Roster Shortfalls and the Upcoming Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Les mentioned in his press conference at the combine that he didn't want to go into this draft with glaring needs in his roster. Now, I realize that's a standard approach, or at the very least a philosophy that is very common with GMs due to the desire to enable a BPA perspective when selecting players. But of course teams do indeed go into the draft with needs every year and this year's Rams might at the very least have some subpar positions by the time they're up.

When I look at this roster the primary issues revolve around the potential departure of FAs. That said there are position groups on this roster that are far weaker than others, so I wanted to attempt to draw some parallels with those groups vs quality of said groups in FA and the draft in order to reasonably project what's ahead. Yeah. I know. It's almost impossible to do that (Rams could go in so many ways and there are way too many variables) but I figure what the hell.

Going to do this based on what I perceive the roster quality to be, from worst on.

1. ILB. This is the lowest roster quality position on the team. We also have a new DC that has coached a lot of high quality ILBs in his time in the NFL, and he's from a coaching tree (Fangio) that tends to value those guys more than the previous tree did (Wade tended to coach up ILBs who have the elements he looks for). And of course it gets worse with Littleton preparing to hit FA and the way teams value passing game contributions means he's going to be overpaid.

Options to settle this position prior to the draft are re-signing Littleton, tagging him, or bringing in another FA. Problem is bringing Littleton back still leaves the Rams' ILB position looking quite weak in NFC West matchups where strong run threats abound. When I look at the film I feel like Littleton has too many weaknesses vs the run because he is contact shy and routinely sits back vice filling his run fits downhill. This is glaring vs a run game like that of SF, and IMO his position in this defense moving forward (if he's brought back) is WILB where he's still going to hurt us vs the run but will remain a plus element vs the pass.

Rams seemed to separate his importance in recent conversations at the combine, which I personally did not like. But aside from all that 3-4 ILBs have an advantage over 4-3 MLBs in that you have two of them splitting the field and thus can go bigger and more physical, and you honestly should in order to help offset one less lineman up front. At the least you should have a very strong run filler next to Corey, if the Rams bring him back. Is that on the roster? Meh.

Logic tells me the Rams are going to restack ILB to better serve our new DC. At the very least we are going to see a run stopping upgrade. I'm going to ignore my fear on this one and rest assured the Rams are smart enough to let Littleton walk. How will they restack the position if Littleton leaves in FA? I project they will add a run stuffer who is cheaper than Corey in FA and draft or UDFA one or two nickelbacker types to compete with Howard. Projected FA quality at the position supports this, as does the draft where they can go after big box safeties or WILL type backers for that dev WILB role.

2. OL. We've nuked the hell out of this position, I realize. And for good reason. There are some good pieces going forward in this roster group. Also at this point it seems like Whit is going to be brought back, so I am going to go with this assumption. Which, if things happen that way, means Center is the biggest single need that must be filled heading into the draft as Allen might not be ready for camp and competition is required.

Rams have a couple FA options to solve Center in the FA period. Blythe is one option, as he did play better for us in that final stretch after the move over. But personally I prefer they go away from Blythe, who tends to show his JAGness once he wins a job. The other option is outside Centers however most of them are similar to Blythe in that they're backups. Only Center I like is McGovern, who is a guy Denver has allowed to develop through some painful looks but is very much a starter now. Will he hit FA? Much as it pains me to admit, we might see Blythe come back like a bad case of herpes with the plan to draft a Center to compete with him in camp. It's goddamn ugly, however as I have always said you can disguise a subpar Center if the OGs are strong enough on either side of him.

3. 5T. This might be the starting position the Rams are most concerned with, but to my eye the depth chart puts it third because of Fox. He's not a good starter or anything, but he's a spot starter level player IMO.

FA does have good depth of options, to include a guy who has played in this exact scheme in Wolfe. I feel like the Rams will bring in a FA, not a big money option but someone who will fill the roster hole so they're not looking to move up/down specifically for 5T. The draft has some very nice options but will they go in with a hole from Brockers departure? Doubtful. Also last but not least this position is shared a bit with the 3T depth question, meaning for rotational purposes our 3T depth sucks and makes this a position that a FA addition affects more than just 5T.

