RIP Willie Mays

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Man, this fucking hurts. Mays was an absolute legend, on and off the field.

Rest in peace.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
They talk about "the catch". They talk about the speed. The defense. The power. The hitting. All of it true. And then they mention he was an even greater person, playing stickball with neighborhood kids in NYC, among other things. Well I remember an incident on the field that indicated "the person". I forget the year but when Willie's teammate Juan Marichal tried to bust Johnny Roseboro's skull open with his bat (succeeding) and a brawl broke out, who was the guy who led Roseboro off the filed to safety (and treatment) in the midst of that brawl? Willie Mays. That says all that needs to be said about the person. And among the multitude of tributes to the man since he passed last night, nobody mentioned that act of kindness. Mantle was always this Yankee fan's favorite Yankee but Willie was always my favorite ballplayer.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He lived a long and deserved life. A real superstar that earned every accolade. There are very few men that could ever wear his shoes. RIP Mr. Mays. The entire world will miss what you brought to it.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
There are only a small handful of athletes that become household names.
A name everyone has heard.
The “Say Hey Kid” is one of the greatest of the greats.

RamsFan4Life

Starter
I was blessed with many instances to see a true 5 tool player like Mays play in person…..grew up in So Cal and grandma’s boss had season tickets he gave us all the time.

Saw 2 of the greatest 5 tool players live back then. Mays, and my favorite player ever and hero of mine…..Roberto Clemente