Recap: A Look How the Rams 2017 Draft Class Performed this Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rookie-Recap-A-Look-at-How-the-Rams-2017-Draft-Class-Performed-this-Season/523b9a6e-f2b6-42d1-9ff0-9b8012f25b6d

Rookie Recap: A Look at How the Rams 2017 Draft Class Performed this Season

With the the start of the new year, it’s important to look back on the season that was. And in 2017, the Rams draft class played a significant role in the club’s overall success. The following list describes how each member of the 2017 draft class performed in his rookie season:

TE Gerald Everett — Round 2, No. 44

Everett joined Tyler Higbee to give the Rams two, young pass-catching tight ends. The South Alabama product recorded several impressive catches throughout the season, showcasing his movement and agility in the open field — even as a big-bodied tight end. He finished the year with 257 yards from scrimmage and two touchdowns.

WR Cooper Kupp — Round 3, No. 69

The former Eastern Washington standout was one of the Rams most impressive rookies, and all-around receivers this season. From Week 1, Kupp established himself as a crisp route-runner who can make moves in open space. And although he did have a few key drops throughout the regular season, he bounced back well from adversity and was overall extremely productive. The wideout recorded 62 catches for 869 yards and five touchdowns — setting the franchise record for most receptions by a rookie in a single season.

S John Johnson III — Round 3, No. 91

Johnson started out the season as a key rotational piece in the Rams secondary, but by Week 5, the Boston College product had taken over the starting role. In his first career start, Johnson picked off Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson. And from the point forward, he has continued to be an important contributor on defense — recording 91 tackles and 11 pass breakups.

WR Josh Reynolds — Round 4, No. 117

Reynolds impressed early on during training camp, showcasing his good hands and ability to stretch the field. But with of the Rams’ stacked receiving corps, Reynolds did not see too many snaps in his rookie season. The wide receiver, however, did make the most of the opportunities he was given. When veteran Robert Woods went down with a shoulder injury midway through the season, Reynolds filled in nicely, recording his first career touchdown. In all, he finished the season with 11 receptions for 104 yards.

OLB Samson Ebukam — Round 4, No. 125

Ebukam showed strong growth during his rookie season, learning from veteran outside linebackers like Connor Barwin and Robert Quinn. Throughout the first six weeks, Ebukam’s impact came primarily on special teams where he was given extensive extensive playing time — but he became a solid rotational piece on defense as well. When Barwin broke his forearm in November, the Eastern Washington product filled in and flashed his speed and strength off the edge. In 16 games, Ebukam recorded 38 tackles, 2.0 sacks, three quarterback hits, and one forced fumble.

DT Tanzel Smart — Round 6, No. 189

The Tulane product — like most NFL rookies — had his share of ups and downs this season. Under coordinator Wade Phillips 3-4 defensive scheme, the Rams experimented with both Smart and defensive tackle Ethan Westbrooks as a complement to Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers. Smart stepped in well at nose tackle through 16 games and four starts, recording 18 tackles, one quarterback hit, and one pass breakup.

FB Sam Rogers — Round 6, No. 206

It’s not often that an NFL team drafts a full back, but head coach Sean McVay saw something special in Rogers. Rogers spent training camp on the active roster, but was cut in roster reduction to 53 players at the start of the regular season. But he has since been signed to a futures contract and will begin the offseason program on the active roster.

DE Ejuan Price — Round 7, No. 234

The Pittsburgh product spent the first 12 weeks of the season on Los Angeles’ 53-man roster, but was active for just one game. Like Rogers, Price also signed a futures contract with the franchise and will be on the team for the start of the offseason program.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty impressive for not having a 1st round pick. I'd like to see more of Reynolds if Watkins wants big money .
Go after a shutdown down corner or run stuffing LB with the money .

fearsomefour

Legend
Everett and Ebukam developing are the keys to this draft going from a nice draft to an epic one. Reynolds certainly showed some flashes when given a chance. Because of the depth he was afforded the luxury of being able to learn this year. Assuming Austin is moving on Reynolds should be on the field more this year. Will be interesting to see if Rodgers can get on the roster next year as well.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Look at the schools some of these guys are from.

South Alabama. Eastern Washington (two of them). Boston College.

Not exactly "football factories", at least I don't think so. Feel free to correct me I don't watch college sports, but none of those are football programs that are showing up on ESPN's or Fox Sports front page.

