Remembering Steve McNair

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Remembering Steve McNair: Five years after his death, family celebrates his life
Rana L. Cash @ranacashSN

Thousands who knew him as Steve "Air" McNair, who saw him break passing records at Alcorn State even before the NFL began paying close attention, came to expect his annual Fun Day.

Rides. Water slides. Games. Food and still more food. The summer bash was a fitting annual farewell for a player whose heart was never far from his roots in Mount Olive, Miss. It was McNair's way of thanking all his fans; it was their way of sending him to NFL training camp at the end of July on the highest of notes.

245283-650-366.jpg

Steve McNair (AP Photo)

There's no send-off now. Only a full-hearted effort to hold on to what was.

On Saturday, the day after the five-year anniversary of McNair's July 4, 2009, death, family and friends from all over will celebrate their favorite son the way he celebrated them.

"He knew how much people in the community cared for him," said his brother Fred McNair. "The Fun Day was something he always wanted to do before he left, so every year we have a big memorial in honor of him. The fellowship, fireworks, friends. We do it in memory of Steve."

McNair, married and retired from the NFL, was shot and killed in a murder-suicide by his 20-year-old girlfriend, Sahel Kazemi.

The death of the three-time Pro Bowl QB who starred with the Titans and Ravens, and its circumstances, remains stunning and tragic. One of the quietest days on the NFL calendar was pierced by unfathomable news.

In the years since, his family has tried to make sense of it, tried to move beyond the tragedy by focusing on their son, brother, father and friend.

The oldest of his four children, Steve Jr. played two years of football as a receiver at Pearl River Community College. Fred McNair is an assistant head coach at alma mater Alcorn State. His mother, Lucille McNair, just celebrated her 65th birthday.

"She says she hit the speed limit," Fred McNair said, laughing.

Fred McNair said he and another McNair brother, Tim, speak of Steve often.

"Just the other day, Tim and I were talking about some of the things he would do if he were here," Fred McNair said.

Things they chose to tuck away in their hearts. Saturday will be the time to share their brother's memory with others.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
What a player he was. McNair, to me, was the closest thing to Steve Young we've seen outside of Young's best years.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Normally I get frustrated at Carter everytime I watch McNair's big play, but this time I actually noticed the corner who gave up Dyson. I wasn't surprised to see ol' 4th and 30 Dexter McCleon.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Normally I get frustrated at Carter everytime I watch McNair's big play, but this time I actually noticed the corner who gave up Dyson. I wasn't surprised to see ol' 4th and 30 Dexter McCleon.
McCleon was frustrating to watch. Talented. Inconsistent. Passed that mantle on to Dre' Bly, I felt.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
did we ever really get an explanation of his death?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
did we ever really get an explanation of his death?

He had a girlfriend on the side and she shot him then killed herself evidently because he would not leave his wife for her. She did it in a condo he had her set up in...... it wasn't a nice thing all the way around.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He had a girlfriend on the side and she shot him then killed herself evidently because he would not leave his wife for her. She did it in a condo he had her set up in...... it wasn't a nice thing all the way around.
This is an extreme example of how an affair looks good on paper and in the fantasy "adult films", but the reality of having one usually has disastrous results. Sex is the greatest champion ever.
Scoreboard= SEX: 1,000,000,000,000,000,000......
COMMON SENSE TO NOT HAVE AN AFFAIR: 0.