Sean McVay explains Rams decision to bench Tre’Davious White in Week 5

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Sean McVay explains Rams decision to bench Tre’Davious White in Week 5​

After spending the first month of the 2024 NFL season with a cornerbacks room that struggled mightily against the pass, Sean McVay made a pretty major change in Week 5, benching former All-Pro Tre'Davious White in favor of a returning Darious Williams.

Earning his first snaps of the season following a spot on IR and his first snaps with the Rams since all the way back in 2021, Williams provided hope at a position that was largely hopeless and played pretty well, allowing just one catch in his debut. But why didn't White play at all? Why was he inactive for the game when an injury could have thrust him back into action?

Asked this very question by reporters after the game, McVay broke down the decision, which ultimately came down to special teams and the presence of another former starter, Ahkello Witherspoon.

“Not sure about those things quite yet. Once we reconnect, I'll have a better answer for you. My mind has been on this group, where we're at and we'll be excited when we do get those guys back,” McVay told reporters. “With Tre'Davious White, it was a coaching decision. He's been a pro in every sense of the word, but [we] get Darious [Williams] back [and] we felt like we were going to have a larger role for Ahkello [Witherspoon]. There are some special teams considerations that go into it. That was what resulted in him being inactive today.”

Was White's benching just a Week 5 thing? Or will he be out of action for the foreseeable future, even if he is fully healthy? Could the Rams release White like the Eagles just did with Devin White? Or is there a world where one of White, Williams, or Cobie Durant kicks it inside now that Quentin Lake is expected to play safety full-time? Unless things take a major turn moving forward, it unfortunately looks like the White signing will go down as a bust for the Rams.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Well, an early bye week lets you reset early. I was hoping White was going to be a steal since it was a gamble. As we get bodies back, there might not be an active roster spot for him. I guess Speights plateaued in his development? I thought we'd need to see him some more. ???

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just don't send me to the Raiders for Crosby! ~ T. White

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
It's been just over a year from his injury. I see more health-upside, so I'd hang on to him.
Can't see a trade getting much for him - maybe a conditional low pick swap.

CB Tre’Davious White, Los Angeles Rams

What looked like a promising campaign for the Rams has come to a screeching halt early, mostly due to insurmountable injuries. Another problem is the defense, which has been gashed all year. Los Angeles ranks 32nd in EPA allowed per play. Rookie Jared Verse and defensive lineman Kobie Turner are the only regular starters to earn a PFF overall grade above 65.0, as players like White have struggled.

Coming off two major season-ending injuries in three years, White hasn’t fared especially well in 2024. He’s posted a 50.2 PFF overall grade and a 49.3 PFF coverage mark, allowing a 147.8 passer rating when targeted — the worst among qualified cornerbacks. White was even a healthy scratch in Week 5.

The unfortunate reality appears that the Rams will have to wave the white flag at some point in 2024. That doesn’t mean trading Matthew Stafford, but general manager Les Snead should try to net assets as he can — and the soon-to-be free agent White classifies. Teams such as the Colts, Vikings or Cowboys might work as destinations.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
It’s too bad because he looked really good in training camp which was surprising given his recent injuries. I still don’t know if it was a wise move to bench him in favor of Ahkello so soon after picking him up.

JBRam77

Rookie
terrible planning by the Rams. Tre White ? The minute they signed him I knew it was a disaster. The Bills couldn’t wait to get rid of him. Parkinson, Curl and Jonah Jackson look like D, D and F signings now too. Is it the coaching or the talent mis- evaluation or both. Only one that can save the horrible Free Agent signings is Darious Williams but Im not holding my breath of nothing more than average play as the main CB.