Report: NFL owners wanted NBA-like max contracts in new CBA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
NFL owners wanted NBA-like max contracts in new CBA

As the NFL salary cap continues to rise each season and the value of franchise quarterbacks skyrockets with each record deal, NFL owners reportedly tried to push back against it this offseason. During negotiations on a collective-bargaining agreement, team owners pushed for a measure that would have put a cap on quarterback salaries.

According to ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler, NFL owners became so worried over rising quarterback earnings that they pushed for a player salary cap. Specifically, owners wanted a structure similar to the NBA’s max deals for superstars.

The proposal would have been a major hit for the likes of Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott, Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes and Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson. All three stars have been in extensions talks with their teams on deals that are expected to set the new mark for the position.

Owners reportedly pushed for the proposal early in negotiations, but it was shot down immediately by the NFL Players’ Association and was not part of the final CBA proposal. Players approved the new 10-year CBA on March 15, which gave them a higher share of league revenue and additional benefits.

Prescott is likely the first among the three star quarterbacks that will sign an extension this offseason. He re-engaged in discussions with the Cowboys after being hit with the franchise tag and there is an expectation within the NFL that he will become the highest-paid player ever.

Of course, he likely wouldn’t be the highest-paid player for very long. Mahomes is expected to land a deal that will shatter the market, potentially hitting $40 million per season. Discussions between the Chiefs and their Super Bowl MVP aren’t expected to pick up until after the 2020 NFL Draft.

Watson might be the biggest uncertainty regarding an extension. While the Texans are certainly more than willing to give him a long-term extension, the recent trade of star receiver DeAndre Hopkins could cloud things. Some around the NFL have even speculated that Watson might not be with the Texans in 2021.

No matter what happens, the owners’ failed push to include a cap on player salaries is a significant win for quarterbacks. Now with the NFL expanding to a 14-team playoff and eventually a 17-game season, salaries for quarterbacks will likely climb even higher in future years.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I wish the owners could have figured out something here.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can’t remember who said it here, but a poster had suggested that with the QB being so pivotal to the NFL, a simple solution would be to exclude their salary from cap calculation.
Some times things can be just too obvious I guess

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
NFL agents must have a lot of influence if the majority of players in the league didn't want this. This is a no-brainer for anyone but QBs and HOF talent players at other positions.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I can’t remember who said it here, but a poster had suggested that with the QB being so pivotal to the NFL, a simple solution would be to exclude their salary from cap calculation.
It was me and some people thought I was crazy lol.

And yes they should. I'm surprised this didn't pass. But at least it's on the table and hopefully they can add the addendum in the future. QB money is getting dumb and other players shouldn't suffer because the NFL can't seem to get their shit together when it comes to these things

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
It was me and some people thought I was crazy lol.

And yes they should. I'm surprised this didn't pass. But at least it's on the table and hopefully they can add the addendum in the future. QB money is getting dumb and other players shouldn't suffer because the NFL can't seem to get their shit together when it comes to these things
I thought it was a good idea just didn't think there was any way you could convince the union to accept it. It would likely require a large salary cap increase and they sell it to the lower ranks as a pay raise for them so they outvote the bigger money guys kind of like this cba.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
This just makes too much sense, gotta be a way a franchise QB doesn’t ruin a franchise via the cap.

bluecoconuts

Legend

That should be the next step since the players will almost assuredly turn this down.

Bummer, because I like that the NHL and NBA do that, plus they have incentives to help teams keep their home grown players off rookie contracts. Not major ones, but at least they're there. I would like the NFL to do something similar.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

giphy.gif

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

exactly.

give the bottom of the roster more money and there won't be enough money to pay a qb $40m.

unfortunately the union is always geared towards the superstars for some reason. fuck them, they make plenty of money. the union is supposed to look after everyone.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
NFL agents must have a lot of influence if the majority of players in the league didn't want this. This is a no-brainer for anyone but QBs and HOF talent players at other positions.

Yeah, I don't get it, given that the salary cap is a zero-sum game, as every $ that goes to a QB is a $ that can't go to another player.

Either way, they need to do something. Teams have such a hard time finding a quality QB, and then when they do, they get punished for locking him up.