted and I might be somewhat biased, but IMO, the list is as follows:

1. Dick Vermeil....The only Super Bowl Title
  2. Joe Stydahar....Many of us were not around in 1951, but he won that year and took the Rams to the Title game in his first year in 1950, losing to the Browns 30-28.
  3. John Robinson...Winningest Coach in Ram History with 75 wins.
  4. Chuck Knox....73-77 Rams were dominate under his watch
  5. George Allen/Mike Martz... Allen Restored the Ram franchise & Martz took them to a Super Bowl.
Hopefully, Sean McVay will be number one on the list forevermore as I hope he's our Joe Gibbs.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Enter Jon "Golden Chain" Gruden... he was able to inject the additional needed amount of offense into Tony's team so that it could win the SB before he destroyed it.

But all of us are still in awe over the fact that Jon Gruden graduated from one of the finest Universities in the United States. ;)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So who's the greatest coach in Tampa Bay history? Gruden or Arians?
Tony Dungy.
It really is the truth. Tony is the architect of that SB winning team. He just couldn't get the offense to play at a high enough level.
How could you not? Tony Dungy pure class as a player & football coach.
Exactly, in fact I'd likely put John McKay in #2, what he was able to do with an expansion team that didnt get all the bennies the later expansion teams recieved is pretty amazing. From 0 wins to NFC Championship in 3 years is unreal.

Which is why Vermeil doesnt land the #1 spot for me on the Rams. Only 9 wins in 2 seasons combined and then the miracle season. Was a great ride, but best ever? Nah. Just like Tony Dungy being behind Gruden or Arians

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gentlemen we need to look at Title (Not Turtles) first then wins, that being posted and I might be somewhat biased, but IMO, the list is as follows:

1. Dick Vermeil....The only Super Bowl Title
  2. Joe Stydahar....Many of us were not around in 1951, but he won that year and took the Rams to the Title game in his first year in 1950, losing to the Browns 30-28.
  3. John Robinson...Winningest Coach in Ram History with 75 wins.
  4. Chuck Knox....73-77 Rams were dominate under his watch
  5. George Allen/Mike Martz... Allen Restored the Ram franchise & Martz took them to a Super Bowl.
Hopefully, Sean McVay will be number one on the list forevermore as I hope he's our Joe Gibbs.

There is zero argument for Martz over McVay. There first four years are identical, and after that Martz went 8-8 and then downhill from there. If you factor in the teams they inherited, McVay blows Martz out of the water.

First four years for each, same number of wins, playoff appearances, division titles, both lost the Super Bowl. Even if McVay tanks from here on out, Martz inherited the best team in the NFL while McVay inherited, at best, an average NFL team in terms of talent.