Salary Cap/Valuation Related Questions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey Kevin,

I had a few somewhat cap related questions for you.

1. In Quintin Mikell's contract, how much cap room do we save in 2013 if we release him? Reading the information out there, it seemed that he had 2011 8 million dollar bonus that was prorated through the life of the contract. If that is true, I think we'd save only 3 million if we cut him vs. 7 million if the bonus was split in 4 non-guaranteed parts. That's what was confusing me. I could also be wrong and the bonus was already paid and accounted for on past caps. So I'm just wondering mainly about that specific contract.

2. In establishing market value for a player, how difficult does Danny Amendola's situation make your job? What I mean is that Amendola is a slot WR but at the same time, our best WR. In the past, slot WRs have made far less(ex. Davonne Bess and Lance Moore) than outside WRs. So how do you find an accurate valuation for a guy like Danny at newer niche type position?

3. How do you weigh history and leadership vs. expected production when trying to figure out how much to offer a player? This is a business but do you offer a face of the franchise and fan favorite like Steven Jackson more than his market value would normally dictate based on his leadership and history or do you make the tough decision to offer him what you believe his play is worth and risk losing him?

I think that's it for now. I understand if you can't answer these questions, Kevin, for legal reasons.

kdemoff

UDFA
1. Yes, Quentin's 2011 roster bonus was pro-rated so there is $3m of pro-ration this year and $3m of pro-ration next year still remaining. We did not have the ability in 2011 to use the pay as you go model with all of the players so some had pro-ration like Quentin and others like Harvey Dahl were pay as you go. We've been able to use the pay as you go model for the most part with all contracts in 2012.

2. I don't think you can value Danny as a "slot" player, I think you have to value Danny as a wide receiver. Using comps for a player like Danny will always be different, because he plays both outside and in the slot. It is likely that many different people throughout the league could use different comps in this situation. The same could be said for a "nickel" corner who starts on the outside but jumps inside on 3rd down. I think with Danny the most important thing is defining his value to our team and valuing him that way versus worrying about what similar players in the league make.

3. To answer your last question, contract offers and values are as much art as science. There is no right answer to your last question. The most important question is can the player help you win football games -- that can be through talent, character or leadership. Does he make your team better? I think the leadership and face of the franchise argument is probably greater in other sports where you have local television deals and more games to sell tickets to when you need star-power to get people in front of the TV or in the stands. If we build a winning football team, people will show up for the logo on the helmet just as much as the name on the back. That being said, I think its important to make sure you treat your leaders with respect and recognize all of these dynamics come into play.