Report-Card Grades for Every NFL Team's Offseason/Rams C+

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Report-Card Grades for Every NFL Team's Offseason Before Training Camp Begins
By Russell S. Baxter, Featured Columnist

St. Louis Rams: C+
hi-res-18da3247ff9376b434b7846608bb0932_crop_north.jpg

No winning season since 2003 and no playoff appearance since 2004.

Those are pretty dreadful numbers, but those are the facts when it comes to the St. Louis Rams.

The team did trade for former Pro Bowl quarterback Nick Foles (Philadelphia Eagles). They also used 10th overall pick in April to select running back Todd Gurley. The offensive line was a concern this past season, and general manager Les Snead addressed it often with four of this year’s draft picks (five if you include the selection of Isaiah Battle in last week’s supplemental draft). The club also signed guard Garrett Reynolds, late of the Detroit Lions.

Look out if the defense performs as it did the second half of 2014. That unit added defensive tackle Nick Fairley and linebacker Akeem Ayers to a unit that ranked 17th in the league in total yards allowed but allowed only 30 offensive touchdowns.

Despite the arrival of Foles, there are still a lot of question marks surrounding the offense, too many at this stage of the offseason.

Arizona Cardinals: B+
hi-res-75bd93123753ec47eabfc8c00ad8bbd2_crop_north.jpg

Matt York/Associated Press

Kudos to Bruce Arians, who earned NFL Coach of the Year honors in 2014 due to the fact that he gotten the Arizona Cardinals to the playoffs as pieces of the team fell left and right.

The club heads into this season minus defensive coordinator Todd Bowles, now the head coach of the New York Jets. This unit has added defensive tackle Corey Peters, defensive end Cory Redding, linebackers Sean Weatherspoon and LaMarr Woodley and cornerback Alfonzo Dennard. We’re still waiting to see if suspended inside linebacker Daryl Washington will rejoin the team.

On offense, the club added three-time Pro Bowl left guard Mike Iupati and drafted tackle D.J. Humphries in the first round to aid a running game that finished next-to-last in the NFL this past season.

Perhaps more importantly, quarterback Carson Palmer appears to be ready after missing the second half of 2014 with a torn ACL.

The Cardinals are an interesting team in an NFC West in the midst of transition.

San Francisco 49ers: D+
hi-res-5066ed1c7eb378bc9f1b6a75d6692d92_crop_north.jpg

Jeff Chiu/Associated Press

So the San Francisco 49ers really let a man that led their team to a 44-19-1 record and three appearances in the NFC title (including one Super Bowl berth) get away.

The franchise should get an F for that move alone. Regardless of why, Jim Harbaugh is now coaching the Michigan Wolverines.

We are not going to lay blame on the organization for players such asPatrick Willis, Justin Smith, Chris Borland and Anthony Davis opting for retirement—all for various reasons.

But there’s also no more Frank Gore (the franchise’s all-time rushing leader), as well as three-time Pro Bowl guard Mike Iupati and solid cornerbacks Chris Culliver or Perrish Cox.

The team does get back inside linebacker NaVorro Bowman and is hoping Aldon Smith can be on the field for 16 games. Free-agent pickup Torrey Smith could be an upgrade over wide receiver Michael Crabtree, now with the Oakland Raiders.

But in terms of this organization, this whole offseason has had an uneasy feel to it.

Seattle Seahawks: B+
hi-res-fbc792c9c1901776e772aef7c0a42b00_crop_north.jpg

Joe Nicholson/Associated Press

With a major addition comes a big loss…sometimes.

While the trade that brought three-time Pro Bowl tight end Jimmy Graham to the Seattle Seahawks was pure genius, it did cost them former Pro Bowl center Max Unger.

The Seahawks also watched left guard James Carpenter take the free-agency train out of town while highly regarded cornerback Byron Maxwell signed with the Philadelphia Eagles. The team added Cary Williams, who was actually cut loose by Chip Kelly’s club, but the offensive line could have some growing pains early in 2015.

Don’t cry for head coach Pete Carroll as the team looks for a third straight Super Bowl appearance. The “Legion of Boom” secondary is on the mend due to numerous injuries but the team remains stacked in many areas.

Now if only the Seattle brain trust can get this contract situation figured out with two-time Pro Bowl and Super Bowl champion quarterback Russell Wilson.
Too read about all the other teams click the link below.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...l-teams-offseason-before-training-camp-begins

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
New OC. New QB. Complete OL overhaul. Two key defenders added on defense.

If this article is about addressing areas of weakness from the previous season, seems to me that Fish and Snead did about as good a job as you can in one offseason. This is even more true when you consider they moved a QB with a huge cap hit who has missed two consecutive seasons due to injury for a QB one year removed from one of the best statistical seasons ever.

Don't get me wrong btw... I could care less what that clown thinks. But I'm just amazed by the lack of objectivity. Seems like so many of these media types cannot see anything but the previous season's results. If the NFL lived up to their expectations the same teams would win every single season with the same win totals and results.

But it doesn't work that way. Fortunes rise and fall every season and these dudes rarely see it coming. Makes me wonder why I even read it tbh...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Seems about right...I guess....then we gotta play the games to see if any of this sticks...What if SF goes 14-2? Seattle goes 5-11, and we go 13-3, I guess the grades are screwed....

