RUMOR: Rams tried to trade for Trent Williams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wize1980

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Wize
Link - https://clutchpoints.com/rams-rumors-la-tried-to-trade-for-trent-williams/

Trent Williams finally got his wish of being traded, as he makes his way to the San Francisco 49ers. However, before he was shipped to San Francisco, Williams was almost sent to another team in the NFC West. According to NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo, the Los Angeles Rams tried to trade for Williams.

Ad ends in 19s

Next Video
3 Times Kobe Bryant was nearly traded

Cancel
Autoplay is paused

82 people are talking about this

On the third and final day of the 2020 NFL Draft, Williams was traded to the 49ers in exchange for a 2020 fifth-round pick and a 2021 third-round pick. Without a doubt, that is a price that the Rams would’ve been willing to pay to acquire Williams.

With Andrew Whitworth returning for another season at left tackle, Sean McVay was interested in possibly bringing Williams in to play guard. Then, the ultimate plan likely would’ve been to slide Williams to left tackle once Whitworth retires.

Similar to Kyle Shanahan, Williams has experience with McVay, when McVay was the Washington Redskins offensive coordinator from 2014-2016. Nevertheless, it was Shanahan who was able to land the seven-time Pro Bowler via trade.

For the Rams, they could have undoubtedly used Williams to help provide some assurance on the offensive line. But with their current cap situation, being able to pay Williams long-term would’ve been a tough task.

Over the course of the offseason, the Rams have parted ways with Todd Gurley, Brandin Cooks, Clay Matthews, and Nickell Robey-Coleman. In addition, Los Angeles couldn’t afford to bring back either Cory Littleton or Dante Fowler.

Seeing that it took two mid-round picks to acquire him, the Rams were interested in a possible trade for Williams. Even though Williams ended up going to their NFC West rivals, it wasn’t for a lack of effort on the Rams’ part.

oldnotdead

Legend
It was a lowball offer from what I'm hearing including Havenstein as part of the deal. I doubt it was a serious offer, just a what if we can steal a guy and unload a contract we don't want. No way they could afford both Havenstein and Williams so it makes sense to me. Moving him to OG doesn't make sense either when you stop and think about it. A $12M OG? They are locked in with Whitmore for 2 years as his dead cap actually rises next year because of the discount for this year.

Factor in his age, illness and injuries and having sat out all of 2019 that's a lot to pay for a one year rental. That's why I don't see it as having been a serious offer from the Rams. They really don't need another aging vet with baggage.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have to think that if the Rams really wanted him they would have gotten the deal done.

And I can't say I'd feel great about paying Williams big money, would not be my style to pay a guy who is 31 that kind of contract so he can ride it into retirement in comfort. Hope that shit backfires for the 9ers.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Sucks that the Whiners got him but im happy with Whit and our guards from last season. C was my concern. Sure it would've been nice to have Williams but who would we have had to lose to get him just to play him out of position?

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Woulda liked to see a trade with hav and put his money towards trent playing right tackle for a year or 2 then replacing whit where he would have been several years younger than whits first year with the rams. Plus he would have been a great option should whit miss any time this year or next.

If they were including hav then the money againstt the cap wasnt an issue and missing a year is usually way overblown. Its not like he forgot how to play or it takes more than one training camp to get back into game shape. If anything hes had time to get healthier.

Hes going to be a problem for us and that money we just gave floyd, well thats now a waste because we have other cheaper options to get nuetralized by a perenial all pro who now has all the motivation in the world.

Big mistake by the rams on not finishing. They had the right idea and had to know he would go to the niners if they failed in trading for him. Looks like last years nfc champ did what it had to do to get better.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think it's good we didn't acquire him. The lengthy injury history with Williams concerns me a great deal, and I wouldn't want to give up a future draft pick for him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah, maybe just kicked the tires... see what it would take.

Looking at the deal they did make, it seems if we were serious enough it could have been done.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe they might have had more interest if they hadn't already signed Whit. More like a show of respect for a player both McVay and O'Connell have both coached before.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think it's good we didn't acquire him. The lengthy injury history with Williams concerns me a great deal, and I wouldn't want to give up a future draft pick for him.

Plus, we'd have to sign him to a longer term deal. So just not a good deal for our cap going forward, with a big money contract for an older player with an injury history. Nope.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I doubt that we were truly in it.

Yeah. Like we probably gotta call from Washington telling us SF, a division rival, was offering X and X for Trent Williams just to see if we had any interest. Snead probably told him, "sure we're always interested. How about a 5th round pick....wait we don't have one this year....a 6th round pick and Rob Havenstein? No? Okay, see ya later.".

TexasRam

Legend
Brought to you by the same Rumor mill that told you the Rams were moving up to RD 1 to draft Ezra Cleveland.

At which time all Rams Fans googled Ezra Cleveland and had visions of the 2018 Rams Offense and comforted each other of better days to come. :)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sure appear to be a one yr & done move for the 9ers IMO.

Okay IF the Rams pulled off this trade where were they going to play Williams? Certainly they would not move Whitworth from lT. When you pay out that kind of salary cap funds you want to play him in the post that gets you the most in his performance.....that would be the lT post.

Whitworth has decline in his grades over the last few seasons but one phase of his game is still very good.....blind side pass protection from the OLT post. Why would you consider moving Whitworth to RT when you have a new redone contract with Rob Havenstein? Williams could move inside to LG but the Rams have over 1/2 dozen of good young talented & improving LG prospects signed & under contract already with Corbett/ Edwards/ Noteboom/ Brewer/ Shelton/ Kolone & Evans.