Rookie Greg Gaines aims to be Rams’ starting defensive tackle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/story/2019-07-31/rams-greg-gaines

Rookie Greg Gaines aims to be Rams’ starting defensive tackle

Eric Henderson’s face lighted up as the tackling sled the Rams’ defensive line coach was standing on jolted backward.

The padded metal barricade was no match for rookie nose tackle Greg Gaines, giving way to 312 pounds of strength.

“I see you, Greg,” Henderson shouted, a devious grin crossing his face just minutes into the first practice of training camp Friday.

“Let’s go, newbie,” a nearby fan echoed, leaning over the railing in excitement, equally inspired by the flash of freakish force.

Gaines, a fourth-round pick from the University of Washington, is still adjusting to his new domain. His eyes were wide as he walked through a human tunnel and onto the field for the first time earlier that afternoon. Following a pair of veterans, he high-fived a line of fans and humbly gazed at thousands more ringing the pair of practice fields at UC Irvine.

“In college, it felt like all of our practices were super secret,” Gaines said. “Nobody was allowed.”

That’s not the case anymore. Instead, eyeballs have followed Gaines’ every move. His position, an all-important role between defensive tackle Aaron Donald, the defending two-time NFL defensive player of the year, and defensive end Michael Brockers, a seven-year veteran, is up for grabs. The run-stopping, road-blocking rookie is in contention to win the job.

Henderson said it’s still too early to be thinking about naming a starter. In scrimmage portions of camp, Gaines has been kept largely to second-team duty behind second-year pro Sebastian Joseph-Day. Tanzel Smart is also in the mix. Brockers has shifted into the nose tackle spot at times too.

Nonetheless, “it’s an incredible opportunity,” Gaines said. “Most guys, especially guys getting drafted in the fourth round, don’t have a chance to play at all, really.”

Ndamukong Suh filled the spot last year under a one-year contract and was not re-signed . His presence multiplied the star power in the defensive front but often added up to something less than a stout run defense. The Rams ranked 23rd in rushing yards allowed during the regular season, then let the New England Patriots average nearly five yards per carry in the Super Bowl. Although Suh collected 4½ sacks and 59 tackles, he sometimes seemed to cede his responsibilities up the middle.

In Gaines, the Rams see the potential for a new equation, hopeful his Mack Truck-like body can minimize opponentsrushing attacks.

“A big guy, playing great run [technique], pushing the pocket great. He’s definitely showing up,” Donald said. “He’s getting better and grinding. Hopefully, he can get better and better.”

Gaines isn’t a perfect prospect. He doesn’t burst into the backfield. Leading up to the draft, some scouts questioned whether he had enough raw athleticism. In the Rams’ three-man front, he’ll be “shaded” between offensive lineman pre-snap more often than in college, where his focus was on blowing up blockers rather than blowing by them.

Though he collected only 10½ sacks during his four-year career at Washington, Gaines was productive in other ways. His powerful gap-plugging at the point of attack helped the Huskies rank in the top 15nationally in rushing defense in 2017 and 2018.

“He was a huge piece to our success” in college, said safety Taylor Rapp, the Rams’ other rookie draft pick from Washington, selected in the second round.

“His talent and his work ethic, the way he works and the way he comes in, he’s already a true pro as a rookie.”

Gaines says he has been focused on lateral movement and penetration. During a drill in practice last Friday, he tumbled coming out of a hairpin turn. Henderson wants to see Gaines find more consistency with his technique too.

But four practices into camp, Gaines has continued building a good impression.

“Pleasing to see he’s picked up where he left off in OTAs,” Henderson said. “The good thing is, he’s so intelligent, you know when you put him out there he’ll get lined up and know where to go.”

Gaines guessed he might be headed to Los Angeles long before draft night. At the NFL scouting combine, he said the Rams hinted he’d be a fit, especially with Suh on his way out; the free agent eventually signed with Tampa Bay.

