Researching Chevy Silverado 1500 - basic questions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Thanks bro. It's so comfortable, can't wait to really drive it.
One of the things I've always loved about Chevy trucks is that they drive like a car but are absolutely a truck. I also love where all the controls and creature comforts are located and work. You are going to love this truck.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One of the things I've always loved about Chevy trucks is that they drive like a car but are absolutely a truck. I also love where all the controls and creature comforts are located and work. You are going to love this truck.

Mine has a "sport mode" option. One of things I was/am still worried about is my current car was able to zip in and out, and completely leaving people in their weak ass 4 cylinder Camrys in the dust and this thing wouldn't. I haven't taken it out on the highway yet but hopefully this "sport mode" will make me feel like a weak ass 4 cyl Camry.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Mine has a "sport mode" option. One of things I was/am still worried about is my current car was able to zip in and out, and completely leaving people in their weak ass 4 cylinder Camrys in the dust and this thing wouldn't. I haven't taken it out on the highway yet but hopefully this "sport mode" will make me feel like a weak ass 4 cyl Camry.

Brudda

If you haven't had much experience driving in a truck... just be extra careful when you're on wet pavement. Especially when you're taking off from a complete stop. The lighter ends on trucks can make things somewhat squirrelly on wet roads. You can easily spin the wheels and even get the vehicle spinning sideways if you're trying to get on the gas pedal on wet roads. The truck won't do it on dry roads... so you can be surprised into an accident if you're not careful because of the difference in handling.

Trucks aren't meant to be sports cars. They do have more power than many sports cars... but they are designed for a different purpose. Just try and be careful man.

I love driving trucks and haven't been without one since my first son was born. Just bought myself a new one too a few weeks ago. Got an F-250 diesel... had it lifted and put some 37" tires on it with some sick rims. It's what I really have been needing for a long time for dragging my boat around. My old truck was really not meant for as much weight as I had it hauling. Now my wife can safely pack our whole house in the back too when we're dragging the boat. She's been doing that pretty much anyway... but it has made for some very nervous driving at times. I got the right tool for the job now though.

Enjoy it man. Living in Big Texas... you really are kinda expected to be driving a truck anyway. Get a Ram license plate on the front of that baby asap!

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
And I'll bet you're only on your second set of brakes.
Have an '04 with the 6.0 liter. Great motor - shit mileage.

Same… ‘03 with a 6.0… 113k miles… truck is amazing though. Engine is fantastic, can’t go wrong.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Brudda

If you haven't had much experience driving in a truck... just be extra careful when you're on wet pavement. Especially when you're taking off from a complete stop. The lighter ends on trucks can make things somewhat squirrelly on wet roads. You can easily spin the wheels and even get the vehicle spinning sideways if you're trying to get on the gas pedal on wet roads. The truck won't do it on dry roads... so you can be surprised into an accident if you're not careful because of the difference in handling.

Trucks aren't meant to be sports cars. They do have more power than many sports cars... but they are designed for a different purpose. Just try and be careful man.

I love driving trucks and haven't been without one since my first son was born. Just bought myself a new one too a few weeks ago. Got an F-250 diesel... had it lifted and put some 37" tires on it with some sick rims. It's what I really have been needing for a long time for dragging my boat around. My old truck was really not meant for as much weight as I had it hauling. Now my wife can safely pack our whole house in the back too when we're dragging the boat. She's been doing that pretty much anyway... but it has made for some very nervous driving at times. I got the right tool for the job now though.

Enjoy it man. Living in Big Texas... you really are kinda expected to be driving a truck anyway. Get a Ram license plate on the front of that baby asap!

Thanks bro. I would've never thought about driving any different in the rain. Drove it today some and yeah you are 100% right I def need to get used to its handling.

Oh and yes. I'm def. gonna be decking it out; i love how you can really personalize trucks.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Thanks bro. I would've never thought about driving any different in the rain. Drove it today some and yeah you are 100% right I def need to get used to its handling.

Oh and yes. I'm def. gonna be decking it out; i love how you can really personalize trucks.

Since you live in TX... I would put a little license plate in the back window behind the driver side that says Bud and another behind the shotgun side that says Sissy.

If you've never seen Urban Cowboy you wouldn't get that... but I bet you'd get a shit load of great attention/love from most vehicles who see it.

Psycho_X

Legend
Gratz!! Especially being able to nab a new truck in this current market. It's not easy from what I hear. But if you're like me you'll never go back to a non-truck if you can help it. Absolutely love them. Yeah they won't take off like a sports car but mine still has very good acceleration. As mentioned the take off traction is your biggest obstacle. I've got a flat, foldable hard cover on my bed which adds a good chunk of weight which helps. A couple heavy sand bags in the bed helps too but thats more for cold climates with ice/snow.

My 19 i got a few years ago had the best feature I never dreamed I would ever want but now that I have it I can't go back... heated steering wheel. Probably not much of a need for you southern or west coast climate people but up in Illinois it's wonderful for 5 months of the year. Nothing like having to clear ice/'snow off your truck when you get off work and hop in the truck with frost bit fingers and just have to wrap them around your steering wheel... ahhhhh.