Ranking all 32 RB1s heading into 2019

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ranking all 32 RB1s heading into 2019

It's going to be weird to see Le'Veon Bell donning green this season. Real weird.

Of all the running backs who switched teams this offseason, no move was bigger than Bell's, as he signed with the New York Jets in free agency after not playing a single snap during his contract dispute with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2018. We got our first glimpse of No. 26 as Gang Green's new RB1 at the team's mandatory minicamp earlier this month.

With the major offseason player movement behind us and just over a month to go before training camp commences, now is the perfect time to assess every NFL backfield. (I know you've been waiting for this, so I'm going to give the people what they want.) Here is my ranking of all 32 RB1s heading into the 2019 season.

Note: If a team operates with a running back committee, I simply chose the player who I think will have the most production in 2019.

Saquon Barkley

Barkley's rookie campaign speaks for itself. He totaled a league-high 2,028 scrimmage yards and topped off his first season with the Offensive Rookie of the Year award. Barkley is the undisputed focal point of the offense now that Odell Beckham Jr. is in Cleveland. The uber-talented second-year pro should have another tremendous year with an improved offensive line blocking for him.

Alvin Kamara

Kamara's dynamic ability was on full display in 2018, particularly while Mark Ingram served a suspension during the first four games of last season. No. 41 averaged an NFL-best 152.8 scrimmage yards per game and tied for a league-high six scrimmage TDs during that span. I'm excited to see how Asshole Face will utilize the versatile back now that Kamara will be the Saints' full-time RB1 (free-agent addition Latavius Murray will be the RB2) for a full season.

Le'Veon Bell

Looking forward to seeing Bell back on the field after a year off. With positive reports on Bell coming out of Jets' minicamp earlier this month, I'm expecting the fresh veteran back to be a nightmare for defenses. The last time Bell played a full season (2017), he was an absolute game-wrecker: 321 carries, 1,291 rush yards, nine rush TDs; 85 receptions, 655 receiving yards and two receiving TDs. Adam Gase should be licking his chops as we speak.

Ezekiel Elliott

Entering Year 4, Zeke will do what he's always done: eat, eat and eat some more. The Cowboys' offense runs through the two-time Pro Bowl selectee, who had a career- and league-high 381 touches in 2018. Elliott has been wildly productive, posting the fifth-highest average for rushing yards per game (101.2) by a player in his first three seasons in NFL history. He also became more of an asset in the pass game last season (career-high 77 catches) and should continue to improve this part of his game moving forward.

Christian McCaffrey

The Panthers ranked fourth in rushing in 2018 thanks to McCaffrey's monster Year 2. He led the team in most offensive categories, including carries, rushing yards, rushing TDs, receptions, receiving yards, receiving TDs, offensive touches, scrimmage yards and scrimmage TDs. He did it all, and I expect more of the same from the home-run hitter in 2019.

Todd Gurley

Gurley was one of the most productive backs in the league last season, ranking second among RBs in touches per game (22.5), rushing yards per game (89.4) and scrimmage yards per game (130.8). He also scored a league-high 21 touchdowns. A knee injury sidelined Gurley for the last two weeks of the regular season, and he wasn't the same in his return in the postseason. Looking ahead to 2019, less is more in his situation -- as I explained on "NFL Total Access" earlier this month. Of course, the knee issue will be something to continue to monitor, but the Rams will get carries from Malcolm Brown and third-round draft pick Darrell Henderson, which will allow Gurley to be fresher and more explosive when he is on the field. Don't get it twisted, though; Gurley's production will still be among the best in the league. Just on fewer touches.

The rest:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...32-rb1s-heading-into-2019-saquon-barkley-no-1

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Christian McCaffrey

giphy.gif

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whenever I see an RB ranking for 2019, I ask myself: Do I want to read the story and get pissed, or don’t read it and be calm?”

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Whenever I see an RB ranking for 2019, I ask myself: Do I want to read the story and get ticked, or don’t read it and be calm?”

If you didn’t know better, one might think Todd Gurley’s leg fell off at the end of last season.

Short attention spans.

Ram65

Legend
Can't get upset over rankings before the season. It's what happens during the season. In Todd We Trust.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

He's really, really, really, good though. He's basically a stronger Leveon Bell, but with all the BS.

Plus when you consider the Panther WRs haven't really developed yet, and Cam being hurt, that dude is still producing at an unreal level. If CM was on this Rams team...look out.

For me my top 5 are:

1. Saquon

2. Ezekiel Elliot

3. CM

4. Todd Gurley

5. Alvin

Leveon Bell is # 6.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He's really, really, really, good though. He's basically a stronger Leveon Bell, but with all the BS.

Plus when you consider the Panther WRs haven't really developed yet, and Cam being hurt, that dude is still producing at an unreal level. If CM was on this Rams team...look out.

For me my top 5 are:

1. Saquon

2. Ezekiel Elliot

3. CM

4. Todd Gurley

5. Alvin

Leveon Bell is # 6.

He IS good. He is quite the receiver too. And... while he was good in 2017 too, 2018 was his breakout.

Todd’s had 3 of those types of season.

Feels like a lot of writers are knocking Todd down forgetting he was a real MVP candidate for most of last season.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If you didn’t know better, one might think Todd Gurley’s leg fell off at the end of last season.

Short attention spans.
Exactly. The stock market mentality of the modern media doing what it does best...prop up or knock down.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
Guys please, I think #6 is pretty generous considering his considerable dropoff at the end of the year.
I expect him to be back to his old self at the beginning of the season but who knows.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Feels like a lot of writers are knocking Todd down forgetting he was a real MVP candidate for most of last season.

Yeah, it's the injury and the unknown of how he'll be used this year (i.e., less carries, pulling him out early, etc).

In no particular order, right?

Actually it's that order, as of 6/25/19. Do I think talent wise TGII is better than the other 3, absolutely. I just think those 3 are set up better and less of an unknown going into 2019.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
This list is based on predicted production, all of the rankings at this point are basically lists for fantasy football, we all expect to see Gurley get less touches and snaps, so it's expected that his overall production will drop. Depending on how the game is going he might sit out a whole quarter, they did it 2 years ago when they were up in a few games. Some of these teams won't have that luxury, and some aren't as smart. I (sadly) remember watching the cowboys vs jags and Zeke was still getting carries well into the 4th quarter in order to get 100yrds eventhough it was a blowout. The other names all play for offenses that will most likely ride on them, Cam might not be fully healthy and Brees' arm might be shot.

This particular ranking is made by MJD who works for/with the Rams organization. He probably has some insight as to how they're going to be using Gurley.

Last edited:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Actually it's that order, as of 6/25/19. Do I think talent wise TGII is better than the other 3, absolutely. I just think those 3 are set up better and less of an unknown going into 2019.

I assumed that was a talent evaluation, not a 2019 performance projection. In that case, I tentatively accept what you've proposed as one possible version of what's to come.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can’t be the only one who thinks that McCaffrey looks like he’s trying to pinch a loaf in that pic
C’mon man