Random thoughts- running the Pistol

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I was just thinking about how Fisher likes to run the ball. I realize it's kinda unorthodox, but what about running the pistol? You can run about 50 different ways with it. Counters, reads, draws, wide slants, dives. You name it. I think we would need a Russell Wilson type of QB who has some speed. But play action would be deadly. And we could use Mason, Stacy/Cunningham and Austin in bunch formations. Defenses wouldn't know who's running it because it gives you 3-4 potential options every play. Also, it frees up the outside receivers to single coverage with a high safety over the top most plays. Quick and Britt would torch that all day. I know this would never happen because that means we would need a new coordinator but I think with the personnel we have it would work well. Just a thought.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
If Bradford starts at QB next year, there would just be no way. His mobility would be next to nothing and we would have to keep him in the pocket. If we drafted Mariota and he started the season, I could see a system like that being very effective.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If Bradford starts at QB next year, there would just be no way. His mobility would be next to nothing and we would have to keep him in the pocket. If we drafted Mariota and he started the season, I could see a system like that being very effective.
Yeah that's my point. We need a mobile QB to do it. Which at this point I wouldn't mind.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
What mobile QB is realistically available that you think we should get?
Well I think we will draft a QB. So hopefully there's a mobile one left in rounds 1-3. Because getting stability at that position is a must this year.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
One of the main advantages of running the pistol is keeping a back really tight, preferably a big back that can do pass pro. The back takes the blow, not the QB. SJax would have been perfect for this.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I'm not opposed to running the Pistol necessarilly, however I'm not sure what kind of offense we can run with the expectation of reasonable success with an interior O Line that can't block. (see Center and Right Guard)

Alan

Legend
Sea turtle
SEA-TU1.jpg

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I thought that was the formation on most of Tavon's jet sweeps. The QB doesn't have "normal" depth of shotgun, where Tavon gets the ball (or not...) and defensive personnel have to check a 2nd or even 3rd time to see whose got it. By that time.....he's past them or Mason already has a step or 2. But that's all we use it for that I've seen.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I thought the Broncos run the Pistol? And last time I checked Peyton Manning isn't exactly the most mobile QB.
They run a variation. But I'm talking about strictly running it. You have a never ending plethora of plays you can design. As long as you have the right players to do it I think it can be successful.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I hear Johnny Football may be available at the rate he's going.
:)
If he wasn't such a douchebag I would say yes. I think he can be a decent QB still. He makes poor decisions though.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he wasn't such a douchebag I would say yes. I think he can be a decent QB still. He makes poor decisions though.
It was a joke... a BIG joke... I predict nothing but failure for Johnny Football and wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

Speaking of poles, Happy Festivus to everyone! :)