4. Kicker. Man have I been going back and forth on this one. Kicker is not some easy position to fill, it's quite tough as these guys are prone to all manner of bizarre results when you draft them. Taking one you like high doesn't seem to increase odds. Taking one late is a roll of the dice. And you don't usually have great options in FA if you try to address it on the market. I've been of the mind that GZ returns. But after listening to McVay's press conference again I'm not so sure that is the case. Call it a gut feeling I suppose but I suspect the Rams are going to replace him.

One potential complication here too btw is the departure of Bones and Dallas needing a kicker. Not to mention the FA group is meh and GZ is probably the safest bet among them. But anyway if the Rams do elect to allow GZ to depart in FA the replacement will be through the draft even if it means entering the draft with a hole at the position on the roster.

5. Edge. At this point I have edge relatively low which I am sure some of you take exception to. And rightly so perhaps. But I think this group is solid in terms of its depth and possibilities, and I am not certain that Matthews will be cut because he'll still cost a couple million plus he looked pretty damn good prior to his injury last season. Fowler is definitely gone of course and I wish him the best with his big payday he's earned it.

FA is probably the best group I can recall in terms of rough number of edge rushers that are likely to hit the market as well as quality at the top. But the Rams simply cannot afford any of them. Couple that with an edge class that is quite good and which might produce a very nice rusher for our defense at 52 overall, and I suspect the Rams will stand pat in FA even after losing Fowler and pick up another edge rusher in the draft to mix into their rotation.

6. Safety. My take on this group is not popular, however I feel we need a rangy deep middle type who can ballhawk and make QBs pay in single high looks. Also this position mixes a bit with the Rams' thinking wrt the nickelbacker and maybe even the WILB role, where we have Christian departing in FA thus a hole for substitutions. Now I realize the Rams also seem to disagree with me on the deep middle need, in fact they seem to prioritize tackling and range in their safety selection with the eye to coaching them up on the other stuff. But the complication there is that Johnson is entering his final season and I don't know whether the Rams plan to retain him.

From the FS perspective this FA group is similar to the edge group in that they're one of the best I can recall. It is very likely we see multiple plus options on the market and it's also a position that the Rams might be able to afford depending on how they stack their roster, because it's the cheapest of the positions in FA. An additional level of complication is added when you consider maybe they elect to trade Johnson now while his stock is quite high and while he has a full year ahead before he hits FA, where the resultant pick can be used elsewhere while they snap up a more affordable replacement in this strong FA market. The draft looks like crap in terms of deep rangy types, meanwhile, so I don't see an answer at FS there.

From the SS perspective Christian's subtraction will require an addition. And as opposed to the FS group the SS group in FA isn't really going to help us out. So the Christian replacement will come from the draft most likely, which is to be expected since those guys are represented in big numbers in any draft to include this one.

Summary:
So to total it all up here's what I'm thinking in terms of relative likelihood based on the above considerations...

ILB - 70% addition of run stuffing ILB in FA (i.e. 30% chance the Rams like Kiser/Reeder enough and run stuffers are affordable).
- 50/50 Littleton is allowed to leave (can't ignore recent rumors :mad: ). If he leaves 100% WILB is addressed in the draft and UDFA.

OL - 95% Whit signed before FA. 70% Rams add a Center in FA (might be a JAG like Blythe or upgrade like McGovern), if not will draft.

5T - 80% replacement for Brock in FA. 100% Rams look for DL in the draft even if 5T is filled in FA due to rotation quality and 3T.

Kicker - 100% the Rams enter the draft needing kicker if they let GZ leave in FA. I'd say 50/50 they let GZ go.

Edge - 100% the Rams enter the draft needing an edge if/when Fowler leaves (which is also very high percentage at least 95%).

FS - 10% the Rams agree with me that FS is a need (chances are they stand pat). If they do I think FA is 100% how they approach it and JJ is traded.

SS - 100% the Rams look to the draft to replace Christian.

