Rams will have 23rd selection in round one

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Bills must likely will be trading up, or taking Offense dudes

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think the best value for the pick is gonna be OLB

I think Payne and Vea are gone by then and no other NT is remotely close in value.

I LOVE Josh Jackson CB Iowa, but with the hype he's getting and his film, he's gonna be the top CB taken. Beneath him are a bunch of guys who are about equal which will drive down their stock. I expect a run on CBs in the second/third rounds.

The nice thing is that there are three exceptional 3-4 OLB candidates and I'm almost certain we can get one to replace Barwin.

1) Clelin Ferrell. Clemson. Probably the best pure pass rusher of the 3, he's likely gone in the top 15.
2) Sam Hubbard. Ohio State. Best coverage OLB of the three with solid pass rush skills. If they want to keep Quinn, Hubbard is the guy you want on the other side.
3) Austin Bryant. Clemson. Another really skilled pass rusher, 2nd to Ferrell.

If the Rams want to replace Quinn, I'd go with either of the Clemson DEs. If we're replacing Barwin, it's Hubbard, no question.

Based on value, I'd have to rank them:

1) Josh Jackson. We saw the kind of change Lattimore provided to that D and Jackson could really be that guy.
2) Vea. I like him much more than Payne. Payne can be devastating, but he can also get washed out, which is the last thing you want from an NT. I think a team will take Payne for their 1T DT as opposed to an NT that can go either 1 or 2 gap.
3) Ferrell. It's close, but this guy reminds me of Quinn in his prime, but stronger and maybe a slight shade slower. Dude's a beast.
4) Hubbard. Knowing we'd have an OLB that's not only a great pass rusher, but can also legit cover? His film REALLY jumped out at me.
5) Bryant. It's just hard not to want one of these guys opposite Quinn (I think Quinn stays).
6) Payne. Again, I really like him, but as soon as I started watching all the snaps from games, I was deflated. He gets washed out. I didn't see that with Vea, Settle or even Gilmore.

So, I think since Jackson will be gone, we are best served going OLB.

But if he's there? oh yeah.

The Ramowl

Starter
If I was a college football player right now, I think I would be praying everyday until the draft to be selected by the Rams. You get to live in South Cal, get coached by McVay who is definitely amazing as a coach, as a leader and as a person, lots of great talent on the team already, a great mentality, and definitely potential for the team being a serious contender in the years to come.

It's as good as it gets.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...ms-team-needs-draft-picks-prospects-to-watch/

2018 NFL Draft: Los Angeles Rams team needs, draft picks, prospects to watch
With their 2017 season over, it's time for Rams fans to turn their attention to the draft
  • By R.J. White
  • & Chris Trapasso
  • Jan 7, 2018 • 2 min read

• The Rams' first season under Sean McVay was an undisputed success, as the team was able to surprisingly win the NFC West going away, breaking the two-team domination of the Seahawks and Cardinals in the division. After what the offense showed, you can expect the Rams to show up as a sleeper Super Bowl pick in countless features this offseason. What do they need to accomplish this offseason to get there? Let's dive in.

• 2018 draft picks
    • Round 1: L.A. Rams
    • Round 2: None
    • Round 3: L.A. Rams
    • Round 4: L.A. Rams
    • Round 5: L.A. Rams
    • Round 6: L.A. Rams, Buffalo, Detroit
    • Round 7: Baltimore*
    The Rams surrendered their second-round pick in order to grab Sammy Watkins from the Bills, but they also added an extra sixth-round pick in that deal. They picked up a third pick in the sixth round by sending former No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson to the Lions. They traded their own seventh-rounder to the Redskins for Derek Carrierbefore the season but previously made a conditional trade for Baltimore's seventh-rounder.

Biggest offseason needs
    • Interior offensive linemen
    • Outside linebacker
    • Cornerback
    • Strong safety
    Sammy Watkins is set to reach free agency, so the Rams could be looking to add to their receiver group if he isn't re-signed. But they'll have six other receivers already under contract, so even if they stand pat, they'll be pretty well off at the position. On the offensive line, Jamon Brown has been the sole weakness at right guard, and center John Sullivan is a free agent. They'll need to add at least one, maybe two players to the mix.

On defense, outside linebacker Connor Barwin is a free agent, and more outside pass-rushing help should be the focus as the Rams are elite up the middle. With Trumaine Johnson finally nearing a big free-agent deal after two years of being franchise tagged and with LaMarcus Joyner and Nickell Robey-Coleman also reaching free agency, the Rams have a lot of work to do in the secondary. Re-signing at least one impending FA should be priority No. 2, with the top priority going to getting Aaron Donald under contract long-term.
    Prospects to watch
    Braden Smith, OG, Auburn

Smith is a tall, mobile and powerful interior linemen who's been a key cog in Auburn's diverse running game during the Gus Malzahn era. The Rams could use an experienced blocker like Smith to keep Todd Gurley's career on the upswing.

Arden Key, DE/OLB, LSU

Once believed to be a No. 1 overall pick candidate, the intimidating specimen battled injury and conditioning issues in his last year at LSU. When he's healthy, Key is capable of Myles Garrett-type flashes of elite explosion, bend, and hand use at the pass-rushing apex. He'll be a risky selection but could ultimately become the steal of the draft.
    Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama
    The Crimson Tide breeds hard-hitting, versatile safety prospects, and Harrison is the next to enter the NFL. He's more Mark Barron than he is Landon Collins, yet whichever team picks him knows they'd be getting a well-coached defensive back capable of playing all over the field.

Holton Hill, CB, Texas

Hill has some off-field issues, as he was kicked off the Texas team midway through his final season in Austin. On the field, he's an enormous cornerback prospect with plus ball skills that really started to show in 2017. The 6-foot-3 Hill had 51 tackles, two picks, and six pass breakups in nine games.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
DLine/LBer/OLine/CB
This^ sounds right to me, maybe add a TE. The order will probably be determined by BPA at the time of the pick! I'm sure McSnead will be ....

-wheeling-AND DEALING.jpg

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Biggest offseason needs
  • Interior offensive linemen
  • Outside linebacker
  • Cornerback
  • Strong safety

Sorry CBS don't see that at all. Resign Joyner and keep Johnson at SS and we're set, probably don't even need to prioritize a pick there as a backup with our current depth. And personally I'd have IOL as depth only.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the best value for the pick is gonna be OLB

I think Payne and Vea are gone by then and no other NT is remotely close in value.

I LOVE Josh Jackson CB Iowa, but with the hype he's getting and his film, he's gonna be the top CB taken. Beneath him are a bunch of guys who are about equal which will drive down their stock. I expect a run on CBs in the second/third rounds.

The nice thing is that there are three exceptional 3-4 OLB candidates and I'm almost certain we can get one to replace Barwin.

1) Clelin Ferrell. Clemson. Probably the best pure pass rusher of the 3, he's likely gone in the top 15.
2) Sam Hubbard. Ohio State. Best coverage OLB of the three with solid pass rush skills. If they want to keep Quinn, Hubbard is the guy you want on the other side.
3) Austin Bryant. Clemson. Another really skilled pass rusher, 2nd to Ferrell.

If the Rams want to replace Quinn, I'd go with either of the Clemson DEs. If we're replacing Barwin, it's Hubbard, no question.

Based on value, I'd have to rank them:

1) Josh Jackson. We saw the kind of change Lattimore provided to that D and Jackson could really be that guy.
2) Vea. I like him much more than Payne. Payne can be devastating, but he can also get washed out, which is the last thing you want from an NT. I think a team will take Payne for their 1T DT as opposed to an NT that can go either 1 or 2 gap.
3) Ferrell. It's close, but this guy reminds me of Quinn in his prime, but stronger and maybe a slight shade slower. Dude's a beast.
4) Hubbard. Knowing we'd have an OLB that's not only a great pass rusher, but can also legit cover? His film REALLY jumped out at me.
5) Bryant. It's just hard not to want one of these guys opposite Quinn (I think Quinn stays).
6) Payne. Again, I really like him, but as soon as I started watching all the snaps from games, I was deflated. He gets washed out. I didn't see that with Vea, Settle or even Gilmore.

So, I think since Jackson will be gone, we are best served going OLB.

But if he's there? oh yeah.

I think OLB will be highly graded at 23 too. It will remain good even if they slide down as well.

