Ramswire: Rams showed plenty of interest in tight ends at Senior Bowl

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...nior-bowl-draft-prospects-meetings-tight-end/

The Rams have three capable tight ends in Tyler Higbee, Gerald Everett and Derek Carrier, but none of them were particularly great in a specific area this past season. Higbee is a willing and consistent blocker, while Everett doesn’t offer much in that department. Carrier is a decent No. 3 tight end, but he may not be on the team in 2018.

All that considered, the Rams seem to be very interested in the tight end position this offseason. They met with at least three of the tight ends at the Senior Bowl in Mobile this past week, which is pretty telling of how they feel currently about the position.

A short (albeit incomplete) list of players the #LARams have visited w/ this week at the @seniorbowl:

Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon
Akrum Wadley, RB, Iowa
Tyler Conklin, TE, CMU
Durham Smythe, TE, Notre Dame
Ian Thomas, TE, Indiana
Sean Welsh, OG, Oregon
Trayvon Henderson, S, Hawaii

— Brandon Bate (@NoPlanB_) January 27, 2018

Everett and Higbee aren’t in danger of being cut as both are under contract through at least 2019, but Sean McVay said this offseason that the Rams need more out of their tight ends so they can avoid getting stuck in 11 personnel with three receivers on the field.

It’s highly unlikely they’ll spend a top pick on one in the draft, but selecting a tight end in the mid-to-late rounds is certainly a strong possibility.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It appears to me that they're looking for an inline TE (i.e., more of a blocker) in the mid-to-late rounds. That makes sense. I still think Everett is going to be a breakout player for us in 2018. His athleticism popped on tape.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Crosby had a very good week of practices followed by a good performance in the game. It'd be nice if he was there for our 3rd round pick but not sure that's going to happen any more.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Durham Smythe from Notre Dame would be a nice pick later...He's a very good blocker, but also has the athleticism to run the seam route and the football IQ, to find the soft spots of the zones.

Scouts are going to fall in love with Ian Thomas at the combine, however, his lack of production a tad concerning, although, he had one heck of a game against the Buckeyes so the upside is there.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
wow I was sure our draft would be almost entirely d f but by the way interviews are going not so sure.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I feel the Rams need an upgrade at TE in order to go deeper in the playoffs. I like Higbee, but he hasn't turned out to be that dynamic threat in the passing game. His blocking has improved and his pass catching is adequate. Everett has shown flashes in his rookie season, but it seems his number wasn't called much. I think these (2) make a good foundation for the TE group but need another player to raise the skill level.

LIke @den-the-coach says, some scout is going to fall in love with Ian Thomas. I didn't even need to hear that, I'm already partial. I don't know if he can play in-line, but he's 6'3" and 256 lbs. He is stout and faster than many of the other TE's, timed at 4.65in the 40.
@jrry thinks they're moving towards an In-line prospect . I'm not sure. Of the 3 TE's listed in Ram interviews, Smythe is the tallest at 6'5" and weighs 255. Both Thomas and Conklin are both 6''3', more of the "Move TE" size.
After seeing tape on Thomas, I am impressed by his hands and ability to get upfield; he looks like a WR with the ball in his hands. His strong build should make it easier for him to block LB's and DE's in the run game.
If McVay stays with the "move" type TE, I hope they pick Thomas in the middle rounds.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel the Rams need an upgrade at TE in order to go deeper in the playoffs. I like Higbee, but he hasn't turned out to be that dynamic threat in the passing game. His blocking has improved and his pass catching is adequate. Everett has shown flashes in his rookie season, but it seems his number wasn't called much. I think these (2) make a good foundation for the TE group but need another player to raise the skill level.

LIke @den-the-coach says, some scout is going to fall in love with Ian Thomas. I didn't even need to hear that, I'm already partial. I don't know if he can play in-line, but he's 6'3" and 256 lbs. He is stout and faster than many of the other TE's, timed at 4.65in the 40.
@jrry thinks they're moving towards an In-line prospect . I'm not sure. Of the 3 TE's listed in Ram interviews, Smythe is the tallest at 6'5" and weighs 255. Both Thomas and Conklin are both 6''3', more of the "Move TE" size.
After seeing tape on Thomas, I am impressed by his hands and ability to get upfield; he looks like a WR with the ball in his hands. His strong build should make it easier for him to block LB's and DE's in the run game.
If McVay stays with the "move" type TE, I hope they pick Thomas in the middle rounds.

Based on what I know about these guys, I think they're looking for a guy to replace Derek Carrier. Smythe and Thomas are both known for being good blockers, and 6'3" 256 pounds is perfect size for an inline TE. Here's an example of Thomas making a big block in the running game:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Thomas I also like the way he plucks the ball when he catches it. He made a real nice catch on a slant in the Senior Bowl game and has that ability to put it away quickly too which I like.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Rams got pretty good blocking from Higs last year. His development in that regard was significant and showed even as the season progressed. Everett is also a willing blocker, he had that rookie overload that you see with TEs but I am sure his development in both the passing and run game will be significant under McVay's tutelage.

