Rookie TE Brycen Hopkins always working to get better on the field

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

It was the refrain caroming around Brycen Hopkins NFL Draft preparations.

And by the time he became a Day Three selection of the Los Angeles Rams, Hopkins had heard enough about his unreliable hands.

"Man! I don't want to come up with excuses," the former Purdue tight end told us when we asked how sick he was of being asked about the drops.

"They don't like to give me any credibility for the catches, for any of the good catches I had. It's all about drops. It's something I'm working on. It's all concentration. It's not like I don't have hands. I've shown everybody that I can catch. It's just something I will be working on; I will get better at."

Ted Monago ran point on evaluating the Big Ten Tight End of the Year and offered this statistical context.

"It's kind of like missed tackles with defensive players," the Rams assistant director of college scouting said. "His drops went from 4 to 7, but his targets went from 54 in 2018 to 91 in 2019… and his receptions went up (from 34 to 61)."

"We tend to nitpick those things as scouts," Monago added.

According to Rams general manager Les Snead, when you're the top-targeted player on your team, it's a healthy sign the offensive coordinator – and more importantly, the quarterback – trust you. Perhaps that's why 40 of his receptions went for first-downs.

"Sometimes you let the quarterback tell you," the Rams general manager said of the reputation Hopkins had carved out in West Lafayette.

Hopkins spent five campaigns at Purdue and is 23-years old, but relatively young in football seasons, having started his competitive career as a junior in high school. His father, Brad, was an All-Pro left tackle and lined up for the Titans against the Rams in Super Bowl XXXIV.

Going into the 2020 Draft, he was position coach Wes Phillips' "number one player" and the most fun tight end to watch according to Pro Football Focus.

Nonetheless, Snead described adding to the tight end room as a luxury, and as a result, the Rams felt comfortable trading down in the fourth round, acquiring two additional seventh-round picks from Houston in the process. That would later enable them to select kicker Sam Sloman and their only offensive lineman of the 2020 Draft, Tremayne Anchrum.

Fortunately, their preferred tight end was still on the board 10 picks later when Los Angeles was back on the clock. And they're hoping the move from 126 to 136 overall is remembered as the most significant "drop" of Hopkins' career as a Ram.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
One thing I didn't like what he said...."Wasn't sure my name was going to be called on the first or even the 2nd day, but it's great hearing your name." Most felt he was rated high as a TE on most boards, so surely he knew he was going to be drafted. Maybe he was just trying to be humble or a poor choice of words, but anyway I hope the Rams are right about him because they could have had an ILB or an Offensive Lineman, which most us felt was more of a need.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
One thing I didn't like what he said...."Wasn't sure my name was going to be called on the first or even the 2nd day, but it's great hearing your name." Most felt he was rated high as a TE on most boards, so surely he knew he was going to be drafted. Maybe he was just trying to be humble or a poor choice of words, but anyway I hope the Rams are right about him because they could have had an ILB or an Offensive Lineman, which most us felt was more of a need.

I think it was his attempt at being humble.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I‘m sure most have an idea of where they‘ll be drafted but you just never know. There were people we mocked around here as day 2 picks and they went undrafted and some go much higher.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't expect much from him this season. Everett should be poised to be a big part of the offense with Higs, so barring an injury or the Rams trading Everett (which wouldn't make sense at this point) he probably won't see the field too often.

I'm hoping he gets right to work on his blocking. In spite of his receiving game (which is quite good on his college film) being limited on the run blocking side can and will keep these guys off the field. And his receiving game isn't so good that he'll bump guys like Woody or Kupp, so he's gonna have to take his snaps when Higs or Everett need a blow and even then you have Mundt who has developed into a very solid depth TE too.

So 2021 impact guy basically IMO.

Ram65

Legend
Rams are going to have to keep him on the roster with Higbee, Everett and Mundt. He has good size and speed to play special teams so he better work on that too. He makes tough catches so like he says he needs to concentrate better on every chance. He goes over the middle and has a quick transition to move upfield after the catch. He was the Boiler Makers go-to guy on third down. Rams have a steal with Hopkins who can replace Everett if Rams don't want to resign him.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Interesting comments from rams about the drafting of this guy. I like that they went with BPA on their list rather than simply need. Specially even mentioned TE wasn’t on the draft needs list.
They traded back, seemingly because nobody else was as high on that list, probably because TE wasn’t needed. But then when that pick ultimately came back around, he was still there and had to pull the trigger.
Tells you how much they like him. Also they do not feel OL/LB is a desperate need - contrary to many posters here (me on occasion too) and the media. Sure hope the Rams are the ones who end up right here.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm less concerned about the drops and much more concerned about his blocking...but he at least acknowledges that he has to get better, and being humble helps.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

It was the refrain caroming around Brycen Hopkins NFL Draft preparations.

