DRAFT Day two: Rds 2 and 3

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Here's my board after the first round. Of my Top 70 players for the Rams, 26 were selected. Here's who is left (original rank in parenthesis):

1. Jer’zahn Newton, DT, Illinois (17)
2. Cooper DeJean, CB, Iowa (19)
3. Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M (21)
4. Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama (23)
5. AD Mitchell, WR, Texas (26)
6. Kris Jenkins, DT, Michigan (27)
7. Braden Fiske, DT, Florida State (28)
9. Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia (31)
10. Ennis Rakestraw, Jr., CB, Missouri (32)
11. Marshawn Kneeland, EDGE, Western Michigan (34)
12. Malachi Corley, WR, Western Kentucky (35)
13. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan (36)
14. Tre Benson, RB, Florida State (37)
15. Junior Colson, LB, Michigan (38)
16. Austin Booker, EDGE, Kansas (39)
17. Ruke Orhohoro, DT, Clemson (40)
18. Blake Corum, RB, Michigan (41)
19. Jonah Ellis, EDGE, Utah (42)
20. Kris Abrams-Draine, CB, Missouri (43)
21. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame (44)
22. Michael Hall, Jr., DT, Ohio State (45)
23. Jonathan Brooks, RB, Texas (46)
24. Jaylan Wright, RB, Tennessee (47)
25. Keon Coleman, WR, FSU (48)
26. Chris Braswell, EDGE, Alabama (50)
27. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers (52)
28. Maason Smith, DT, LSU (53)
29. Payton Wilson, LB, NC State (54)
30. Adisa Isaac, EDGE, Penn State (56)
31. T.J. Tampa, CB, Iowa State (57)
32. Marshawn Lloyd, RB, USC (58)
33. Kinglsey Suamataia, OT, BYU (59)
34. D.J. James, CB, Auburn (60)
35. Gabriel Murphy, EDGE, UCLA (61)
36. Dylan Laube, RB, New Hampshire (62)
37. Javon Baker, WR, UCF (63)
38. Audric Estime, RB, Notre Dame (64)
39. Jalen McMillan, WR, Washington (65)
40. Javon Bullard, S, Georgia (66)
41. Brenden Rice, WR, USC (67)
42. Marist Liufau, LB, Notre Dame (68)
43. Jaylan Ford, LB, Texas (69)
44. Bralen Trice, EDGE, Washington (70)
My remaining players list is very much like this.

I'd do my best to try and get up the board to get Newton, hopefully using a '25 pick rather then one of our 3rds.

I'd be over the moon if we could get one of these tier 1 prospects left:
1. Newton
2. DeJean
3. McKinistry
4. AD Mitchell
5. McConkey
6. E.Cooper

Any of those 6 and we are cooking with fire.

Really like Braswell too, but, can't really validate double dipping on a position that we filled with needs still out there.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Too bad you couldn't trade Tutu & 52 to get into the 30's to draft him. Tutu just doesn't have that kind of value.
And he didn't when we drafted him. I'm still a bit shocked that another tiny WR went in the 1st.

WestCoastRam

Legend
All this talk about trading up for offense and they pick the best available edge rusher. I wonder if they really wanted to move up or if it was just a smokescreen? Question is, do they switch to offense today? Or continue improving the defense?
They did, they tried to get Bowers in the top 10.

RamsFan4Life

Starter
I'd gladly trade up for Newton. Can you imagine a pass-rush with Verse, Agent Zero, The Conductor, and Newton?!
surprised oh my GIF

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dane Brugler's Day Two Mock Draft for Rams

52. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
83. Cole Bishop, S, Utah
99. Spencer Rattler, QB, South Carolina
I just looked at his mock. Its a tough read because of all the really nice players that get picked before us. I'd be so so on Wilson here, I thought he was more of a 3rd rounder myself. Not sure McVay would like him more then Franklin with his great deep threat ability. Hall Jr. and Fiske also go after our pick, and I'd probably prefer them.

I really want to like Lassiter, but that 40 time is pretty damning. I saw a study of CB's that tested near that area and it was a list of complete NFL failures outside of 1 player.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
If he is there - I still like Edgerrin Cooper at MLB - and I think there is a chance he might last

And I know it’s controversial, but I want Sweat. Yes, he needs to be a pro - but I think we have a good locker room and I think he may feel like he has something to prove. Getting a 2 gap space eater would matter.

OT is getting thinner, but there are still some guys that interest me both for the round 2 spot or the round 3 spots

I don’t even mind going right back to edge. D line is a rotational position, after all.

