Relocating for Employment

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
In my line of work, I get quite a few offers to jump ship and move on to a competitor. Usually they have been local(within 100 miles or so).

Last year I had an offer to relocate to KC...I live about an hour SW of St.Louis now. I wasn't really feeling that.

Today I have been offered an opportunity to relocate to Chicago. The pay would be fantastic...but, with that pay comes very high expectations.

My question is for those who have taken the leap. Was it worth it? To move your wife and kids to a strange place where you don't know anyone or anything around you. Do you feel selfish? Just questioning things right now.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
In my experience, the only time I had problems leaving to a new place is if I leave from I where grew up, even to this day whenever I visit.

Going from Place A to Place B for work purposes, I wouldn't really care that much. My only requirement would be a decent sized city. Of course if you're well settled near STL and everything is paid or nearing paid off, I can see why one wouldn't want to restart again. As far as the pay, ultimately you're doing what is best for yall for now and the long term. The "high expectations", as long as those "high expectations" don't put unnecessary pressure on you or effect or mental health, I'd say go for it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I moved my family every few years for 30 years in my time in the service, so my own view is skewed a bit by that, but I'd say the key is whether it's best for the family. Call me old fashioned, but I believe the dude is responsible for the family so if you need to move to improve income do what you need to do.

It is a shame that it's Chicago though. Not a fan of that area personally nor of the teams up there.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was a kid in this situation. We moved from my hometown in Whittier, CA to Conroe, Tx (near Houston), and then in a couple years we moved to Sacramento, CA.

I remember my Dad crying over the first gas.electric bill because of how expensive it was, unexpectedly. There were other unanticipated expenses. My mother had mental problems with the humidity, believe or not. The pressure of being far from her mother and that security net also was not easy. As for the kids (my sisters and I), we handled it differently. My oldest sister had been bullied in SoCal, but took to SE Texas like a duck to water and spoke nauseatingly with a fake Texas twang. My other sister was a gregarious sort and so she was ok, and I was ambivalent. When we moved to Sacramento, my oldest sister took it hardest and my other sister loved it. Again, I was a loner and so it didn't matter so much. However, looking back in my life, it would have been better for me to never have moved. I left Whittier when I was 12 years old, and it feels that I missed having the solidity of having a real hometown. As an adult, I have lived in many places and wonder if that's because I wasn't anchored anywhere when I was young?

Anyway, it could all be BS and this is the right move for you and your family. I lived for a year and half north Chicago, and had fun there as a sailor.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea Chicago of all cities.....thats the turn off. The nations killing zone. It's a turn off for sure

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
To be honest, the biggest turn off is it being in such a big city.

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
Does it offer better quality of life? Able to live more comfortably? We made a decision 2 years ago, it wasn't easy on all in the household, but we moved to Spokane from the Seattle area. We were able to buy a brand new house, as in we are the first owners brand new in Spokane. Where in The Seattle area we could not even afford a fixed upper.

I have not regretted it. The only issue I would say for you is how stable is the job in conjunction with the covid environment business wise. Also will the job expectations reflect the difficulties in business flow in these times, such as sales, ect.

whatever you choise, good luck my friend!

bluecoconuts

Legend
Personally, I love moving to a new place, but that's me. I don't mind change, and I think it's fun to see new things and to change things up. The hardest thing about it really is just having the nerve to actually do it, once you do you often realize how easy it was. Humans are very adaptable though, so it typically speaking doesn't take long for someone to adjust and get comfortable.

I'm also not married nor do I have kids though, so it's different. Obviously you're going to have a lot of different factors.

Ultimately I would try to look at the quality of life you would have, and if it's an improvement. If you have an understanding of the pay scale, try to see what you can afford, how far you'd want to commute, etc, and that should hopefully paint a more clear picture if it would be an improvement or not. It also could be worth talking it over with your family and seeing what they think. If they automatically reject the idea, then it might be good to go with that, but if they love the idea, it could also be taken into consideration.

My relocates, while stressful at the time, have ultimately been worth it. New experiences, new opportunities, etc. I took a leap of faith leaving JPL to take a low level university job, and with a year I've been able to work myself up to surpass my JPL salary, which was a big factor in me remaining there, and have a job that I enjoy significantly more.