For the La Habra native, the perfect match worked both ways. Gaines has family throughout the Southland, from Newport Beach to Long Beach to Torrance.

An uncle has long been a fervent Rams fan — “He was super fired up” after the draft, Gaines said — following them during the team’s original stint in L.A. and sticking with them during their 22 years in St. Louis. Family members have packed a field-side tent in Irvine, loudly screaming Gaines’ name when he takes the field.

By the time the regular season starts, Gaines is hoping to give them more chances to cheer.

“It’s really cool,” Gaines said. “Just to have that opportunity and be able to compete and have something to be out here really working for.”

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Gaines might be in the mix, but so far in TC, he's #2. Jo-Day has been playing with the ones. Day is clearly bigger, faster and has shown great tenacity and drive. I've watched the DL group during their hitting the sled drills, coming out on snap drills zigging and zagging around the dummies and Jo-Day is right there with AD and Brockers as far as delivering the biggest "pop". It's also worth noting that when they are standing around, Brockers and AD are constantly talking to Jo-Day, more so than Gaines.

It remains to be seen how it all translates to the field against other competition. We'll get that today in Costa Mesa when the Rams scrimmage the Chargers. I'll be there.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With SJD having a full complete season under his belt plus all the HD weight room action he had the benefit of he is sure to be heads above a rookie coming into the NFL. I have very little concern these days about the NT post. With Suh & Westbrooks now departed ..... GG & SJD will get plenty of snaps on 1st & 2nd downs. GG will most likely offer a bit more in passing situations though.

SJD is the Rams largest DL'er who from all accounts is ripped for even a NFL NT. I need to remember that Wade in the past has used four DL'ers up front a lot. Usually in passing downs where he will insert two OLB'ers on the wings & go with two DL'ers. Those DL'ers are usually one with serious pass rush skills. I just don't see either SJD or GG being used in this special DL. More likely Fox/ Brockers/ Donald/ JFM will be the material utilized.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Gaines vs Joseph-Day?

Who knows? Or cares, really?

Both are likely to get many quality snaps this season. Hell, Wade may not make an actual decision as to “starter” until mid-season.

VERY nice “problem” to have.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let the best players, play. Nofavorites!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I'm really happy to see that all the hoopla on SJD isn't offseason/workout nonsense. Getting the reports that he's hanging in there cements that maybe we have something in him.

Re: Gaines... NT types tend to have quick impact in the NFL. So I fully expect us to be two deep at the position which is outstanding if that happens. Being able to sub guys out and keep them fresh is a very underrated part of fielding a top run defense.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Gaines might be in the mix, but so far in TC, he's #2. Jo-Day has been playing with the ones. Day is clearly bigger, faster and has shown great tenacity and drive. I've watched the DL group during their hitting the sled drills, coming out on snap drills zigging and zagging around the dummies and Jo-Day is right there with AD and Brockers as far as delivering the biggest "pop". It's also worth noting that when they are standing around, Brockers and AD are constantly talking to Jo-Day, more so than Gaines.

It remains to be seen how it all translates to the field against other competition. We'll get that today in Costa Mesa when the Rams scrimmage the Chargers. I'll be there.
That just shows how deep we are, baby! :cool:

Of course as we know that how the NFL works.
The second-year players are always going to get the first shot to start over a rookie if the difference in their draft position is not extreme.

Plus of course we know that Brockers and Donald have over a one-year relationship with Day and they just met Gaines a few months ago.

Plus Joseph Day is not a wide-eyed rookie in his first NFL camp.

I think by midseason we will have 2 starting level nose tackles on our roster.:yess:

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Gaines vs Joseph-Day?

Who knows? Or cares, really?

Both are likely to get many quality snaps this season. Hell, Wade may not make an actual decision as to “starter” until mid-season.

VERY nice “problem” to have.

Who cares? Ha I do.

And yes I agree those two are a good conundrum for us

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I watched Gaines and Jo_Day closely today. Both have skills to bring. Gaines takes on blockers and stuffs the middle, Day has more side to side skill is quicker and a much better penetrater. Day is as big or bigger than Brockers.

