Rewatched the game @ SF (Saffold)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

I watched ever snap, as sad as our O played that wasn't easy let me tell you!

HOW-EVER (my best Stephen A Smith)...

....the play of Roger Saffold in this game, at LT, was out standing!

This guy is damn strong!

Many times Aldon Smith tried bull rushing him but RS stopped his arse dead in his tracks. And he was tenacious in his run blocking as well.

When Smith tried running the corner Roger showed a nice kick step and beat him to the spot and then held his ground.

Once Smith got him with a nice club move but before he could get around him Saffold recovered and stoned him again.

Even late, with the game out of reach and with that bear Justin Smith coming hard, Roger was very impressive in stopping him cold too.

I don't know how he graded out in that game but from my unprofessional eye he was OUTSTANDING!

So much so that I went back and watched several second half plays again.

Injuries a side, this guy can play LT. I no longer have any doubt of that.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't have any doubt he can play LT at a high level either. However I do doubt he can play LT at a higher level than he can G.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't have any doubt he can play LT at a high level either. However I do doubt he can play LT at a higher level than he can G.

I'm going to tell you something, I've heard he's the strongest guy on the team and after re-watching this game...smh, this some-bitch is one DNA rifle-strong dude!

A55VA6

Legend
Dude can play anywhere on the line. Extremely strong and talented. Just hope he can go an entire season healthy.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Injury at OT was RS's biggest problem. And as strong as he is, playing him inside makes a TON of sense. Hopefully the injury bug will stay away from him and the rest of our OL this next season. It has been hit crazy-bad last 5 yrs. I have never seen anything like it. Seems that EVERY game we were losing someone to injury along the front. Let's end that curse!

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Jared Allen and Brian Orakpro made Roger look like --well, bad many time--at home in the dome. I have the games, I watch'em, I can't change my mind about him being just an above average guy against superior pass rushers. Jake is ok, but doesn't ever get dominated an entire game. He gave up a pressure and an important sack to Dwight Freeney in 2012, but the others snaps he had Freeney's number. I will take Jake,even in his declining state.

Roger is a great guard! Fisher knows this, and I am incredibly happy that we have him back!@!!!!!

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I've thought Saffold was OK at tackle. But in the games he played guard he looked like an All-Pro. I'm very happy he's been retained. I hope he can stay healthy and remain and guard the entire season because he will make the O-line much, much better there

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Its not easy for a team to have a starting OLT who is always injured & out game after game. Saffold as the Rams starting OLT in 2011 & 2012 caused Sam to go into games with sub par back up OLT's protecting him on his blindside. Saffold body & fame & strength is best suited for OLG & ORG. Saffold is a naturally thick 6-4 OL'er who can carry well over 330 pound easy. Having to keep his poundage down between 310 to 315 was hard for him. Saffold does not have prototype OLT arm length either center Barrett Jones has longer arms.

After Boudreau's first season as the OL coach he realized that Saffold should not be a starting OLT in his Ram OL. Thus the courting & signing of Jake Long early in 2013. Saffold was shifted to ORT because the Rams did not have a ORT. Fact is Saffold suffered 2 serious injuries (complete shoulder separation & 3rd grade knee sprain) playing ORT before the Rams had completed two games into 2013 season.... Saffold missed all but one series in the 4 game pre season and then failed to finish the second 2013 game & was unable to start until 11-10-13 as the starting ORG. Saffold started one more game @ OT ...game 17 & consistent with his past he was injured & helped from the field in the 2nd half & did not return. One would think it very wise and please put the Saffold experiment @ OT in the attic. Saffold will be an all pro OG for the Rams not seen since Adam Timmerman's time. Why would you want to derail that?

It would also be very smart to find in the draft another talented swing OT instead of repeating past Ram OL disasters once again....using an OUTSTANDING OG out of position.

Last edited:

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I'm thinking the implication here is that since Saffold is such a superb OT we should not draft an OT with our first pick.

Gee, maybe we should look at another position. Yeah, that's a good idea. Let's draft Mack at #2.