So I expect action in FA at the ILB, 5T, and OL positions. By action I mean the Rams pursue not necessarily sign the FA.

And I expect draft priorities (i.e. ideally not huge needs but positions they are focused on) to be Edge, DL, and OL, and in particular a focus on physicality in said positions.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One position I considered adding above but elected not to is RB. My reasoning is that it's a position the Rams could go forward with as-is if they needed to, just like WR. Of course McVay might well be all over both positions, but IMO that is a BPA type deal where I think he runs to the podium to take a plus value on the board at either position.

Just didn't want to get too in the grass as the post above was brutal enough in length. :LOL:

dang

Legend
I want a good to very good OC to help solidify the run game. That would need to come they FA (McGovern, SF center??, not Blythe). Also i’d prefer they spend the $14m that it will require to sign Littleton on multiple other players.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Another thought. What if we made all the right salary savings and signed FAs to fill those holes? Even from the bargain discounts with guys stinking of potential. We're talking Kwiatkowski and maybe the 4th to 5th best NT and DE in FA. Big Whit would get 1 year and $9 mil to play six games maybe more depending on Boom's ability to stay healthy.

This would allow the Rams to draft purely on BPA without caring as much about positional need. Any thoughts on this concept?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another thought. What if we made all the right salary savings and signed FAs to fill those holes? Even from the bargain discounts with guys stinking of potential. We're talking Kwiatkowski and maybe the 4th to 5th best NT and DE in FA. Big Whit would get 1 year and $9 mil to play six games maybe more depending on Boom's ability to stay healthy.

This would allow the Rams to draft purely on BPA without caring as much about positional need. Any thoughts on this concept?
I wouldn't go after NT and don't see it as a need personally. It's a position where we can go forward if we need to, but if one drops to us in the draft go get him.

Kwiatkoski would be an ideal signing for us. He knows this defense they will be installing and our DC. He's aggressive in run fits but not terrible vs the pass. Physical. Would be a great fit.

Sure would be nice if Whit agrees to a manageable number. Got my fingers crossed we don't have to pay him too much.

Definitely think we'll see a couple bargain basement FA additions, the "bust with a slight chance of boom" types.

Kevin

Pro Bowler

Teams set their big board and draft based on need.

Ram65

Legend
Nice writeup on a difficult mostly bind analysis. I agree with it. The cost of free agents and cap space available will be a big factor in the final decisions.

Rams could have 30 to 35 Million (guess) in cap space available. I'm thinking some goes to Whitworth 9-11 Million as well. Not sure what they are thinking about Blythe but, he could get 4-5 Million a year as a free agent maybe 3.5 Million first year cap hit. McGovern could be more costly maybe 6-7 Million in the first year of cap space. He is only 26 though. Kwiatkoski only had seven starts so he could be very reasonable. I do think the Rams have options on the roster for the other ISLBer spot. Thanks, Boni for the list. Adding a veteran later could work or stick with the ones already on the roster. I've been leaning to a OC draft pick that can play OG as well.

Kenny Young 25-3rd yr. 6-1/234 > 30 NFL gms. 6 starts.
Micah Kiser 25-3rd yr, 5-11/245 > 16 NFL gms. 0 starts.
Troy Reader 25-2nd yr, 6-3/245 > 16 NFL gms. 6 starts.
Travin Howard
23-3rd yr, 6-1/220 >16 NFL gms. 0 starts.
Natrez Patrick 22-2nd yr. 6-3/242> 12 NFL gms. 0 starts

The list goes on with 5T and kicker. I think JZ will have to get paid.

================================================================================
A Center Worthy of Praise
Perhaps the decision of the offseason will be that of C Connor McGovern. After entering training camp with many concerned about McGovern’s ability to snap the ball, he played well at center for the 2019 season earning a 71.9 PFF grade and playing extremely well down after the bye week. McGovern is only 26 years old, has been a durable player for the team, and has shown he can not only play center at a solid level but guard as well.

