RIP, Valerie Harper

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Valerie Harper just passed away. I loved her character Rhoda on the Mary Tyler Moore Show, and of course on her own series, Rhoda. Mary Tyler Moore died in 2017, and the oldest female cast member is still alive. Cloris Leachman was born in 1926 and is still kicking and dancing (competed in Dancing with the Stars in 2008). It was a simpler time...Those born during the internet age would call it boring. But in the 1970's:
1. You had answering machines and no voice mail. You called someone back when you wanted, because you knew that they had no proof that you heard the message
2. Landlines and no cell phones. Again, no way for your boss to get ahold of you until you wanted to contact him.
3. Handwritten letters via snail mail. What is Email in 1975?
4. Pay phones were everywhere and were not cheap to call long distance...Good and bad about that. You were not required to have a landline.
Now, it's like everyone expects/requires you to have a cell phone contact number.

Being disconnected when you wanted to be, was awesome.. Back to Valerie Harper, thanks for being such a loveable character on and off the screen.

Last edited:

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Valerie Harper just passed away. I loved her character Rhoda on the Mary Tyler Moore Show, and of course on her own series, Rhoda. Mary Tyler Moore died in 2017, and the oldest female cast member is still alive. Cloris Leachman was born in 1926 and is still kicking and dancing (competed in Dancing with the Stars in 2008). It was a simpler time...Those born during the internet age would call it boring. But in the 1970's:
1. You had answering machines and no voice mail. You called someone back when you wanted, because you knew that they had no proof that you heard the message
2. Landlines and no cell phones. Again, no way for your boss to get ahold of you until you wanted to contact him.
4. Pay phones were everywhere and were not cheap to call long distance...Good and bad about that. You were not required to have a landline.
Now, it's like everyone expects/requires you to have a cell phone contact number.

Being disconnected when you wanted to be, was awesome.. Back to Valerie Harper, thanks for being such a loveable character on and off the screen.

I knew she had been ill for some time now

but I didn't know she was 80

everytime we lose one of these actors , they take a little piece of my childhood with them

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAuf5g5yC3s

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut

There were still party lines in the '70s. Oh and I'm not talking blow.
I can still hear Rhoda's "Myeeaireeeee". RIP

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didnt realize she was 80 either. A lot of the time the 70s get a bad rap. I think mostly from people who were not there. I had a hell of a good time. And each time one of these stars leave us like some others here a little bit of me fades away too.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
I didnt realize she was 80 either. A lot of the time the 70s get a bad rap. I think mostly from people who were not there. I had a hell of a good time. And each time one of these stars leave us like some others here a little bit of me fades away too.
Bittersweet memories for me. It was a time of economic contraction and I was well aware of it at the time. There were stylistic and cultural changes, some fleeting others of great and lasting impact. The draft and the Vietnam War ended. Thats about all the good I can remember other than friends and family and comaraderie within community that different technologies have steadily eroded if not ended.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bittersweet memories for me. It was a time of economic contraction and I was well aware of it at the time. There were stylistic and cultural changes, some fleeting others of great and lasting impact. The draft and the Vietnam War ended. Thats about all the good I can remember other than friends and family and comaraderie within community that different technologies have steadily eroded if not ended.
8-Track Tapes will last forever ~ 1972 Version of coconut

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
My wife and I have been watching the MTM show lately on Netflix and she just pulled up Valerie Harper the other night, knowing she's battled cancer for so long. Outlived her prognosis.

VH and I share the same birthday. She was good in that role. RIP