Sean McVay discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sean McVay takes over the team with the #32 ranked offense and proceeds to score more points in his first game (46) than the Rams had scored combined in their last 4 games of the previous year (44)
Remarkable coach and #1 all time (Rams coach) if he never coaches another game for the team

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sean McVay takes over the team with the #32 ranked offense and proceeds to score more points in his first game (46) than the Rams had scored combined in their last 4 games of the previous year (44)
Remarkable coach and #1 all time (Rams coach) if he never coaches another game for the team

This is the first thing the two of us have agreed on in a long time. So either hell is freezing over (quite possible given the current climate) or McVay is indeed the best coach in Rams history.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I must’ve missed something here. Was the message I quoted a reply to someone that I must have blocked? Because I certainly didn’t mention vermeil I was just answering your hypothetical.
It wasn't a hypothetical to me, but that's ok...

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Gentlemen we need to look at Title (Not Turtles) first then wins ...

While I agree that titles and wins should be considered first and foremost, I am intrigued by the idea of also factoring-in Turtles.

That’s thinking way out of the box.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Which is why Vermeil doesnt land the #1 spot for me on the Rams. Only 9 wins in 2 seasons combined and then the miracle season. Was a great ride, but best ever? Nah. Just like Tony Dungy being behind Gruden or Arians

IDK, I feel Vermeil was instrumental because he put together the talent moving forward after stepping down after drinking from the silver cup. However, he should have stayed on, Rams would have won another Super Bowl at the very minimum, but he didn't so the rest is history.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd rather have the Super Bowl.

But, do we win the Super Bowl if Isaac Bruce or Torry Holt are out for the year in 1999 (really doubtful)? Was McVay to blame for Kupp getting hurt? If Kupp is healthy, we obviously would have had a much better chance to win.

Winning a Super Bowl is hard and kind of fluky. Head coaches certainly deserve credit for leading the team there, but it's also worth noting that there are circumstances beyond their control that may dictate the outcome.
Part of the Championship team is overcoming adversity. I hear what you're saying, but if you change a single variable (or more) it more than likely changes everything. The whole flow of the game might have been different and we might have blown them out because Faulk, Az Hakim and Torry or Isaac had a bigger role. Or we might have gotten steamrolled.

I sure would have liked Kupp in that last Super Bowl, but we don't know if our offense overcomes that defensive scheme with him. As you say, winning a Super Bowl is hard for everyone but New England...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, it got Tom Coughlin fired in New York, Wins SB, misses playoffs 2 of next 3 years, Wins SB, misses playoffs 4 straight and gone
Winning does a strange thing
McVay is currently the 9th longest tenured HC in the league, pretty crazy, and only 1 day from 8th place:
  1. Bill Belichick (New England Patriots): January 27, 2000
  2. Asshole Face (New Orleans Saints): January 18, 2006
  3. Mike Tomlin (Pittsburgh Steelers): January 27, 2007
  4. John Harbaugh (Baltimore Ravens): January 19, 2008
  5. Pete Carroll (Seattle Seahawks): January 9, 2010
  6. Andy Reid (Kansas City Chiefs): January 4, 2013
  7. Mike Zimmer (Minnesota Vikings): January 15, 2014
  8. Sean McDermott (Buffalo Bills): January 11, 2017
  9. Sean McVay (Los Angeles Rams): January 12, 2017
Coughlin was fired after 12 seasons as the Giants HC...it was hardly a knee jerk firing....

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It wasn't a hypothetical to me, but that's ok...
Asking a fan whether they would chose 7 nfc west championships and early playoff exits or a super bowl is certainly hypothetical. We can’t literally chose those things.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Asking a fan whether they would chose 7 nfc west championships and early playoff exits or a super bowl is certainly hypothetical. We can’t literally chose those things.
They happened. Chuck Knox was fired in the midst of that 7 NFC West Championship run in the 70's

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Part of the Championship team is overcoming adversity. I hear what you're saying, but if you change a single variable (or more) it more than likely changes everything. The whole flow of the game might have been different and we might have blown them out because Faulk, Az Hakim and Torry or Isaac had a bigger role. Or we might have gotten steamrolled.

I sure would have liked Kupp in that last Super Bowl, but we don't know if our offense overcomes that defensive scheme with him. As you say, winning a Super Bowl is hard for everyone but New England...

Agreed but what adversity did the 1999 Rams face? What key player got injured? Looks like the only key player that missed more than a game or two was Lyle.

We can say Trent Green going down, but after seeing the rest of their careers play out, Green going down was probably beneficial for the Rams as a team.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed but what adversity did the 1999 Rams face? What key player got injured? Looks like the only key player that missed more than a game or two was Lyle.

We can say Trent Green going down, but after seeing the rest of their careers play out, Green going down was probably beneficial for the Rams as a team.
Or...you could say that the strength and conditioning coach did a fantastic job preparing the players for a mostly injury free season.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They happened. Chuck Knox was fired in the midst of that 7 NFC West Championship run in the 70's
Right I understand. But again you’re asking what someone would hypothetically pick. Which is what I responded to. I don’t even understand how this is controversial I wasn’t attempting to argue.

you proposed a hypothetical question about what someone would prefer and unless you’re handing out nfc west championships and Super Bowls it was hypothetical

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right I understand. But again you’re asking what someone would hypothetically pick. Which is what I responded to. I don’t even understand how this is controversial I wasn’t attempting to argue.

you proposed a hypothetical question about what someone would prefer and unless you’re handing out nfc west championships and Super Bowls it was hypothetical
Sure, it's a hypothetical from that standpoint, but not unrealistic because both situations happened. 7 straight NFC West championships and and destruction of GSOT by an egotistical offense oriented coach who thought he could choose players in the draft (causing the skid for more than a decade. Yes, Linehan, Spags didn't help matters either...

TexasRam

Legend
That's all he can do?

So if he coaches the Rams for 20 seasons, never has a losing season, shatters Ram record for playoff appearances and wins but we never win the Super Bowl with him, Vermeil was still better for his one good season?

I find it weird when a fan “likes” a coach so much that he puts blinders on.

Its quite an interesting Phenomena to observe.

:):fistbump:

See what I did there my friend?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea...but Marts without a leash....team implosion unlike I've seen.
Made it to divisional champ game in his last full season, 2-3 when they moved him out. THEN the team went to shit
Will never know what he would have made of the team, not his fault they were a train wreck afterwords

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Made it to divisional champ game in his last full season, 2-3 when they moved him out. THEN the team went to shit
Will never know what he would have made of the team, not his fault they were a train wreck afterwords

I liked Martz, but the dude drafted a single star player. Outside of Jackson I can not recall a single player of star quality.

He had a horrid front office. Had he had Les, maybe things would have been different. But he was getting Marc killed. And trying to turn option QBs into safeties with the 3rd round picks. Lol

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I liked Martz, but the dude drafted a single star player. Outside of Jackson I can not recall a single player of star quality.

He had a horrid front office. Had he had Les, maybe things would have been different. But he was getting Marc killed. And trying to turn option QBs into safeties with the 3rd round picks. Lol
Shoulda made the 6 step drops 12 step drops to wear out the guys chasing Marc