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

If this article is about addressing areas of weakness from the previous season, seems to me that Fish and Snead did about as good a job as you can in one offseason. This is even more true when you consider they moved a QB with a huge cap hit who has missed two consecutive seasons due to injury for a QB one year removed from one of the best statistical seasons ever.

Don't get me wrong btw... I could care less what that clown thinks. But I'm just amazed by the lack of objectivity. Seems like so many of these media types cannot see anything but the previous season's results. If the NFL lived up to their expectations the same teams would win every single season with the same win totals and results.

But it doesn't work that way. Fortunes rise and fall every season and these dudes rarely see it coming. Makes me wonder why I even read it tbh...
In addition. The Rams did it without mortgaging the future.

Not giving the whiners an F- is also a fail.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Ah Yes C+, it's like college calculus all over again, minus the plus.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I can't tell you how much weight the bleacher report carries with me when it reports on our Rams. Zero? Oh... I guess I can.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Several disagreements with this author...

He has a far higher opinion of Iupati than I do. I think he's overrated as an all around OG. He certainly didn't look good against our front four, that's for sure.

Graham is a one trick pony as a TE. It's a great trick, but still... Ogletree seemed capable of containing him when we played the Saints. Graham sure isn't gonna be a big help to the Seahawks bread and butter running game, I guarantee you that. Meanwhile, the Seahawks gave up a 1st and a Pro bowl C to get him. And Graham has some mileage on his tires. So you can put me in the camp that considers this move kinda iffy if one thinks long term.

And speaking of OL, I would be damned concerned if I were a Seahawks fan. Especially playing in THIS division. I could easily see our front four rag dolling the new young Seahawks OL this season. We got to Wilson plenty last few seasons when they had Unger and Carpenter, so...

I agree that the Niners had a bad offseason, starting with losing Harbaugh. They are a FO slow motion train wreck. Couldn't happen to a nicer team. Lol.

Like Merlin posted, I am hard pressed to think how S&F could have had a better offseason, given their holes and picks. Foles and Gurley are looking like HR's to me as of pre camp. And I'm high on Hav plus the Fisher comments re Brown are most encouraging. Resigning Britt and Kendricks were huge. Adding Fairley and Ayers sure look great to me. Geez, what more do S&F have to do to get a B grade? Maybe even an A grade.

We'll all have a better handle on these various divisional off season moves come September. But for right now, color me damned happy!

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Other than not landing Coach Chud (sorry, just really wanted him as OC) I can't see how we grade lower than a B+-A-. I understand we will have a ton of new moving parts, but this is referring to the grading of the actual moves which is a result of attention and focus to our biggest areas of weakness going into the off season. Sure, throw in the center position too bc I'm not so convinced Jones will hold up, but looking at the options in free agency and the draft, aside from Erving there was no real alternative. Butt hurt media geese gonna hate!!

fancents86

Starter
We got a low grade bc we didn't pick anyone up who's "exciting". Gurley is exciting, but he won't be ready at the beginning if the season and is still a question mark to some. I give us an A+ considering we took care of our oline which has been lacking for over 10 years.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I learned somethin new today.

The responses to bleacherreport articles are much better than the article. And I can save time by just scrolling to the responses and skipping the bullshit.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In college, I thought Calculus was one of Caesar's Roman soldiers...No, believe it or not, I was not a math major...
NO! Calculus was the son of a God... you remember Calculus and Remus, don't you?
:whistle:

Big Willie

Starter
The Rams upgraded their OLB position. They upgraded their defensive line rotation with another first round draft pick. (For a defense that was in the top half of the leaguer the second half of the year) They brought back all starters from that defense. They upgraded their QB position by getting a healthy signal caller who previously performed for a playoff team. They upgraded their OL by replacing declining, injury plagued players with ascending players. They upgraded their RB position with a back compared by many with AP and Marshawn. They replaced their OC with someone on their staff who has familiarity with the system they ran in 2014, but more flair for this century's offensive style than Shotty. (The Seahawks showed you don't have to have a flamboyant offense to win in the league...and our defense demolished Denver's and Indy's prolific offenses over the last two years)

The team should have gotten a B just with the trade for Foles.

I guess if the Rams had brought in several veterans who were past their prime or injury prone like others in the division they would have gotten a higher grade.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
In college, I thought Calculus was one of Caesar's Roman soldiers...No, believe it or not, I was not a math major...

Neither was I, but I was determined that there was nothing I could not accomplish...So Calc I three times and got my C and my nickname "Tommy Boy."

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
What did I tell you guys about Russell Baxter in the "Stock Down" thread? With that said, him giving the Rams a C+ while Arizona and Seattle get a B+ does not surprise me one bit.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I haven't read any responses past this, yet... But this couldn't have been said better.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Neither was I, but I was determined that there was nothing I could not accomplish...So Calc I three times and got my C and my nickname "Tommy Boy."

So you're sayin you wore the teacher down... :p

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So you're sayin you wore the teacher down... :p

Actually yes, it was the same Professor and the third time he actually said to the class: "This is just about the time we lose Den." Maybe he just got tired of my sad face.:whistle: