Rumor: Broncos tried to trade Peyton Manning to Texans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ncos-tried-to-trade-peyton-manning-to-texans/

Report: Broncos tried to trade Peyton Manning to Texans
Posted by Mike Florio on June 23, 2015

350x-151-e1357249048327.jpg
Reuters

Three years ago, quarterback Peyton Manning was interested in the Texans, but the Texans weren’t interested in him. Earlier this year, the Texans reportedly had another chance to get him.

According to Benjamin Allbright of 94.1 FM in Denver, the Broncos tried to trade Manning to Houston during the offseason. He cites “two unrelated official sources” for the report, adding that “certain elements” of the Broncos organization wanted the Brock Osweiler era to start in 2015.

My first reaction was to scoff, but then I remembered this item from PFT regarding the presence of a no-trade clause for 2015 in Manning’s revised contract. Manning didn’t need to ask for a no-trade clause unless he feared that his restructured contract, with a base salary of only $15 million, would make another team more likely to do the deal.

We plan to promptly seek comment from both teams. For now, though, the notion that the Broncos explored the option of moving on from Manning — especially with a new head coach and new offensive coordinator — seems plausible.

UPDATE 8:22 p.m. ET: The Broncos quickly, and emphatically, have denied the report.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...f-attempt-to-trade-peyton-manning-to-houston/

Broncos deny report of attempt to trade Peyton Manning to Houston

Before Benjamin Allbright of 94.1 FM in Denver reported that the Broncos had tried to trade quarterback Peyton Manning to the Texans, Allbright hadn’t heard from the Broncos. He now has.

“The speculation is false, and your report is inaccurate,” Broncos spokesman Patrick Smyth said on Twitter, in response to a tweet from Allbright regarding the report.

Contacted by PFT, the Texans weren’t aware of the report. They have yet to comment on it.

Regardless, Manning added a no-trade clause to his contract for 2015. Unless he was simply being paranoid, there was a reason to request that commitment.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-talked-to-him-about-a-peyton-manning-trade/

Tom Condon says no one talked to him about a Peyton Manning trade

The report raised plenty of eyebrows. If it’s true, it’s nevertheless being denied by the major players involved in it.

The Broncos have said, emphatically, that they did not try to trade quarterback Peyton Manning to the Texans.

The Texans separately told PFT that they have no comment on the report. (Which isn’t exactly a denial.)

Agent Tom Condon, who has represented Peyton Manning through multiple complex contract negotiations during his career, told PFT that talk of a possible Peyton trade to the Texans was news to his agent.

“Neither the Texans, the Broncos, or Peyton Manning ever talked to me about a trade anywhere,” Condon said via text.

That doesn’t mean the Broncos didn’t make a phone call to the Texans that went nowhere; it only means that the talks (if they happened) never got to the point where Condon became aware of them.

Again, the Broncos deny it all. Which is expected, under the circumstances. The hay is in the barn for the 2015 season, and nothing good comes from acknowledging that they at one point didn’t want their starting quarterback to be their starting quarterback.

Regardless, Manning will be their starting quarterback, for at least one more season. As of 2016, that no-trade clause goes away.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Interesting. They want Osweiler to start, I wonder what they wanted in return for Manning. Probably something boring like draft picks.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Interesting. They want Osweiler to start, I wonder what they wanted in return for Manning. Probably something boring like draft picks.
J.J. Watt for Manning seems pretty even.

I have a hard time believing that there any trade for Manning could happen but then again the Rams did trade Bradford and might have gotten away with robbery but that's to be determined.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I assume it is possible.

Yeah they have Manning so I guess they are always a "contender" but lets be honest the last two years were the real window. That team was built with the win now mentality (Reasonably so) but look at all they have lost and the major remaining pieces are getting older (maybe too old). Denver has to realize an ugly rebuild is coming (short of getting really lucky in drafting). I was stunned that they changed coaches as the window closes...the new coach is almost in a no win situation...the tools left aren't likely to be enough (and lets be honest that team isn't just happy with making the playoffs) and right now you are delaying the rebuild costing the new coach time to solidfy himself.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's official... ther start of dead time of the football year.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Hell If they called the Rams I would offer a 2nd rounder for him. would be well worth the one year rental to bring home a superbowl trophy

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
It must have been hard growing up with a little brother with down-syndrome. It makes me respect Payton that much more.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
As the man said ain't going to happen with that "No-Trade Clause" in his contract!

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
On a serious note, it's hard for me to take any of these assholes seriously; in fact, I don't. People just carelessly report whatever trying to be the first to break the news. Remember the Dez tape that never existed? Hey guys, I am now an NFL analyst. Just come to me when you need "facts."

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Uh..NO. I live in Denver and almost every talking head out here thinks Brock should be cut, not #1.
Funny how since Manning has been in Denver he's thrown more TD's than any other QB, been in the playoffs three times but you want to trade him?
He may be at the end of his road but there's only 4-5 QB's in the league I'd even consider taking over him.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could see the Texans asking during a routine call, and the Broncos seeing if they could totally gouge them for a year or so of Peyton. You should always listen to offers, even if it's unrealistic that you would accept any such offer. Occasionally somebody will stupidly offer way too much, after all.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nning-but-not-before-offering-10-million-cut/

Broncos wanted to keep Manning, but not before offering $10 million cut
Posted by Darin Gantt on June 24, 2015

With every snippet of information that comes out, we get another glimpse of how weird this offseason was for the Broncos and quarterback Peyton Manning.

According to longtime beat writer Mike Klis of 9 News in Denver, the Broncos “were never letting Peyton Manning go.”

They did, however, ask him to take a $10 million pay cut, a huge gap from the $4 million they eventually arm-twisted out of him.

Frankly, the fact Manning didn’t tell John Elway to stick his horseshoe somewhere is probably a sign that Manning valued inertia more than the Broncos did. While he may not be the quarterback he once was, he’s still Peyton Manning, and lopping off more than half his salary is something you don’t do unless you’re prepared for him to walk.

Obviously it was a starting point in a negotiation, but the fact they went so hard after his money is still amazing.