Good work by Snead. I think we have a GM that is not competent or good, he seems to be skilled at identifying talent.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Los Angeles Rams sign 10 players to futures contracts
Jan 8, 2018
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/08/nfl-los-angeles-rams-futures-contracts-practice-squad/

Now that the season has come to a complete end, the Los Angeles Rams are going to start gearing up for the offseason as well as the future, and with that being the case, they’ve used all 10 available futures contracts on:

Of these 10 players, two were originally drafted by the Rams: Rogers and Price from the 2017 NFL Draft. Price spent half of the season on the active roster and even had some playing time after injuries shuffled the depth charts though things never materialized for him. Outside of Price, Hatfield was the other premier player of these guys, as he logged some playing time as well, particularly against the Minnesota Vikings with multiple CB injuries coming about in the game.

Reserve/Future contracts are available for teams to offer to any players not signed to an active roster at the conclusion of the regular season. Futures contracts are minimum-salary deals with little or no signing bonus, so the only players willing to accept them are the practice squad, fringe roster types. While teams are required to hold a 53-man active roster with a 10-man practice squad in season, the offseason allows them to work down to that from a 90-man roster. The 53-man deadline is yet to be announced, but generally follows the conclusion of the preseason schedules of all 32 teams.The Rams head to the offseason with a roster full of young players looking to improve and continue to build on a very successful 2017 season.

Ram65

Legend
Next year will be able to see better how this draft pans out.

Kupp coming in as a 3rd rounder and producing was a great pick. Just some easy drops when trying to run before they catch can be improved.

Johnson could be the surprise of the draft. Wade liked him but, not many others. He was a trade down extra pick so he is like a bonus. His grading seemed solid. He is not the big hitter seems to make play solid football.

The Rams got some production out Everett/Reynolds/Ebukam/Smart. Next year they will have to step up.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Good work by Snead. I think we have a GM that is not competent or good, he seems to be skilled at identifying talent.

Plus he has great hair and in the end, isn't that what it's all about?
Hair+Treat+Williams+1979.JPG

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Everett and Ebukam developing are the keys to this draft going from a nice draft to an epic one. Reynolds certainly showed some flashes when given a chance. Because of the depth he was afforded the luxury of being able to learn this year. Assuming Austin is moving on Reynolds should be on the field more this year. Will be interesting to see if Rodgers can get on the roster next year as well.

WR Josh Reynolds might end up benefiting greatly if Sammy Watkins decides he is worth a top #10 wide out long term contract with rich salary demands $$$. Reynolds has some cloaked deep & Red Zone talents. I expect Josh Reynolds & Mike Thomas will be able to make a good amount of our ROD members forget Sammy & have more to offer in benefits than most realize.

OLB Samson Ebukam will play a major role in the 2018 Wade defense. He is a Wade type fit for this 34 defense. With the probability that both costly veterans Barwin & Quinn will be gone, he is a leading prospect for the SS OLB post. I am sure that he will have some talented rookies join him in competition this upcoming season. OLB Ejuan Price might still catch fire after a slow learning season.

fearsomefour

Legend
WR Josh Reynolds might end up benefiting greatly if Sammy Watkins decides he is worth a top #10 wide out long term contract with rich salary demands $$$. Reynolds has some cloaked deep & Red Zone talents. I expect Josh Reynolds & Mike Thomas will be able to make a good amount of our ROD members forget Sammy & have more to offer in benefits than most realize.

OLB Samson Ebukam will play a major role in the 2018 Wade defense. He is a Wade type fit for this 34 defense. With the probability that both costly veterans Barwin & Quinn will be gone, he is a leading prospect for the SS OLB post. I am sure that he will have some talented rookies join him in competition this upcoming season. OLB Ejuan Price might still catch fire after a slow learning season.
Watkins will sign with SF if he doesn't resign with us. Will be hard to forget him either way.
Ebukam has a ways to go to prove he is a stater. Barwin at $3.5M is not widely expensive and could be brought back to split time with Samson at OLB.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Los Angeles Rams sign 10 players to futures contracts
Jan 8, 2018
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/08/nfl-los-angeles-rams-futures-contracts-practice-squad/

Now that the season has come to a complete end, the Los Angeles Rams are going to start gearing up for the offseason as well as the future, and with that being the case, they’ve used all 10 available futures contracts on:

Of these 10 players, two were originally drafted by the Rams: Rogers and Price from the 2017 NFL Draft. Price spent half of the season on the active roster and even had some playing time after injuries shuffled the depth charts though things never materialized for him. Outside of Price, Hatfield was the other premier player of these guys, as he logged some playing time as well, particularly against the Minnesota Vikings with multiple CB injuries coming about in the game.

