RG3; think more, run less

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9308109/nfl-use-your-brain-rg-iii" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/93081 ... ain-rg-iii</a>

There are two obvious problems with the recent comments made by the father of Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III. The first issue has to do with the source -- it's never a good look for parents to talk about how teams should be handling their children in the NFL.

The other concern is that RG III's dad is way off base when it comes to criticizing the Redskins' offense and the dangers that system creates for his kid. If anything, the elder Griffin should be advising his son on how best to stay healthy in the world of pro football.

For those who missed the news, Robert Griffin Jr. told The Washington Post that RG III "doesn't have to be a runner as much as I saw last year." The father added that the Redskins are "paying these [receivers] a lot of money to catch the football. I'm his dad -- I want him throwing the football a lot. A lot."

You could envision Redskins coach Mike Shanahan cringing as soon as those statements reached his desk. The last thing he needed was one more person suggesting that he has been reckless with his star quarterback's health.

It's a story that has lingered ever since RG III reinjured his right knee in a playoff loss to Seattle and it might not vanish until we actually see a major attitude shift in the second-year quarterback. As much as people can take issue with the team's offense -- a system that included its fair share of read-options and triple-options last fall -- Griffin tore his anterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments because he did a poor job of protecting himself. Young quarterbacks such as San Francisco's Colin Kaepernick, Carolina's Cam Newton and Seattle's Russell Wilson use their legs to create big plays all the time. Griffin should study what they do to avoid the devastating hits.

When Griffin first injured his right knee against Baltimore in a 31-28 overtime win Dec. 14, he exposed himself to a brutal hit by Ravens Pro Bowl defensive end Haloti Ngata. RG III, while in the midst of running for a first down, never saw Ngata crash into his torso. Griffin's right leg twisted in the process and his knee was never the same the rest of the season. The fact that Griffin tried to keep playing during that contest only foreshadowed what happened in the playoff loss to Seattle.

Anybody who watched that wild-card matchup could see that Griffin was so hobbled in the fourth quarter that he shouldn't have been playing. It was even more apparent that a firestorm about who was responsible would erupt once it was revealed that Griffin needed reconstructive surgery. The controversy only increased when conflicting reports emerged over whether Shanahan had let Griffin return to the game with the blessing of noted orthopedic surgeon James Andrews or if Griffin defiantly went back in on his own. If that wasn't enough, Griffin has been consistently cryptic on the matter at various points in the offseason.

If all that is difficult enough to follow, it should be as simple as this: Griffin knows his body better than anybody and it's time that he understands his limitations more acutely. At 6-foot-2 and 217 pounds, he's not big enough to take some of the shots he took while rushing for 815 yards last season. He'll get hurt every season at that pace. He'll be a shell of himself before he even logs 10 years in the league.

More important, Griffin needs to own this issue instead of continually dancing around it. He didn't do himself any favors earlier this offseason when he sent a statement to ESPN saying, "I know where my responsibility is within the dilemma that led to me having surgery to repair my knee and all parties involved know their responsibilities as well."

Griffin also didn't do a great job of clearing up the matter with a recent news conference. He said he and Shanahan had "hashed everything out" and that they were "moving forward on that" but no specifics were given beyond that. All Griffin did in trying to clarify the matter was bring more haziness into the conversation.

While it's impossible to know how that conversation with Shanahan went, it's worth hoping that Griffin saw how he could improve the situation going forward. A few more slides would make a world of difference. A willingness to head out of bounds quicker or simply give up on a play sooner wouldn't be bad things either. Griffin should've learned as much when he faced the St. Louis Rams in Week 2 last season. That team cracked him so often, before and after the whistle, Shanahan was openly complaining about his quarterback's treatment for days afterward.

The most disconcerting sight during that game wasn't the way the Rams went after Griffin. It was his tough-guy response in the news conference after the loss. He wanted the world to know that RG III wasn't going to be intimidated by anybody in this league. If teams were going to come after him, then he would be more than ready to handle their abuse.

Griffin now should know that's a silly way to lead in the NFL. The best quarterbacks don't win games with bravado. They do it with their minds, arms and heart. A select few can even do it with their legs. The key, as Griffin will hopefully display this season, is realizing how best to use that gift in a league where running quarterbacks usually don't last long.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Griffin should've learned as much when he faced the St. Louis Rams in Week 2 last season. That team cracked him so often, before and after the whistle, Shanahan was openly complaining about his quarterback's treatment for days afterward.

The most disconcerting sight during that game wasn't the way the Rams went after Griffin

Horse Poo.

Hit guy with Ball is how you play the game. If III doesnt get rid of the ball in time, see first sentence.

