Sam Rogers placed on waivers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ounder-sam-rogers-sign-two-undrafted-rookies/

Posted by Josh Alper on May 15, 2018, 12:41 PM EDT
gettyimages-841377280-e1526402502788.jpg

Getty Images

All eight of the Rams’ 2017 draft picks opened the offseason on the team’s roster, but one of them won’t be there for the rest of the offseason program.

The Rams announced on Tuesday that fullback Sam Rogers has been placed on waivers. Rogers was one of two sixth-round picks for the team last year and spent the season on the practice squad. The Rams also waived running back Lenard Tillery.

They filled the roster spots with a pair of undrafted free agents. Defensive tackle Dalton Keene was the Missouri Valley Conference defensive player of the year at Illinois State last season and safety Charles Williams is coming off an 80-tackle season at Louisville.

With Keene and Williams in the fold, the Rams now have 16 undrafted rookies on the roster along with 11 players selected in last month’s draft.

Psycho_X

Legend
That was quick. They kind of took a leap picking him last season. Some times those leaps fall short. Godspeed Sam Rogers, we hardly knew ya.

Dalton Keene is a cool pickup for local reasons. He was a beast in the MVC. Could be a 3-4 DE but he's kind of lumbering and stiff. Good nose for the ball and is good getting off direct one on one blocks. A long shot with our deep d-line but maybe a PS guy.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I mean, he was a great story but it's not surprising, it was gonna be an uphill battle for the dude to make the roster as it is. Kinda felt like they took a flyer on the guy last year. Just a 6th rounder. It may be somewhat sobering to think that we're getting a little excited about other 6th rounders this year...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
A sixth round FB gets waived in his second year. Not exactly shocking but best of luck to him.

Ram65

Legend
Rogers was an interesting pick. In the end he was a little too small and too slow. He had some nice college highlights.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Shame. I thought Rogers would take the next step. Apparently, it was not to be.

Good luck to him.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
It used to be teams looked for fullbacks that could help on special teams. With the way the game has changed, teams are actually looking for special teams stars that can fill in at fullback.

WestCoastRam

Legend
My guess, the guy just didn't progress in the strength and conditioning program the way they needed him to...

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
My guess, the guy just didn't progress in the strength and conditioning program the way they needed him to...
if you've ever seen photos of him at workouts you'd see he worked out very hard physically. It was always the mental part of the game I questioned from watching him last preseason.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ounder-sam-rogers-sign-two-undrafted-rookies/

Posted by Josh Alper on May 15, 2018, 12:41 PM EDT
gettyimages-841377280-e1526402502788.jpg

Getty Images

All eight of the Rams’ 2017 draft picks opened the offseason on the team’s roster, but one of them won’t be there for the rest of the offseason program.

The Rams announced on Tuesday that fullback Sam Rogers has been placed on waivers. Rogers was one of two sixth-round picks for the team last year and spent the season on the practice squad. The Rams also waived running back Lenard Tillery.

They filled the roster spots with a pair of undrafted free agents. Defensive tackle Dalton Keene was the Missouri Valley Conference defensive player of the year at Illinois State last season and safety Charles Williams is coming off an 80-tackle season at Louisville.

With Keene and Williams in the fold, the Rams now have 16 undrafted rookies on the roster along with 11 players selected in last month’s draft.
Will someone please tell me how in the hell is Dominique Hatfield still on the team?

WestCoastRam

Legend
if you've ever seen photos of him at workouts you'd see he worked out very hard physically. It was always the mental part of the game I questioned from watching him last preseason.

Look, chances are he probably needed to take steroids to make the team, working out hard (and "want to") was not gonna be enough and the honest - truly honest - answer is that even with steroids, he may not have bulked up enough to still make the team.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I liked the pick at the time, figured he would help in goal line. The 2017 todd Gurley didn't need lead blocking and was a monster in goal line.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Will someone please tell me how in the hell is Dominique Hatfield still on the team?
I could say the same of a few others.

I don't have the recall...but I know there were BETTER players in the 6th round we could have gambled on...bunch of TE's....a couple of CB's & Safeties....and maybe a lineman....whatevers....

I don't think you draft FB's in 2018....udfa's only...probably ex-college blocking TE's would be best...or small ass but fast guards....think 6'1 about 270's....see if they could trim up to 250

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I mean, he was a great story but it's not surprising, it was gonna be an uphill battle for the dude to make the roster as it is. Kinda felt like they took a flyer on the guy last year. Just a 6th rounder. It may be somewhat sobering to think that we're getting a little excited about other 6th rounders this year...
This year's sixth round steal could become next year's training camp cut. I don't get excited about players until I see them in a game.