Something new I saw today. Several times the D went with only Brockers and Donald as DT, then 5 LB's, Fowler, Mathews, Littleton, Kiser, and Eubekam, with variations of Lawler, Fox, Howard and Young. Both on running plays and passing situations.

Rams stating backfield is sick. Talib, Peters, Rob-Coleman, Weddle and Johnson, with Hill, Long,Christian and Rapp.

I can't wait for pre-season games so I can watch backup vie for roster spot.

In today's scrimmage the coaching staff made sure they got a good look at everyone. Except Okowronkwo, Guy needs to mend and stay healthy or he's gonna get cut.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I honestly thought Gaines would be the starter somewhere between the 4th to 8th game but know I'm thinking he will only sub for Day. That's not a bad thing, just think it's going to be really hard for him to beat Day out. I thought Day played very well against a great Oline. He may be fully healthy from that hamstring injury he had in preseason.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SJD is playing well, Gaines looks ready and capable too, this is a great thing for the team.

And oh btw... How about our new DL coach eh? Two games in and he's got Brock looking like the DL of two years ago and a line that dominated in week two. Early returns on the coaching change seem to be bearing fruit.

Ram65

Legend
I honestly thought Gaines would be the starter somewhere between the 4th to 8th game but know I'm thinking he will only sub for Day. That's not a bad thing, just think it's going to be really hard for him to beat Day out. I thought Day played very well against a great Oline. He may be fully healthy from that hamstring injury he had in preseason.
SJD is playing well, Gaines looks ready and capable too, this is a great thing for the team.

And oh btw... How about our new DL coach eh? Two games in and he's got Brock looking like the DL of two years ago and a line that dominated in week two. Early returns on the coaching change seem to be bearing fruit.

I was on the SJD bandwagon and might have even started it but, I think SJD is getting pushed back or to one side on many plays. I'm not seeing much forward push and control of his defender. It's early and he is still learning. I thought he would be a little more stout at the point of attack.

It's possible Gaines starts to get some playing time.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Good call !! Was nice to see. That flag on SJD face mask was questionable. The RB grabbed his as well, or was that Teddy ?? Whoever it was was grabbing his Mask as well. Thought more of a self defense act.

oldnotdead

Legend
With AD dinged they might want someone other than Smart at 3T. Gaines gets penetration and that is what is needed at 3T. This would allow them to be selective when AD plays until he's better. From what I could see Smart didn't do anything at all. I think it would be a good thing to not have AD in there on every down. McVay is big on trying to keep his key players fresh during the season, that needs to apply to the best player on the team as well.

Or play Brockers at 3T and Ogbo and Eubkam at DE.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was on the SJD bandwagon and might have even started it but, I think SJD is getting pushed back or to one side on many plays. I'm not seeing much forward push and control of his defender. It's early and he is still learning. I thought he would be a little more stout at the point of attack.

It's possible Gaines starts to get some playing time.

Agreed. I don't think SJD is doing all that great. Gaines will surpass him as the starter by midseason. I'd start him now.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
With AD dinged they might want someone other than Smart at 3T. Gaines gets penetration and that is what is needed at 3T. This would allow them to be selective when AD plays until he's better. From what I could see Smart didn't do anything at all. I think it would be a good thing to not have AD in there on every down. McVay is big on trying to keep his key players fresh during the season, that needs to apply to the best player on the team as well.

Or play Brockers at 3T and Ogbo and Eubkam at DE.

Isn't Fox in the rotation?

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO SJD is a JAG and he's playing like I said he would. He doesn't really command a double team and he doesn't even control his A gap. Too many times he simply is pushed out of the way. He can't even beat most centers one on one. They pulled him often and played Brockers at NT occasionally.

Smart is another JAG who does nothing on his own. I would rather see Gaines in rotation with AD if you aren't going to play Greg at NT. At least you would have a guy who gets penetration and not simply a body on the field.