Scouting notes, 1st half Niners game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
A few observations on re-watch:

Big props to #83 Nikola Kalinic for what was arguably the biggest play of the half. Kalinic on the edge with a terrific block on the fake punt that just barely gives Rivers enough room for the conversion. GREAT call by McVay and Blackburn there, down 14-0 and with zero momentum.

I'm sticking up for Tre White, he looks solid in his play and has just barely gotten beat a few times. And really stuck his nose in on the run game, had 2 ferocious stops.

Niners second TD drive: I thought it was 3 bullshit calls on the Rams but it was "only" two. First one: An extremely ticky-tack holding call on White, he just barely grabbed him, even on slo-mo. Second one: an appropriate call, Carnell Lake mugged his guy away from the play. (There wasn't any call on Cobie Durant for nudging his man toward the boundary line.) Third one: another very ticky-tack call on Curl... the 49er receiver just barreled into him, and he extended his arms out to protect himself for a sec. Again, one of those "letter of the law" calls that could easily have been a no-call and probably should have been.

Rams get pushed around and are down 14-0 middle of 2nd quarter... and then back up to face 3rd and 29 on the ensuing drive.... D looks like shit, O looks like shit.... pass yards are 96 to negative 9.... just no way the Rams can win this game.... RIGHT?!?!?

Rams DT's getting gashed for runs up the middle. To my eye, Turner and Fiske look a lot better vs. pass than run. Tyler Davis with a real nice fill on a first and goal, stuffing the run for a 3 yard loss.

Neville Gallimore continues to be unimpressive. His name is better suited for a British tax accountant.

Niners #29 with a blatant late hit on KW. #29 took two long steps AFTER Williams was down, then smashes into him on the ground. Bullshit non-call.

Not sure why Alaric had such a low rating from PFF, he looked good to me out there. I'm grading him on a curve though because he went against Bosa and held his own. They gave him some help though-- finally-- maybe the Rams coaches finally see they gotta help out their LT when he's matched up vs an elite DE.

Dos Dos!! Two-touch Tutu!!

Amin and Sanchez are underrated. They both consistently made good observations, especially in the blocking game.

It's now a trend with Verse: ferocious disruptor who has trouble wrapping up at the very end. Don't get me wrong-- he's playing phenomenal, especially for a rookie. Great intensity, speed, power, and burst. But I lost track of the number of whiffs, at least 3 or 4 just in the first half alone. But it's worth it for sure, he blows up plays even if he doesn't quite get the final tackle.

BY was a monster. TFL's, forced fumble, great overall play.

More snaps for Whittington please. His YAC ability is scary. Looks like he belongs.

In 3 games I have yet to see Curl make a big play. Always a step late.

Reeder with a couple nice stuffs, and also a couple over-runs.

Kyren's TD catch and flip: DEFINITELY a candidate for play of the year. WOW!!!

Overall impression of first half: Unbelievable that the Rams stayed in this one. After a quarter and half the Niners were dominating on both sides of the ball. But then the fake punt (WOW!) and Kyren's Superman flip (WOW!) kept them in it.

Other observations or comments welcome.....

Last edited:

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Curl on that TD where he just stands there as the receiver crosses his face... It makes me think he is getting too focused on the wrong shit. Like staring into the backfield. There is a point where your responsibility trumps watching the backfield, like when a WR is open next to you in the fucking endzone.

The nature of that particular mistake bugs me.

Also another thing that bugs me is Lake. Dude is a captain. He is loved by the coaches. He gets snaps and opportunity. But there isn't any real plays being made by him. A team leader who can't make plays isn't a good thing.

Then you have McCullough. Who just seems to have good things happen when he is out there.

Idk about these safeties man. Expected a lot more. Still do.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great post @ XXXIVwin! Much appreciated. I nominate you to be the new 20 Randon Thoughts guy.

And @ Merlin... IDK about these safeties either. I also thought Lake and Curl were gonna be studs. Let's keep our hopes up for Kam Kinchens and that the others start playing better.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Curl on that TD where he just stands there as the receiver crosses his face... It makes me think he is getting too focused on the wrong shit. Like staring into the backfield. There is a point where your responsibility trumps watching the backfield, like when a WR is open next to you in the fucking endzone.

The nature of that particular mistake bugs me.

Also another thing that bugs me is Lake. Dude is a captain. He is loved by the coaches. He gets snaps and opportunity. But there isn't any real plays being made by him. A team leader who can't make plays isn't a good thing.

Then you have McCullough. Who just seems to have good things happen when he is out there.

Idk about these safeties man. Expected a lot more. Still do.
Agreed. Curl and Lake have not looked right. I figured they were more Strong safety types but they have been bad in coverage, not just mediocre. Is Curl thinking too much? Or is he a slow thinker?

I’d like to see more of McCollough also. I hope this defensive roster is flexible rather than set in stone. There are a few players that I hope get a chance to vie for starting roles. Or maybe some guys just need more time to learn their roles. Curl is new to the team. But, Lake played pretty well in the star last year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's now a trend with Verse: ferocious disruptor who has trouble wrapping up at the very end. Don't get me wrong-- he's playing phenomenal, especially for a rookie. Great intensity, speed, power, and burst. But I lost track of the number of whiffs, at least 3 or 4 just in the first half alone. But it's worth it for sure, he blows up plays even if he doesn't quite get the final tackle.
He has been disruptive which is a good start for the rookie. He looks the part. It’s reasonable to expect he will finish plays the more things slow down…

He is looking like a great pick.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, Curl has been a disappointment so far. Hope they can coach him up so he improves.