What they were missing was natural pass catchers. Guys who can get on a LB or safety's feet and option route the F out of them then make the catch even if it's contested. WRT option routes, some guys just don't have it man. It's not an athleticism thing, and Higs came up short and probably will again.

The question is whether Everett's and to a lesser extent Higbee's expected growth will be enough for McVay to field the 12 personnel he wants without seeing a dropoff in passing game potency. I am not sold on that.

Name
Rod
Don't know if this means anything, but McVay seemed devastated when Hemmingway went down with an injury. Don't here much of him, but he was said to be making some pretty dramatic improvement before the injury.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...nior-bowl-draft-prospects-meetings-tight-end/

The Rams have three capable tight ends in Tyler Higbee, Gerald Everett and Derek Carrier, but none of them were particularly great in a specific area this past season. Higbee is a willing and consistent blocker, while Everett doesn’t offer much in that department. Carrier is a decent No. 3 tight end, but he may not be on the team in 2018.

All that considered, the Rams seem to be very interested in the tight end position this offseason. They met with at least three of the tight ends at the Senior Bowl in Mobile this past week, which is pretty telling of how they feel currently about the position.

A short (albeit incomplete) list of players the #LARams have visited w/ this week at the @seniorbowl:

Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon
Akrum Wadley, RB, Iowa
Tyler Conklin, TE, CMU
Durham Smythe, TE, Notre Dame
Ian Thomas, TE, Indiana
Sean Welsh, OG, Oregon
Trayvon Henderson, S, Hawaii

— Brandon Bate (@NoPlanB_) January 27, 2018

Everett and Higbee aren’t in danger of being cut as both are under contract through at least 2019, but Sean McVay said this offseason that the Rams need more out of their tight ends so they can avoid getting stuck in 11 personnel with three receivers on the field.

It’s highly unlikely they’ll spend a top pick on one in the draft, but selecting a tight end in the mid-to-late rounds is certainly a strong possibility.
OT - Tyrell Crosby - Oregon is widely considered to be a "Day-One-Starter" He would be a great addition IF we are lucky enough to get him!(y)(y);):D Let Whitworth coach-him-up!!:yess:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't know if this means anything, but McVay seemed devastated when Hemmingway went down with an injury. Don't here much of him, but he was said to be making some pretty dramatic improvement before the injury.

Thing is for 12 personnel we need a guy to pair with Everett. That means improvement on seam and option routes, while still being able to block.

I don't know that Hemingway offers that package. More like he's a depth and ST guy who backs up Everett.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Everett and Higbee aren’t in danger of being cut as both are under contract through at least 2019
I wouldn't be so sure.....if I were Higbee.

I thought there was a good blocking TE outta Wisconsin in that game?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Thing is for 12 personnel we need a guy to pair with Everett. That means improvement on seam and option routes, while still being able to block.

I don't know that Hemingway offers that package. More like he's a depth and ST guy who backs up Everett.
In McVay's post Season Presser, If I recall correctly, he mentioned How he had high hopes for Hemingway when he returns to the Team. So he must have something in mind for him!(y);):D

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't be so sure.....if I were Higbee.

I thought there was a good blocking TE outta Wisconsin in that game?

Higbee is "solid." He's improved to be a solid blocker who can catch defenses napping. But he's not a guy you can trust in the passing game the way McVay wants to trust his TEs. His cap number is pretty low, so yeah I think he's safe and will serve as a depth role if things go the right way in FA.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In McVay's post Season Presser, If I recall correctly, he mentioned How he had high hopes for Hemingway when he returns to the Team. So he must have something in mind for him!(y);):D

Hemingway is all unicorns and rainbows as far as I'm concerned. Didn't see anything from him in camp, and him being injured when he should have been making a name for himself puts him behind the curve. We'll see, but I seriously doubt McVay is going to roll the dice on the current TE room all stepping up.

Everett looks like a good candidate to do that, but there's no way our HC is looking at the TE room and being happy about it wrt fielding a 12 personnel group that can challenge defenses in the passing game.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Hemingway is all unicorns and rainbows as far as I'm concerned. Didn't see anything from him in camp, and him being injured when he should have been making a name for himself puts him behind the curve. We'll see, but I seriously doubt McVay is going to roll the dice on the current TE room all stepping up.

Everett looks like a good candidate to do that, but there's no way our HC is looking at the TE room and being happy about it wrt fielding a 12 personnel group that can challenge defenses in the passing game.
I completely agree! I don't see McVay rolling with this group as it is right now!