Sando: The good, bad of Jason Smith's Situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Guard

UDFA
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... -situation

by Mike Sando

The St. Louis Rams hired Paul T. Boudreau as offensive line coach in part because they hoped he could help 2009 first-round draft choice Jason Smith realize his potential.

That remains the plan even though veteran Barry Richardson has started siphoning off first-team snaps from Smith heading into the Rams' exhibition opener Sunday at Indianapolis. Richardson, 26, started Kansas City's last 32 games.

The move to get more snaps for Richardson so early in the evaluation process affirms Boudreau's commitment to putting the five best linemen on the field no matter what. It's a bad initial sign for Smith, who has had his hands full in camp against defensive end Chris Long in particular. But it's a good sign for the Rams that their line coach isn't going to prop up a highly drafted player at the expense of the team.

"We're going to play the best five," Boudreau said during an interview at Rams camp last week. "Don’t matter if you're a draft choice, doesn't matter if you’re a free agent, doesn't matter if you've been cut by four teams."

Boudreau, who was with Atlanta through last season, drove home that message early in his tenure with the Rams. He pointed to Rams guard Harvey Dahl, one of his former Falcons players, as proof. Dahl and tackle Tyson Clabo became mainstay starters in Atlanta even though neither was drafted and both had been released repeatedly.

Smith's status as the second overall choice of the 2009 draft isn't going to get him anywhere. To win the starting job, Smith will have to improve in pass protection.

"His whole thing that he needs to work on the most is understanding angles in protection, understanding he has long arms but he doesn’t use them and try to get his length back in protection," Boudreau said. "Try to use his hands. He wants to hit a guy all the time and you don't have to hit a guy in pass protection. You just have to stay in front of him. When he does it right, you have to really emphasize it on the tape."

Smith, 26, started six games last season, missing the final 10 games after suffering a severe concussion while making a tackle following a turnover against Dallas in Week 7. He started 15 games the previous season and five as a rookie.

The Rams' previous leadership drafted Smith as a left tackle, but the right side is a better fit for players with limitations in pass protection.

Boudreau, who coached the Rams' line in 2006-2007 as well, put together an Orlando Pace highlight video for Smith to study. Pace, the first overall choice of the 1997 draft, was a seven-time Pro Bowl choice and five-time Associated Press All-Pro selection.

"I had a bunch of snaps of Orlando in one-on-one pass protection situations, showing him how patient Orlando was, and his angles, the things he did to just kind of ride a guy by the quarterback," Boudreau said. "He didn’t kill the guy. You don’t have to beat 'em up. It’s like playing basketball. Stay between your guy and the hoop. And so when I showed him Orlando and showed him how smooth he was, and it all was because of his patience, and I said we’ve got to slow this thing down for him. He's a work in progress."

Code:
   1995-2012 Rams OL Draft Choices: First Two Rounds
Draft 	Round 	Pick 	Rams OL 	Starts for team
2010 	2 	33 	Rodger Saffold 	25
2009 	1 	2 	Jason Smith 	26
2005 	1 	19 	Alex Barron 	74
1997 	1 	1 	Orlando Pace 	154
1995 	2 	38 	Zach Wiegert 	46
1995 	2 	62 	Jesse James 	0

Guard

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.ramsherd.com/2012-articles/p ... acked.html

Camp Battles: Paul Boudreau vs Jason Smith

by Will

jason-smith-practice.jpg

Paul Boudreau knew when he came on board as the Rams' offensive line coach that he had a fight on his hands. He inherited the one of the worst-ranked offensive lines in the game, whose franchise tackles were both undermined by injuries and ineffective play.

Two weeks into Rams camp, 30 days before the start of the season, and Rodger Saffold is playing two of every four downs with the first team, and Jason Smith has been bumped to the second team in favor of a guy who bombed out of Kansas City. Writes Mike Sando for ESPN:

"We're going to play the best five," Boudreau said during an interview at Rams camp last week. "Don’t matter if you're a draft choice, doesn't matter if you’re a free agent, doesn't matter if you've been cut by four teams."

While it may not be heartening to think of the current state of our "best five" -- especially with newly-signed center Scott Wells still doing all his work in the film room -- this isn't the first time Boudreau has been in this situation. Flash back to 2007 with me, if you will.