Reserve/Future contracts are available for teams to offer to any players not signed to an active roster at the conclusion of the regular season. Futures contracts are minimum-salary deals with little or no signing bonus, so the only players willing to accept them are the practice squad, fringe roster types. While teams are required to hold a 53-man active roster with a 10-man practice squad in season, the offseason allows them to work down to that from a 90-man roster. The 53-man deadline is yet to be announced, but generally follows the conclusion of the preseason schedules of all 32 teams.The Rams head to the offseason with a roster full of young players looking to improve and continue to build on a very successful 2017 season.

Curious if NT Omarius Bryant develops. Thought he showed some flashes in camp. Would be a nice bonus if they run out of resources to adequately add help at DT/NT in the draft or FA.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Watkins will sign with SF if he doesn't resign with us. Will be hard to forget him either way.
Ebukam has a ways to go to prove he is a stater. Barwin at $3.5M is not widely expensive and could be brought back to split time with Samson at OLB.
Agree on the 9ers to Watkins comment. Oh who's Sammy Watkins again:). I forgot already:D.
I agree on your Conner Barwin over Rob Quinn value comment but I tend to bunch them together in cost. I might be surprised though on Barwin returning for several seasons @ a good econo price $$he is a class act dude. I saw enough from Ebukam to make me :love:on his future here. Right now I am in shock :shocking: on what the Jags are doing to the yellow waving towels crew.

fearsomefour

Legend
Agree on the 9ers to Watkins comment. Oh who's Sammy Watkins again:). I forgot already:D.
I agree on your Conner Barwin over Rob Quinn value comment but I tend to bunch them together in cost. I might be surprised though on Barwin returning for several seasons @ a good econo price $$he is a class act dude. I saw enough from Ebukam to make me :love:on his future here. Right now I am in shock :shocking: on what the Jags are doing to the yellow waving towels crew.
Barwin made $3.5 last year.
I'm not giving him a raise really. If his ask gets to $5M I would rather spend that money on Davis from the Broncos or even a run stopper like Whitehead from Detroit.
Quinn saves the Rams $11M a year with a cut.
Sadly, he may provide more value as a cut than a keep.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Barwin made $3.5 last year.
I'm not giving him a raise really. If his ask gets to $5M I would rather spend that money on Davis from the Broncos or even a run stopper like Whitehead from Detroit.
Quinn saves the Rams $11M a year with a cut.
Sadly, he may provide more value as a cut than a keep.

Definitely would not pay Quinn $11M a year but is there any chance he would renegotiate his contract with the Rams? I really like Quinn but I don't think he is the player he was and certainly not worth his current contract.

fearsomefour

Legend
Definitely would not pay Quinn $11M a year but is there any chance he would renegotiate his contract with the Rams? I really like Quinn but I don't think he is the player he was and certainly not worth his current contract.
The $11M in cap savings make him hard to keep. Who knows what he would do?
If he is cut and resigned somewhere else it will be at a price cut anyway.
Maybe he would. How much cap savings would be required to keep him?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I do think Reynolds might end up being a starter. But after getting some looks at Thomas down the stretch I've let go of any hopes he might develop into something. Either way if Watkins leaves the Rams will suddenly have a deep threat problem with only Reynolds as a legit option to alleviate the problem. This is why I think Watkins gets signed.

Ebu has potential to start at OLB on the left side. He's not a blindside guy, doesn't have the quicks, but he does have some upside and potential. So they might have something in him, but then again he also might be just a guy.

I'm thinking a few years from now the 2017 draft will have netted 3x starters. Kupp, Johnson, and maybe one of Reynolds or Ebu. So probably a B draft grade or thereabouts.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
You could cut Quinn's base to 1 million and give him a 8 million bonus and make it a 4 year deal. Then he still essentially gets $9M payout next season, but his cap number would only be $3M next year. Or something like that.