LEGEND Really Cool Photos / Videos

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You're walking a nature trail with your significant other, and you see this.
Now what?

Screenshot_7.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, me too. Unfortunately, neither of us can run a sub 4 - 4o. Those things run 40-50 MPH. I think I'd just lie down and let whatever happens, happen. Why be all out of breath right before you die? That just seems like wasted energy.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yeah, me too. Unfortunately, neither of us can run a sub 4 - 4o. Those things run 40-50 MPH. I think I'd just lie down and let whatever happens, happen. Why be all out of breath right before you die? That just seems like wasted energy.

Actually, cougars get startled rather easily. Basically, if they think that the prey is too big or intimidating, they won't go for it. So yelling, making yourself look bigger? That works. The last thing you want to do is lie down; cougars are known to go for the most vulnerable part of your body (the head/neck area), and they have enough bite force to crush your skull.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Actually, cougars get startled rather easily. Basically, if they think that the prey is too big or intimidating, they won't go for it. So yelling, making yourself look bigger? That works. The last thing you want to do is lie down; cougars are known to go for the most vulnerable part of your body (the head/neck area), and they have enough bite force to crush your skull.

@Memento volunteers to provide a demonstration... :p

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm still trying to figure out if it's worth running away though.
Running is hard.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm still trying to figure out if it's worth running away though.
Running is hard.

Given the fact I've had my cat chase me down and latch on when I was running for the oven or something similar before, I wouldn't recommend running away.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You're walking a nature trail with your significant other, and you see this.
Now what?

View attachment 37800
My nephew does a lot of deer and elk guiding. He was guiding for Tule Elk in CA and looked up to see a huge cougar about 10 feet away in some bushes. He had no gun on him. He took some pictures with his cell phone and joked that he took them so people would know what killed him. I've seen the pictures and all I could think was fuck that. This is why I always carry when I hunt or hike in the woods.

oldnotdead

Legend
On my very last long multi-day hike (as opposed to a simple day hike) I had my head down as I was walking over debris-covered ground when I looked up and about 50 ft away was an adult cougar just standing there looking at me. I put my hand on my pistol but did not draw. We stood looking at one another for maybe 2 minutes. I took a slow step back and paused. The cat cocked his head but made no other move. I took another slow step back all the while never turning and simply watching him watch me. I paused again and the Lion hand not moved at all. I kept this up until the slope of the hill took me out of sight. I walked back another 50 yds and waited about 15 minutes before resuming my hike in the original direction. The lion was gone.

I learned along time ago, show no fear, no sudden movements, and never turn your back. If possible simply slowly put distance between you and the animal. I'd had similar experiences with bears who IMO are far more dangerous. Black bears however normally aren't overly aggressive. The one-time one did make a move towards me, it was on all fours, and turned and took a step towards me. I pulled my gun and fired one round into the ground in front of the bear. It turned and ran off. In that encounter I did not continue on, I simply detoured in the opposite direction the bear went. Because of the area, I was hiking in I carried my Dan Wesson 357 mag. My buddy Ron (RIP) was a reloader and loaded some rounds hot and with a wadcutter seated reversed. Better than a hollowpoint IMO. You get maximum kinetic energy transfer without over-penetration (the problem with 9mm). When I did carry my 9 mm I used full jacketed bullets. Again to reduce penetration and maximize fragmentation.

Considering how many hikes and how many days I spent in the backcountry I've had relatively few problems with animals. Nowadays it's the two-legged animals that are the problem in the backcountry. A sad testimony to our times.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Paddle Boarding Turquoise Lake outside of Leadville Colorado. It looks calm but the wind was gusting on the water about 15 mph.

9E9A1808-B59A-432F-A46B-1D3423279F53.jpeg

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
On my very last long multi-day hike (as opposed to a simple day hike) I had my head down as I was walking over debris-covered ground when I looked up and about 50 ft away was an adult cougar just standing there looking at me. I put my hand on my pistol but did not draw. We stood looking at one another for maybe 2 minutes. I took a slow step back and paused. The cat cocked his head but made no other move. I took another slow step back all the while never turning and simply watching him watch me. I paused again and the Lion hand not moved at all. I kept this up until the slope of the hill took me out of sight. I walked back another 50 yds and waited about 15 minutes before resuming my hike in the original direction. The lion was gone.

I learned along time ago, show no fear, no sudden movements, and never turn your back. If possible simply slowly put distance between you and the animal. I'd had similar experiences with bears who IMO are far more dangerous. Black bears however normally aren't overly aggressive. The one-time one did make a move towards me, it was on all fours, and turned and took a step towards me. I pulled my gun and fired one round into the ground in front of the bear. It turned and ran off. In that encounter I did not continue on, I simply detoured in the opposite direction the bear went. Because of the area, I was hiking in I carried my Dan Wesson 357 mag. My buddy Ron (RIP) was a reloader and loaded some rounds hot and with a wadcutter seated reversed. Better than a hollowpoint IMO. You get maximum kinetic energy transfer without over-penetration (the problem with 9mm). When I did carry my 9 mm I used full jacketed bullets. Again to reduce penetration and maximize fragmentation.

Considering how many hikes and how many days I spent in the backcountry I've had relatively few problems with animals. Nowadays it's the two-legged animals that are the problem in the backcountry. A sad testimony to our times.
There is some real wisdom in your post. I’ll be taking it to heart while I’m in the wilderness. Gonna be spending some time in cougar and black bear country this weekend actually. Stories like yours always remind me to stat cautious. I’ve never had an encounter myself and I tend to get a little too comfortable out there sometimes.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is why I take bear spray in the mountains, if not a gun :oops:

Here are two of my best shots from a 60 mile backpacking trip last summer.

View attachment 38041View attachment 38042
Paddle Boarding Turquoise Lake outside of Leadville Colorado. It looks calm but the wind was gusting on the water about 15 mph.

View attachment 38049

I love scenery based photography and video! Those views are amazing! Wow!

What would those water temps be @Neil039?

oldnotdead

Legend
There is some real wisdom in your post. I’ll be taking it to heart while I’m in the wilderness. Gonna be spending some time in cougar and black bear country this weekend actually. Stories like yours always remind me to stat cautious. I’ve never had an encounter myself and I tend to get a little too comfortable out there sometimes.

One more piece of advice. Never hurry if you travel slowly you will give animals time to get out of your way. This is especially true if moving through snake country. I used to walk through a riparian park in Carlsbad where it was snake-infested. I would see dozens of snake tracks in the soft dirt. But never had a problem at all. Because I moved slowly enough that they avoided me. Rattlesnakes have very keen infrared senses. They can sense you depending upon the terrain dozens of yards away. The only time I've ever had a problem with them is when climbing rocks and you surprise them and they can't sense you coming.