I miss a lot about LA, but luckily it's not too far away if I want to visit, and I get to enjoy the beauty of the PNW.

Plus I get to give the finger to Seachicken fans and their stadium a lot and that's just therapy there.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
As someone who has lived abroad, the one question I’ve grappled with most; Is the family around you now, awesome and important to how you live today?

Meaning, family gets together regularly. Maybe watches kids. Grandparents are around. etc.

While there are great tools to close the distance, you can’t get back any time you give away there.

Work your thoughts thru that. (y) That’s what I’d do.

I’m sure you’ll make the right decision as evident by your efforts to ask for advice. :fistbump:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My .02, its a family decision much more than your decision.
You'll be the one at work in an environment for which you are experienced, they will be at home/school etc where everything is brand new.
The family could see it as an adventure, and an opportunity for better quality of life. They could also go the other way.
Lastly, after being in corporate services for a long time, I know one thing is certain. Ask for the moon and stars for making the move. Whatever financial living expense arrangements they offer, double it

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I was a kid in this situation. We moved from my hometown in Whittier, CA to Conroe, Tx (near Houston), and then in a couple years we moved to Sacramento, CA.

I remember my Dad crying over the first gas.electric bill because of how expensive it was, unexpectedly. There were other unanticipated expenses. My mother had mental problems with the humidity, believe or not. The pressure of being far from her mother and that security net also was not easy. As for the kids (my sisters and I), we handled it differently. My oldest sister had been bullied in SoCal, but took to SE Texas like a duck to water and spoke nauseatingly with a fake Texas twang. My other sister was a gregarious sort and so she was ok, and I was ambivalent. When we moved to Sacramento, my oldest sister took it hardest and my other sister loved it. Again, I was a loner and so it didn't matter so much. However, looking back in my life, it would have been better for me to never have moved. I left Whittier when I was 12 years old, and it feels that I missed having the solidity of having a real hometown. As an adult, I have lived in many places and wonder if that's because I wasn't anchored anywhere when I was young?

Anyway, it could all be BS and this is the right move for you and your family. I lived for a year and half north Chicago, and had fun there as a sailor.

Nice
Me and the wife born at Whittier Presbyterian

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm going to be long winded here as I've been through a few of these.

A couple things I would consider. One of the most important ones I would say is what kind of feeling you get from those you will work with/for.

I moved from CA to Oregon many years ago. I had a very good feeling about everyone I interviewed with. I was with that company for 10 years before I finally took one of those "great" offers. What a nightmare. I then took another job in a completely different field because not only did it feel right but I was in a position where I could honestly negotiate things like vacation time, when I would need to go through ownership to make a decision, my schedule, etc... Flash forward 7 years and I helped my very great owners negotiate the sale of the business. Unfortunately, I didn't have a real good feeling about the new owners so when I was offered a job from someone else I ALSO didn't have a good feeling about, I jumped ship. Another nightmare. He was the worst kind of micromanager and used to spend over an hour on the phone with me from 1000 miles away complaining about all his other managers. He would often get involved, piss off all our contractors and vendors and leave me trying to re-establish relationships. I finally had him fly in for a meeting where I started in on him. Finally, he asked, "Well Stu... Where do you see yourself in five years?". My response - "Not here talking with you.". It was totally unscripted but I instantly felt a flood of relief. His expression was priceless.

The other thing I would really consider is quality of life for you and your family. I kind of disagree with the notion that your situation will be easier to deal with. Like it or not, it is you that will have to cope with how the move effects everyone in your family including YOU. If the new situation makes your life a living hell, they will pay for that too. Chicago seems to be a huge difference from your current life IIRR. More money doesn't mean a better life.

Will there be more violence? Will traffic suck? Are the schools a good place for your kids? Does your wife like the area? Those are all real considerations. But if you get the feeling you will not be happy at work or where you will be living, I think that may tell you all you need to know.

Do your research. Go to places like Glass Door (I think it is) and see how the business rates for work place satisfaction. Look into the area where you'll be working/living. Look into the schools.

If it makes sense and you have a good feeling, go for it. But if you feel like you will be hating life? Maybe not.

Good luck Juggs.