S or CB at 13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

S or CB at 13? (State Who)

• S

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • CB

Votes: 17 54.8%

• Total voters

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
That's a tough call. When I look at the Rams I like the starters. We're shaping up to be a very solid team as a whole. I'd say S will be weakest unit on the team after/if we pick go OL in the top ten. McCleod is an upgradable player. As for CB, I like Johnson and Jenkins but there's some pretty serious depth issues going on here. A S like Pryor/Dix or a CB like Gilbert makes a ton of sense, here.

With Dunbar returning, I like taking a LB in the second. I don't see a big need to use the pick on a guy like Mosely this high. Picking a player like Van Noy to bring up slowly seems to be a great solution. Therefore, I'm not adding LB to the options.

Pretty cut and dry. There's no wrong answers here...

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I like Pryor, but the Rams already have their big hitter in McDonald.

I think Clinton-Dix is a better fit, so he would be my pick.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Give me Dennard or Gilbert. If both guys are gone, try to trade down then take one whomever is left HaHa or Pryor.

We can use the other second round pick from trading down to take Brooks from FSU. Brooks has the speed and instincts to fill the hole at FS

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yeah, I gotta go Dennard. He looks to be the next great shutdown corner and I feel the drop off after him is greater than the drop off at FS after Pryor and Dix. Reynolds, Bailey, and Brooks don't seem to be too far behind them. Of course we could wait and take Sammy Watkins' brother Jaylen at CB.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, I gotta go Dennard. He looks to be the next great shutdown corner and I feel the drop off after him is greater than the drop off at FS after Pryor and Dix. Reynolds, Bailey, and Brooks don't seem to be too far behind them. Of course we could wait and take Sammy Watkins' brother Jaylen at CB.

Ah yes, depth of a position in the draft is the way to go. If S was weak and CB was deep this year, then S would be the answer.

I voted CB barring the fact I really like Pryor. Several good safeties will be there in the second or third rounds.

I voted CB.

Also wanna point out that in a blitz heavy scheme like Williams's, one on one's in the secondary are pivotal. CB's become bigger assets.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
If you believe that our DBs gave such large cushions last year because we didn't have a good centerfielder, then you think that McGee can give a 10 yard cushion to the WR as well as anyone. :whistle:

Just a thought.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I am not sure the will got for either at 13 if they stay there but I picked S and would take Pryor over HaHa.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am not sure the will got for either at 13 if they stay there but I picked S and would take Pryor over HaHa.

agree. I actually think we will address the secondary in the first round but for the sake of the poll i voted safety. I feel we already have 2 solid corners and only 1 solid safety

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
agree. I actually think we will address the secondary in the second round but for the sake of the poll i voted safety. I feel we already have 2 solid corners and only 1 solid safety

CoachO

Hall of Fame
this is a slam dunk for me. They are woefully thin at CB. Many are saying we have 2 decent CBs in Jenkins and Johnson. But given the percentage of snaps that involve the sub packages (Nickel or Dime), you almost have to have THREE starting caliber CBs. Right now, they have 3 on the roster, period. With Finnegan moving on, and not tendering Pointer, they are left with a very raw McGee. (4 if you count practice squad member D. Woodard)

From a pure body count, they are in much better shape at Safety. Even with the departure of Stewart and Giordano, they still have 4 safeties as holdovers. All young and developing.

Consistent with the thought process of needing THREE starting caliber CBs, having 4 bodies leads me to believe they will lean heavily in that direction rather than committing to adding safeties. Which is consistent with this regimes history. They have drafted 3 CBs in the two previous drafts, in addition to a major FA signing (Finnegan). Compared to drafting ONE Safety (McDonald) and adding one 2nd tier FA (Girodano).

They also have had pretty good success finding UDFA to compete at the Safety position. In this system, with the philosophy of this coaching staff, CB will always be the priority.

Memphis Ram

Legend
BPA within reason, no matter the position. I hope the Rams don't limit themselves to just two positions at that spot.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
You can really go either way cuz in the end it's essential we draft both. I think the weakest point on the defense is FS but there is zero real depth behind Jenkins and Johnson. Was McGee the victim of poor scheming on the part of Walton or is he too raw/undeveloped to have played a competent role at CB last year? I'm not sure but I can't see him as any part of the answer in this equation as of yet. I voted S but I'm pretty evenly split. It probably depends a lot on who is available but I like HaHa and Dennard.

A55VA6

Legend
Well depending who's on the board, we may not go S or CB at that spot. But I see something in Calvin Pryor. Just glad I'm not making the decisions... so many players to choose from.

xander47

Rookie
The Rams' brass just doesn't think highly of the safety position. I'll go with CB/BPA since I think someone will fall. Someone always falls.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Cb. Can use one now and in 2 years it's doubtful the Rams can sign both JJ and Tru in the same year if they improve as they should.
Dennard.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Everyone already knows which I prefer. I want Pryor. But...they easily could take a CB over both him and Haha. I would be fine with that since we do need another CB. Just prefer one of the top safeties in a thin safety class over a CB in a very deep CB class.

Mr.stlouis - Have to respectfully disagree with you man, I think the depth at CB is much much great than at S. There are many CB's I like throughout the entire draft all the way into UDFA territory. Can't say the same for S.