There is a false narrative that McGovern has shown to be better at either center or guard, but he plays both at a solid level and any difference in his play level between the two is negligible at best. McGovern is a player the Broncos would likely love to retain, but he could easily be making close to $10 million per year given the center market and his previously listed attributes. It remains to be seen whether Denver thinks he will be worth that and what his market will shake out to be this offseason.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like the Titans defense. The !main reason is that they have two very good MLBs. It reminds me of the Niners D with Willie and Bowman.

I'd love to see a Rams defense with two studs punishing the running backs.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I am not sold on our defensive line, Donald aside. Fox is very much unproven and has had injury issues. Brockers is almost certainly gone. SJD is a good depth/two-down player, and as much as I like Gaines, I think he's similar.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a top pick on a D-lineman who falls and another later pick for developmental purposes.

The offensive line is a known weakness, especially at center. I could easily justify a third/fourth for a center, especially if Biadasz falls.

I think that the running back room also needs a shakeup. Brown is way too injury-prone, and I could see us cutting or trading him. Henderson is unproven. I know a certain 6'3" TCU running back who could solve the issues in the sixth/seventh round. Just saying...

Linebacker is an issue best solved in free agency. Inside and outside could use help - and no, I'm not talking about Littleton or Fowler.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How many years have we needed a run stuffer ILB ? Even the last few years JL played , we needed one . When will they find one ?

fearsomefour

Legend
I am not sold on our defensive line, Donald aside. Fox is very much unproven and has had injury issues. Brockers is almost certainly gone. SJD is a good depth/two-down player, and as much as I like Gaines, I think he's similar.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a top pick on a D-lineman who falls and another later pick for developmental purposes.

The offensive line is a known weakness, especially at center. I could easily justify a third/fourth for a center, especially if Biadasz falls.

I think that the running back room also needs a shakeup. Brown is way too injury-prone, and I could see us cutting or trading him. Henderson is unproven. I know a certain 6'3" TCU running back who could solve the issues in the sixth/seventh round. Just saying...

Linebacker is an issue best solved in free agency. Inside and outside could use help - and no, I'm not talking about Littleton or Fowler.
The first pick is dog eared for a play making DL or an OL to me.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
How many years have we needed a run stuffer ILB ? Even the last few years JL played , we needed one . When will they find one ?

Cory L is the best ILB we have had since London’s Fletcher. It takes all 7 playing as a unit to stuff the run at the line. We should try and keep him IMO and then add one in the draft to compete. I still believe in M Kiser

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The first pick is dog eared for a play making DL or an OL to me.
If I'm Snead I am ready to take the best player who slides at 52. If that player is a position I don't feel we need, then I suppose a move down to find value is likely, but chances are I would simply take that best player.

IMO the lack of first round picks makes it important to at least try to get impact players with those round 2 picks. So hopefully this year we'll simply take whoever is best on the board.

It's definitely easy to see the value in moving down though, particularly given the quality of the players through round 2 and well into round 3 and 4. But I would like to see another high end player added. And I know they come outside the early picks too, but still you're dealing with lesser percentages there.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For me, the draft is about future depth that can develop into starters.

We did that the last two years with the ILB, OLB, OL and DL - we have enough players under contract already for these groups, the only question is of upgrading.

Because you can't expect rookies to contribute, I put S and WR at the top of the list. JJ will almost certainly be gone, plus we need a 3rd safety anyways. At WR, at least one of our top four will be gone after next season, and WRs can take a few years to develop - plus Cooks is a question mark and not a lock that we extend Kupp right now.

After that we will need a TE to take over for Everett who probably will not be re-signed, and a RB for when Gurley is cut either next year or the year after.

That brings us back to our weaknesses:

ILB, EDGE, OL and DL - all need addressed by either re-signs or FA. We simply cannot afford to rely on rookies for these position groups - or rather, we could, possibly rely on ONE. If we nabbed a talented DE to take over for Brockers in the 2nd or 3rd round, I'd be fine with that. Same for an offensive lineman if it's a clear upgrade.

It's too hard to predict who will be hitting FA right now, but I would re-sign GZ and all our lower tiered FAs, then try to get starters for DE, EDGE, and ILB in free agency. Also add a depth piece for the OL.