And by the time he became a Day Three selection of the Los Angeles Rams, Hopkins had heard enough about his unreliable hands.

"Man! I don't want to come up with excuses," the former Purdue tight end told us when we asked how sick he was of being asked about the drops.

"They don't like to give me any credibility for the catches, for any of the good catches I had. It's all about drops. It's something I'm working on. It's all concentration. It's not like I don't have hands. I've shown everybody that I can catch. It's just something I will be working on; I will get better at."

Ted Monago ran point on evaluating the Big Ten Tight End of the Year and offered this statistical context.

"It's kind of like missed tackles with defensive players," the Rams assistant director of college scouting said. "His drops went from 4 to 7, but his targets went from 54 in 2018 to 91 in 2019… and his receptions went up (from 34 to 61)."

"We tend to nitpick those things as scouts," Monago added.

According to Rams general manager Les Snead, when you're the top-targeted player on your team, it's a healthy sign the offensive coordinator – and more importantly, the quarterback – trust you. Perhaps that's why 40 of his receptions went for first-downs.

"Sometimes you let the quarterback tell you," the Rams general manager said of the reputation Hopkins had carved out in West Lafayette.

Hopkins spent five campaigns at Purdue and is 23-years old, but relatively young in football seasons, having started his competitive career as a junior in high school. His father, Brad, was an All-Pro left tackle and lined up for the Titans against the Rams in Super Bowl XXXIV.

Going into the 2020 Draft, he was position coach Wes Phillips' "number one player" and the most fun tight end to watch according to Pro Football Focus.

Nonetheless, Snead described adding to the tight end room as a luxury, and as a result, the Rams felt comfortable trading down in the fourth round, acquiring two additional seventh-round picks from Houston in the process. That would later enable them to select kicker Sam Sloman and their only offensive lineman of the 2020 Draft, Tremayne Anchrum.

Fortunately, their preferred tight end was still on the board 10 picks later when Los Angeles was back on the clock. And they're hoping the move from 126 to 136 overall is remembered as the most significant "drop" of Hopkins' career as a Ram.

Not worried about Hopkins' hands, he'll be a very capable receiver. Hope he's working on his blocking if he wants to get on the field for McVay.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not worried about Hopkins' hands, he'll be a very capable receiver. Hope he's working on his blocking if he wants to get on the field for McVay.
I'm a little worried. But he should get a redshirt year and hopefully a ton of time on the juggs machine. Not to mention McVay won't put up with focus drops in practice so that might help him out too.

There's no sugar coating the drops though. And what I don't like was the way he sort of glossed over the problem when asked post-draft about it. He's in for a realization on that with McVay IMO.

View: https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1229065398084988935

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I'm a little worried. But he should get a redshirt year and hopefully a ton of time on the juggs machine. Not to mention McVay won't put up with focus drops in practice so that might help him out too.

There's no sugar coating the drops though. And what I don't like was the way he sort of glossed over the problem when asked post-draft about it. He's in for a realization on that with McVay IMO.

I took Hopkins' reaction to the drops as more of an expression of confidence that he can do better. Imo he's actually got good hands. But as you say McVay will no doubt immediately double down on drilling unwavering concentration into him. Maybe he can take a few lessons from Kupp, Woods and Jefferson too.

More concerned about blocking. McVay won't keep him in the game if it's a flag to the D that he is solely a receiver. I have speculated that subpar blocking has held back others under McVay (Everett, Henderson?). We also know how much McVay prizes receivers who can block downfield as well as on the line.

Hopkins is a really promising receiver but he's got to be able to block to stay in the game. Hoping he steps up. What a combo Higbee and Hopkins would make!!

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

His drop rate was less than 8% of his total targets in both years they have numbers for. What's the average drop rate? I honestly have no idea.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I think it was his attempt at being humble.
And the fact that this year's crop was said to be weak at the TE position and strong in so many others. I wasn't really expecting too many TE's to get drafted in either of the first 2 days