RX Side Effects

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Are complete shit.

While the doctors take their sweet ass time figuring out what is wrong with me, they are currently giving me the same pain treatment as someone with RA(Something I Do Not Have)

They have me on Meloxicam, coupled with Cymbalta for pain management. As you all know, Cymbalta is an anti depressant in nature, but they tell me it works great for pain relief as well.

About 4 months ago they put me on 30mg of it and the two meds combined took care of the pain. And the boost in my mood from the Cymbalta was welcomed. The pain started creeping through again and last month they put me on 60mg, the max dose.

The pain is gone again, but I noticed about two weeks ago that I started having these lulls where I just wanted to be alone and be quiet. It would last 15-30 minutes but they are coming more often and lasting hours it seems now. All I want to do it go home and not deal with anyone. I even have moments of terrible thoughts. I’ve never felt anything like this in my life.

I am not sure what to do. Without the medicine, I walk like Frankenstein. With it, I want to jump in front of a train.

Why would a doctor prescribe something like this?

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
I'm sorry you're dealing with that condition. From what I've seen medicine is more an art than science. Everyone is different and that is never more true than in drug efficacy. Hang in there.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’ll be fine. I go Wednesday for an evaluation. They said they may need to change my medication all together.

I just don’t get why you would give something to someone that makes them feel like offing themselves. I am not a depressed person. If it does that to me, what does it do for someone who is? And maybe it doesn’t work the way it’s designed.

Just crazy, the things we put in our bodies, the risks we take...just to ease symptoms somewhere else

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Meds affect people differently... there is no perfect list to go off of. That is the reason that drug manufacturers are required to tell you the possible side effects... and it's the reason the docs usually start out with low doses when 1st prescribing a med to a patient. It's not an exact science... it's almost like a science experiment that starts off new with every patient.

It took me over a year working with my doc to get my pain medication right. Trial and error was the only way unfortunately.

Sounds like you need to get completely off the one that is giving you those thoughts of jumping in front of a train asap. I'm sure the doc will be able to find something that works better for YOU. That same med may be perfect for others... but it obviously isn't the best option for you.

Sadly... many conditions cause pain. Some are easier to treat than others, but many conditions never go away. So some require lifetime treatments. That's why the docs call it Pain Management instead of Pain Cures. The treatments may require adjustments throughout a patient's entire life.

The important thing is that you communicate what is happening with your doc asap. It certainly seems that you are doing this. I hope you find a better med to treat your condition... sometimes there is no perfect treatment though. Good luck.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
I agree, we're all different in how we metabolize meds. I am very sensitive to lots of medicine.
I'm on Carbadopa/ Levadopa for Parkinson's and I have to split the 8 hour dose and take half every 4 hours. Small adjustments can help. Just talk to your doctor.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Those anti depressants are extremely powerful drugs and each one can have a different reaction.
I saw them up close and personal with my ex wife.
She struggled with PTSD.
She was off and on with them because she couldnt stand the way they made her feel.
When she was on Prozac, she became very 1 dimensional emotionally. It's as if she was there, but she had no drive to do anything.

Her doctor switched her over to Welbutrin. This had the exact opposite effect. It actually made everything worse. Her mood swings became uncontrollable. Even violent.
It quickly finalized the end of our relationship.

The point being, that 2 different antidepressants can have very different effects.
Possibly switching to a different med may help. Though I'm unsure of the pain management, other antidepressants may offer, if any.