SB 53 Sean McVay post game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
First time I’ve seen McVay dazed and confused at what just happened.

He’ll figure it out

TexasRam

Legend
The fact that Mcvay take the blame is why is he one of the greatest coaches in the game.

He did get outcoached but he was also down his primary underneath targets which are critical in a game like this (Gurley and Kupp).

Bellichick did lots of losing before he finally won his first Super Bowl, and I am not convinced he's not using his tried and true cheating methods either.

We will win Super Bowls with Mcvay and Goff, many of them, trust me.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I've watched it four times now. Why, no clue. I'm gonna regret tomorrow bad if I don't just settle on some Zzzzz.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
Handled his presser with class. Obviously he is devastated.

I can handle getting beat when you play your best football but when you don’t ... it’s hard to take. So as coach I can imagine he would be feeling pretty low.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
Can he please stop with the Gurley is healthy crap? Clearly that’s not the case or else he woulda gotten 20’touches this week and in NO. Is the team in some kind of trouble if they underreport an injury? Is that why they saying this publicly?

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
This is a very young team and as bad as today is the whole Rams team now has the experience needed to be more successful in the future. These missed opportunities are always bitter but using it as fuel to make another run next year and using this as a lesson for the future. Just remember the future is very bright for this team and maybe this was the lesson that will drive the team like last years lost to the Falcons in the playoffs.

Great Season Rams!

TXRams86

The Infamous
Both he and Goff looked absolutely deflated. I hope McVay can learn from his play calling this game and not let this game define him. Some coaches can really obsess over a huge loss like this. Same goes with Goff.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He should take the blame . No adjustments were made to dump the ball off when they blitzed . No TE play at all . I'm still in shock at how poorly the offense was prepared with 2 weeks . Same story as the Bears game , but I blamed that on cold weather . So much for that theory. Great year stained by the worst super bowl in history . It's time for me to take a break from living and dying with football. Life is too short to get upset over something I have no control over . See you guys in a few months

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
He got schooled by the best head coach in NFL history - it happens, he’s young, he’ll figure it out

We had a championship year NFC CHAMPS

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay is one classy dude. We're in great hands.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Agreed with not adjusting to what the pats were giving us. I was really surprised that the TE's had no catches and I think no targets. Goff looked flustered and so did McVay but they will figure it out. I think McVays 11 personnel did him in, he didn't really change it up and he didn't get away from the outside zone run. The pats were banking on him running that because they were shooting the gaps and we never really adjusted. We rans some outside stretch plays but not enough to change the way the pats were playing the game. Oh well...
My biggest concern is a lot of these guys that came here this year were on one year contracts or older players possibly in their last year of playing, it's going to be hard to replace guys like... Suh, Talib, Whitworth etc. And it's going to be even harder getting back to the SB next year. Teams are going to look at this film and use it to their advantage in years to come. Our coaches have to adjust, and in my opinion Mcvay needs an actual Offensive coordinator helping him out on gameday. He can't see everything.
However, we do have a good young nucleolus filled with good to great players, and an outstanding coaching staff, Wade put together an epic game plan vs. the pats and it's something we can build on. Here's to next year and many more to come!

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I have to agree with Gabriel 18 in this one. What did McVay do for 2 weeks. All you have to do is watch the KC game to understand that the Pats were going to bring 6/7 guys on some plays.

I stated in threads the 2 biggest keys were get pressure on Brady and max protect early to get Goff in a rhythm. As well as add to that have a gmeplan when they blitz.

Ram65

Legend
I was surprise he didn't have a better game plan. Looked like they didn't expect the pass rush coming from different players. No short pass options. It seemed like the defense knew exactly what to expect.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
McVay is a great coach but I am growing concerned that his flaws are fatal and he will NOT learn, contrary to what so many others are saying ("Oh, he'll learn from this..."), leading to the Rams being unable to win the big games. We'll see. But there is legitimate cause for concern. Pass happy. Abandoning the run too early. Too much reliance on play action passes that are too long to develop. Not enough variety in formations. Etc. The same ways we have been losing for months.

I could write an entire essay on extra things that went wrong in this game in particular (TEs being completely ignored, not nearly enough runs to the outside, etc.) but this isn't the thread. I, along with many others, have vented on that at length in the appropriate forum.

Still, he is a great coach, and it's not like there are any better candidates out there, so we have to stand by him. Jeff Fisher should remind us all of just how lucky we are with McVay. And the fact that McVay was up against the best coaching staff in the business is also a mitigating factor for Sean. Bill Belichick is for my money the best coach in the history of the NFL. Getting out-coached by him isn't so much the problem. It happens. It was just the magnitude of the disparity that was and is worrisome. We didn't just lose the coaching battle. We got completely and thoroughly schooled. I don't think McVay could have been embarrassed any worse if he tried.

Important caveat: I'll wait to hear about Gurley's true health status before forming any final opinions on this loss, both regarding McVay and otherwise. If Gurley was effectively neutered by injury, the reality is that this team likely overachieved in just getting to the Superbowl. The offense really does run through Todd. If you take him out of the equation, and then add Cooper Kupp being injured as arguably our most important WR, those losses are pretty hard to overcome on offence against top-tier opposition. This team can win plenty of football games and be very competitive without Gurley and Kupp. But winning a Super Bowl without them is probably too much to ask. It would take some luck ("any given Sunday"...), starting with a favorable match-up, and the Patriots sure don't fit that description. If Gurley truly was healthy, or close to it, well.... we've got some huge issues to address.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
My biggest concern is the Martz factor. Once teams started to understand how to stop what he did he became far less effective. SM is not MM but I can't help to be concerned. Our O has been less effective recently...meanining as a whole over the the last several games

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I’m a bit disappointed because the counters to that defense wouldn’t require that much experience to figure out.

I’d feel better if I saw some TE releases, or targets in general, or more screens or running back dump offs. Especially since KC was able to do it

The Rams didn’t start playing better until McVay had the offense get set after the 15 second mark, so Belichick couldn’t adjust his defense. I wish he had thought of that sooner.

It really sucks wasting such a great defensive performance. Two TDS is all it would have took. That was like child’s play most of the year.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
The fact that McVay accepts responsibility is huge. Players love to play for a coach that is critical of themself, as opposed to a coach that makes excuses and blames others. He is young the team is young they will evolve together, this wont be their last shot at a SB.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
My biggest concern is the Martz factor. Once teams started to understand how to stop what he did he became far less effective. SM is not MM but I can't help to be concerned. Our O has been less effective recently...meanining as a whole over the the last several games

McVay's reaction alone in the post-game press conference removes any concern about the Martz factor with him. Martz was a supreme egotist and was highly defensive after we were upset by the Patriots in SB 36. When asked why he didn't run more - when the Patriots were clearly selling out for the pass - Martz doubled down and said the Rams should have thrown the ball even more than they did. He never accepted responsibility for his part in that loss.

Contrast that with McVay who is taking all the responsibility for that loss, even though Gurley's obviously limited status and the lack of Cooper Kupp were limiting factors. Yet he doesn't make excuses, even when we are making them for him. If you want to know why the O was less effective following the KC game, there's your reason. No Kupp, one-legged Todd Gurley. And yet we still managed to get to the Super Bowl.

McVay's temperament is a complete 180 from that of Martz. I'm not worried about him at all.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
I was surprise he didn't have a better game plan. Looked like they didn't expect the pass rush coming from different players. No short pass options. It seemed like the defense knew exactly what to expect.
2051FBD1-A5AF-4A19-BBE9-72D0954FBCEA.png