I don't recall the Rams hitting wawawa after the whistle!
t2321.gif

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think Fisher got some calls from big brother after that Skins game ....Rams had some lingering odor of some connections to bounty-gate too....sure seemed to me that the Ram defense was real hesitant to treat the 9ers & Seahawks OB's with the same kind of love they treated RG3.

Matter of fact I just can not remember many hits on our division rivals do you? I do know one thing that Rams starting DE Robert Quinn is scared to death of getting close to Colin Kaepernick #7.

Quinn's containment plan was to run away as fast as he could to prevent any contamination of #7. If you think I am wrong I invite a re-watch of Quinn's play in those games....warning you may get :amped:

iced

EastRam said:
Griffin should've learned as much when he faced the St. Louis Rams in Week 2 last season. That team cracked him so often, before and after the whistle, Shanahan was openly complaining about his quarterback's treatment for days afterward.

The most disconcerting sight during that game wasn't the way the Rams went after Griffin

Horse Poo.

Hit guy with Ball is how you play the game. If III doesnt get rid of the ball in time, see first sentence.

I don't recall the Rams hitting wawawa after the whistle!
t2321.gif

i think there were a few "questionable" hits...

well, i'm bored and need something to do.... time to fire up that game! lol

iced

through the first quarter...

man I can't believe how terrible the officiating is - SO many bad calls by the Refs. From bad spots to phantom unnecessary roughness (i count 3).

No late hits yet on Robert either - well, actual late hits.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Rg3 is a primaddona who refuses,to own up to his own failures. Count me in on being glad we traded that pick

iced

also glad we traded that pick.

man that game was feisty - lot of after the whistle activity and scrapping, but by both teams. Only shot 'after the whistle' is maybe from dunbar with his forearm after he tackled Rg3 - but I'm personally not surprised either. There were atleast 3 different plays were those 2 were jawing...and then rg3 complained about someone leading with his helmet while he was runner (lol commentators called 'em out too).

But our D-line did hit him a lot, and he barely escaped a few tackles too.. Btw someone pissed of Dunbar real early in that game - not sure who, but that eventually spread throughout the teams as the game went on.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol, his tough guy bravado was definitely put on show in that Rams game. I still remember RGIII running with the football and then screaming and crying after a play that the Rams were leading with their helmets. The announcers chuckled and aptly pointed out that as a runner, you aren't protected from helmet to helmet shots. :lol:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
iced said:

man that game was feisty - lot of after the whistle activity and scrapping, but by both teams. Only shot 'after the whistle' is maybe from dunbar with his forearm after he tackled Rg3 - but I'm personally not surprised either. There were atleast 3 different plays were those 2 were jawing...and then rg3 complained about someone leading with his helmet while he was runner (lol commentators called 'em out too).

But our D-line did hit him a lot, and he barely escaped a few tackles too.. Btw someone pissed of Dunbar real early in that game - not sure who, but that eventually spread throughout the teams as the game went on.

I laughed my butt off at Shanahan and then Redskins fans crying foul after that game. They were just as chippy and Shanahan is known for his blocking scheme...which has been called dirty and dangerous for two decades now. They often cut and chop block...has resulted in a number of serious leg injuries. I don't blame anyone for wanting to fight fire with fire on the field.

iced

jrry32 said:
iced said:

I laughed my butt off at Shanahan and then Redskins fans crying foul after that game. They were just as chippy and Shanahan is known for his blocking scheme...which has been called dirty and dangerous for two decades now. They often cut and chop block...has resulted in a number of serious leg injuries. I don't blame anyone for wanting to fight fire with fire on the field.

cry about RG3 all you want.

The Redskins Special Teams in particular kept trying to start fights with whoever was returning even though it was clearly a touchback/fair catch. happened 2 or 3x

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
BonifayRam said:
I think Fisher got some calls from big brother after that Skins game ....Rams had some lingering odor of some connections to bounty-gate too....sure seemed to me that the Ram defense was real hesitant to treat the 9ers & Seahawks OB's with the same kind of love they treated RG3.

Matter of fact I just can not remember many hits on our division rivals do you? I do know one thing that Rams starting DE Robert Quinn is scared to death of getting close to Colin Kaepernick #7.

Quinn's containment plan was to run away as fast as he could to prevent any contamination of #7. If you think I am wrong I invite a re-watch of Quinn's play in those games....warning you may get :amped:
In fairness, it's not so easy to put a hit on a QB when the refs call a personal foul when no one actually touches Kaepernick. That one was supposedly on Long. Quinn was called for a bogus penalty in SF.

Besides, all that containment was because our OLB were a liability in pursuit. That changes this season.