I'm of the same mindset as you. I think adding Cooper and Sweat would be quite the improvement along with Verse.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Based on the trade value chart, to move up to like 40 would almost certainly cost us 99, but I bet the other team would ask for 83. For Newton, DeJean, or McKinstry it might be worth it though.

RamsFan4Life

Starter
Since Newton, Dejean, & McKinstry will probably be off the board within the first few selections:

TIER ONE
Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M
Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
Ruke Orhorhoro, DT, Clemson
Max Melton, CB, Rutgers
Tyler Nubin, S, Minnesota

TIER TWO
Ja'Lynn Polk, WR, Washington
T.J. Tampa, CB, Iowa State
Chris Braswell, EDGE, Alabama (yes double up)
Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
Kris Jenkins, DT, Michigan
Love to see Fiske or Cooper in horns

20hrswk

UDFA
I'm not against trading up for what seem to be "star" future players - Dejean, Newton or McConkey.

I would use 52 if we could get Wilson (LB), Bullard (S), Corley (WR) or Elliss (ED).

If they are not at 52, I would trade back (maybe more than once) because of the following numbers. Once you get past a certain point, the draft is a real crapshoot:

Trade back and get more picks.

From 52, trading back even 25 - 30 spots is ok if we add good picks to our chances of hitting on some players.

There are lots of good players through round 7 and even UDFA.
Get as many of them as we can.
You never know which ones are going to develop and contribute.

Look at all the 5th/6th/7th/UDFA round picks that "star" in the league.

QB - 4th, 6th, 9th of 38 PFF highest rated were picked in the 4th, 7th and 4th rounds (30% of top 10, 4th round or later)
WR - 1st, 4th, 8th of 128 PFF highest rated were picked in the 5th, 4th and 5th rounds (30% of top 10)
RB - 5th, 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th of 59 PFF highest rated were picked in the UDFA, 5th, 5th. 5th and 7th rounds (45% of top 11)
TE - 1st, 8th, 10th of 72 PFF highest rated were picked in the 5th, UDFA and 4th rounds (30%)
C - 3rd, 6th, 9th of 36 PFF highest rated were picked in the 4th, 6th and UDFA rounds (30%)
G - 2nd, 5th, 7th, 10th of 79 PFF highest rated were picked in the 4th, 4th, UDFA and 6th rounds (40%)
T - 3rd, 11th of 81 PFF highest rated were picked in the 7th and 7th rounds (18%)

CB - 2nd, 5th, 8th of 127 PFF highest rated were picked in the 5th, UDFA and 6th rounds (30%)
S - 7th, 11th, 12th of 95 PFF highest rated were picked in the 6th, 4th and 6th rounds (25% of top 12)
LB - 1st, 10th, 11th of 82 PFF highest rated were all UDFA (27% of top 11)
DI - 9th, 11th, 13th of 130 PFF highest rated were picked in the 4th, 5th and 5th rounds (23% of top 13)
ED - 4th, 7th, 14th, 16th of 112 PFF highest rated were picked in the 4th, 5th, 4th and 4th rounds (25% of top 16)

These numbers, while maybe boring, are quite amazing.
At most every position, 3 or 4 of the highest rated players were drafted in the 4th round or later !

Accumulate late round picks / increase your chances of hitting in the NFL lottery.
Look at the numbers for RBs and Gs. Always draft some of them late.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
A day one starter on Dline.
After that, I think is where you get a lot more flexibility.
The caveat is, of course, if someone who they rate significantly higher at a position where there's a legitimate need.. OT, WR, CB, S.. go ahead and get that guy.
Ideally, they do a trade back and somehow end up with another 3rd or, maybe a high 4th.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want Verse's teammate at Florida State, Fiske. I have heard/read that he has a high motor and never quits. I don't know if there is a synergy between the two or whether that would translate to the NFL, if so. We need to be bold if there is a guy that can help this year and in the next several years.
Imo either would be great. Fiske seems like a better pass rusher but Ruke is a much better run defender. Besides it's a hall of fame name! He makes a big stop on 4th down in a big game and sofi erupts into a big old RUUUUUUUUUKE cheer. Brings a tear to the eye and flash backs of one Isaac Bruce.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
What do you think about Hoecht at 5T? There's a reason they hung on to him.

Thats a very good point, actually. One I haven’t really seen mentioned. It does give the Rams some flexibility; however, I’d prefer to keep Hoecht in a rotational role