The Falcons' offense was in a shambles after Michael Vick's infamous arrest and suspension, and the offensive line was Football Outsiders' worst-rated unit in the game. The offensive line, decimated by injury, was reduced to starting 2nd-year players Quinn Ojinnaka (5th round pick) and Tyson Clabo (undrafted) at tackle. Enter Paul Boudreau, who was hired by new coach Mike Smith in the 2008 offseason.

Working with mostly inherited pieces, including a healthier swing tackle in Todd Weiner and undrafted benchwarmer Harvey Dahl, and an offense geared more on power-running and passing efficiency, the Falcons' line took a massive step forward.

ATL 2007: 3.42 adj. line yards (32). 7.9% sack rate (24)
ATL 2008: 4.22 adj. line yards (9). 3.6% sack rate (5)

He pulled off a similar recovery in his previous top in St Louis, from 2006-07 in the waning years of Mike Martz. Pass protection didn't improve, though that might be chalked up to Martz's insistence on seven-step drops and a long-developing route tree. Oh, and Alex Barron. Again, the appearance of a brash, slab-handed rookie guard (Richie Incognito) figured prominently.

STL 2005: 3.80 adj. line yards (23). 7.4% sack rate (19)
STL 2006: 4.41 adj. line yards (8). 7.9% sack rate (24)

Let's go back even further, to his arrival in Jacksonville in 2003. The Jaguars already had a strong run-blocking unit in support of Fred Taylor, but their pass-protection of a rapidly aging Mark Brunell was abysmal. Enter a new coaching staff, and another rookie guard, Vince Manuwai. Throw in a new, more mobile quarterback in Byron Leftwich, and you have another Boudreau miracle.

JAX 2002: 4.46 adj. line yards (6). 9.1% sack rate (30)
JAX 2003: 4.44 adj. line yards (7). 5.1% sack rate (6)

Now. Let's reset our expectations. Arguably, the Rams have even less to work with on the line than any of his previous stops. Boudreau was able to inherit at least three healthy starters in each of his previous stops -- here, he may have only one guaranteed in old friend Harvey Dahl. But Boudreau has a clear track record of getting players into fighting shape, and getting them working as a unit. Boudreau's criticism of Smith underscores his overall unit-building philosophy:

"His whole thing that he needs to work on the most is understanding angles in protection, understanding he has long arms but he doesn’t use them and try to get his length back in protection. He wants to hit a guy all the time and you don't have to hit a guy in pass protection. You just have to stay in front of him."

In other words, don't be selfish. Don't try to overcome years of frustration and ineffectiveness in a single snap. Keep it simple. Stay with your teammates. Be aware of your surroundings. Or find yourself benched in favor of someone else.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thanks G.

I like Will. He always puts a lot of effort into his blog posts, and I don't think he gets enough exposure.

Guard

UDFA
X said:
Thanks G.

I like Will. He always puts a lot of effort into his blog posts, and I don't think he gets enough exposure.

Yeah, I thought that was great work tracking down those numbers of Boudreau's. Good stuff. Hope that he can get Smith playing at an effective level. We know Smith can run block. Hopefully, Boudreau can help him figure it out with the pass pro.... and stay healthy!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Guard said:
X said:
Thanks G.

Yeah, I thought that was great work tracking down those numbers of Boudreau's. Good stuff. Hope that he can get Smith playing at an effective level. We know Smith can run block. Hopefully, Boudreau can help him figure it out with the pass pro.... and stay healthy!
Sometimes all it takes is a different perspective and a different method of teaching. Hope so too.

BTW, I understand you had a birthday not too long ago.

So ... yeah. Happy belated. :bg:

Guard

UDFA
X said:
Guard said:
X said:
Thanks G.

Sometimes all it takes is a different perspective and a different method of teaching. Hope so too.

It's been a great month. Celebrated my 3rd birthday after pretty much crashing on an operating table and walked my youngest daughter down the aisle and gained a awesome new son-in-law. Life is great!

Now if we can just resuscitate the Rams back to life... I have very positive vibes about the season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Guard said:
X said:
Guard said:
X said:
Thanks G.

It's been a great month. Celebrated my 3rd birthday after pretty much crashing on an operating table and walked my youngest daughter down the aisle and gained a awesome new son-in-law. Life is great!

Now if we can just resuscitate the Rams back to life... I have very positive vibes about the season.
Atta boy. Look the Reaper in the eye and say "Not today, bud."
:nice: