Rams WR Robert Woods Talks About the Upcoming Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams WR Robert Woods Talks About the Upcoming Season –Audio

Los Angeles Rams WR Robert Woods joins John Ireland and Ben Lyons, and talks about his health, and the team’s mindset for the upcoming season.

Listen to Woods Interview

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Man den, are you an early riser or something? I can't think of anyone else who'd be up this early.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So Woods is getting Married in July and then going on a Honeymoon! I hope it doesn't screw-up his training regiment!(y);):D

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Woods-Ready-to-Build-Off-2017-Success/f57a8dee-835e-436d-aeb8-436ab4f34336

Woods Ready to Build Off 2017 Success

Like most players around the league, Rams wide receiver Robert Woods was ready for a break after the 2017 season.

“I feel like you have to,” Woods said recently. “It’s a long season, you put in the work. We made it to the playoffs, had a tough loss at the end. I mean, you think about it for a while.”

So the fifth-year pro took some much-needed time off, travelling to Miami with his fiancée and spending a few weeks away from the game.

“You’ve got to let it go and to refresh your mind, [so you] come back ready to work. Fresh mind, fresh legs, fresh year,” he said.

But last week it was back to business. Woods got a head start to the team’s offseason program — which commenced on Monday — by meeting up with fellow teammates like wide receiver Cooper Kupp, tight end Tyler Higbee, and quarterback Jared Goff. The group worked out together at a local high school.

By putting in work early on, the USC product is hopeful the unit can pick up right where they left off last season.

“Last week, seeing the guy all together, you’re seeing everybody come together as a group,” he said. “For me, it looked like we didn’t miss a beat. I think it gives us an advantage just to come in already knowing some of the plays, so when we do get to OTAs it’s not like Day 1 for us. We already have a rhythm down, so we’re not starting back at ground zero.”

But not all of those present at offseason workouts are as familiar with the Rams scheme. During free agency, the club picked up wide receiver Brandin Cooks via trade, while bolstering the secondary with cornerbacks Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib.

The new duo in the secondary will provide a challenge for Woods and the rest of the team’s receivers during practice, something the wideout said he’s looking forward to.

“For us, we get to go against those guys every day,” he said. “We’re going to improve in our receiver room going against that kind of talent, going against guys who go after the ball and play throughout the whistle, play until the whistle is done.”

And while the heightened competition in practice will admittedly benefit the team long term, Woods understands that the Rams will need to take a one-day-at-a-time approach to the offseason — with the ultimate goal of building on the foundation set in 2017 and gearing up for training camp.

“It’s Day 1, there’s a lot of work to be done before the season. We’ve got a lot of new faces in the room, on the team. But same mindset, same goal — put in the work,” Woods said. “Right now, just get better each day, be ready physically and mentally, grasp the offense, grasp the defense.”

“Our thing is just competing,” he continued. “We love working. We love competing. Come August, you become a team then. Right now, we’re challenging, pushing, getting guys to be better.”

jap

Legend
The commentators talked about Robert's "break out season," but as far as I am concerned Robert was just doing what he was already capable of doing. I do not follow collegiate ball like some of the regulars here, but Robert was one of the college stars I sorta followed. I wanted the Horns to draft him so badly and was thrilled when they finally snared him last off-season. If anything, he and Jared will continue to build on their 2017 success.

Still I expect an even bigger improvement to come from the collaboration of Jared & Cooper Kupp. Now that he has been fully exposed to NFL-caliber hitting from quality DB's, he and his fitness coaches knew what he needed to build on so those critical drops/fumbles of last season decrease sharply or altogether. Cooper should become a major clutch play man this season.

I am also hoping for a dramatic improvement from Tavon, another impact player who didn't receive much opportunity to work with Jared last off-season due to his injured wrist. It's one thing to make electric cuts instinctively: it's another altogether to generate them by design as he would when running routes. He does not have to have the greatest hands in the world, but if he can improve his route running to the point where he is shaking & baking with those electric quicks instinctively---as opposed to rounding off his cuts or thinking his way through his cuts (which is virtually guaranteed to naturally slow one down)---he is going to drive opposing DBs and DCs stark raving mad when he begins getting wide open regularly for easy catches in motion. Then his natural running instincts will make him a paydirt threat every single time he touches the rock as an RB and as a receiver.

Finally, it is high time for our young TEs to come away from the kiddie table and join the older players in Sean's Air Show. It's tough enough for defenders/DCs dealing with our starting receivers. What happens when our young TEs begin to go prime time with their play on a consistent basis. And to balance all this receiving talent, there is always the Gurley Man back there ready to burst past, hurdle over, or flat out run over any defender that gets between him and pay dirt.

Last edited: