Ranking defensive triplets; a growing trend in NFL team-building

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-triplets-a-growing-trend-in-nfl-teambuilding

Ranking defensive triplets; a growing trend in NFL team-buildin

a look at the best defensive trios in the game today ...

• By Bucky Brooks
  • NFL.com Analyst
  • Published: July 12, 2019

Ranked #4)
DT Aaron Donald,
LB Dante Fowler Jr.
CB Marcus Peters
S Eric Weddle,

Los Angeles Rams:

The back-to-back Defensive Player of the Year is arguably the best football player in the league. Donald sets the standard for the Rams' defense with his endless energy and freakish athleticism. He's unstoppable at the point of attack and opponents must account for his whereabouts on every single play. Fowler finally showed flashes of being a top-five draftee when he teamed up with Donald after a midseason trade. Fowler took his game up a notch in the playoffs, as evidenced by his 1.5 sacks and persistent pressure off the edges. Peters didn't bring his A-game in 2018, but still finished with three interceptions to push his career total to 22 picks in just four seasons. Considering the pressure the Rams should be able to generate with Donald and Fowler pushing the pocket, we could see No. 22 swiping passes left and right in 2019. And if Peters doesn't tickle your fancy, how about the savvy six-time Pro Bowl safety L.A. just scooped up in free agency?

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
4 is triplets more, eh? When will people learn that words have meanings. Damn you, Bucky.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And am I the only one who prefers Talib to Peters?

No you're not.

Brooks is a moron. He demonstrates that playing the game at the NFL level doesn't mean you actually have the knack of evaluating players, projecting them, or building a roster.

My greatest hope right now on the defensive side of the ball is that Long can push Peters out. Because he's the weak link in our secondary and without a doubt in the bottom third of the roster based on last season's performance. Right now I'd call our top 3 as Donald, Talib, Weddle. Which means our secondary got a huge boost because Joyner was not anywhere near a top player on our defense last year.

What we really need is an edge to establish himself. So if it's Fowler that works, but it might also be Matthews that steps up and provides what we've been lacking. So IMO we need to stay tuned and personally I think Matthews will be a top 3 guy on this roster this season.

dang

Legend
Rams defensive triplets going forward:

Donald - best defensive player in NFL/check

Johnson - all pro safety/will happen this year

Fowler -all pro Edge/????

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
My choice for the triplets are Donald (obvious), Littleton (pay the man), and JJ3 (will be a Pro Bowler this year).

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Bucky lost me at "triplets" because he listed 4 Rams and he STILL failed to list our top 3 defenders.

I'm predicting our top 3 this year will be:
Donald
JJ3
Fowler

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
I question "triplets" as being a trend at all. Especially since apparently they can be of any position. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.