That said there are some other options at CB who will factor in. Gotta wait for the workouts and bowl games with practice matchups and all, but there are definitely some great options. I like Hughes, for example, a LOT in late round 1 on, but so much of where these guys slot is still up in the air. Slow 40 time and these projected late round one guys suddenly become round 3-6 types. CB is just crazy that way, but either way for Wade the focus will be guys with ball skills, the natural cover types.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sorry CBS don't see that at all. Resign Joyner and keep Johnson at SS and we're set, probably don't even need to prioritize a pick there as a backup with our current depth. And personally I'd have IOL as depth only.
Yep. They lost cred with that. That may be our lowest priority next to long snapper.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That CBS piece is off. Sign Sullivan, with Boy the as the backup they are set for another year

And why are they talking about these players with character concerns. Didn't McVay make it a point to clean the the team up by getting rid of all of the Big ego, me me types?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That CBS piece is off. Sign Sullivan, with Boy the as the backup they are set for another year

And why are they talking about these players with character concerns. Didn't McVay make it a point to clean the the team up by getting rid of all of the Big ego, me me types?
I am always looking for OL improvement first in most matters with my team but I see no reason to utilize our only 2 first or second day draft selections on a center or a OG. OL'ers take LONG TIME to produce into good effective players... Rams have numerous options @ center ...

#1- Sign John Sullivan back it will not be a big purchase. Sully is a McVay guy & has been given an opportunity to play back in the NFL & start from McVay. JS has a back issue why depart from a sunny warm environment for 8 home games & 2 others in AZ & San Fran for possible colder bad for bad back regions?

#2- Austin Blythe will enter his 3rd Training Camp & season in 2018. His has been fully healthy for for all the Cots gms in 2016 & started 1 gm. & all the 17 gms for the Rams & started for us. He has shown he is a smart technical effective OL'er @ center & LG. He even started & played RT for the Colts who dratted him. Austin is signed & under contract until Free Agency: 2020 (UFA). He is a super great bargain priced OL'er who cost hardly nothing to play here.

#3- Aaron Nearly has been signed by 3 NFL teams. He is under Ram contract & will not enter Free Agency until 2019 (ERFA) He was a UDFA. Nearly will be entering his 3rd season & it will be his 3rd TC too. He spent the entire 2017 season with Kromer first as a Practice Squad player then signed to the 53 player roster & started a gm @ OC. Like Blythe he brings added value due to his low econo priced contract. He also has many starts @ LG in college @ Eastern Washington, just like Blythe he is versatile.

#4- Jake Eldrenkamp was a 2017 Undrafted Free Agent from of Washington. Same as Nearly Jake is signed & under contract all the way thru 2019 season. He is also a bargain priced reserve who played OG/ORT but saw a ton of action in pre season @ LG /OC. This will be Jake's 2nd TC & season for the Rams. Kromer seem to really like this kid attitude.

If the Rams do not sign Sullivan there are many UFA interior OL'ers who could be signed like Spencer Long who was his starting center when McVay was his OC. Signing a OL'er like Long provides a young experienced OL'er for the future issues with UFA of Brown & Saffold after 2018 season concludes.

Finally if there is a need in this OL it not @ the interior its at the exterior. So by now you know I have issues with the writers article by R.J White & Chris Trapasso.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am always looking for OL improvement first in most matters with my team but I see no reason to utilize our only 2 first or second day draft selections on a center or a OG. OL'ers take LONG TIME to produce into good effective players... Rams have numerous options @ center ...

Yeah generally it seems like one or two "special" interior OL will go round one in a typical draft, but by the time the 20s roll around those types are often gone. With OL it seems like the late first round into the second round is the RT zone, to include the guys teams aren't sure have good enough feet for the left side. I mean you see OGs go in that range, but value-wise and in general (and going off memory admittedly too here lol) it's the second tier OT group that mostly falls there.

If one of those special interior OL types slide to us, and he's clearly the best guy on the board, suck it up and take him. It's not ideal but I do think getting the best player is critical.

I just hope that doesn't happen. I'm with you in wanting an impact player at a need position and it looks like our top three defensive needs align beautifully with the draft strengths not only at 23 but also wrt our next two picks. It sucks not to have that round two pick, but either way they could easily go OLB>CB>NT or some other combination I am sure without needing to reach.

My one concern is that McVay as a young coach might keep going back to "his" side of the ball. I have a feeling that he's wiser than that, but I still do wonder whether he's looking at some positions like the OL and raising the priority in-house.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah generally it seems like one or two "special" interior OL will go round one in a typical draft, but by the time the 20s roll around those types are often gone. With OL it seems like the late first round into the second round is the RT zone, to include the guys teams aren't sure have good enough feet for the left side. I mean you see OGs go in that range, but value-wise and in general (and going off memory admittedly too here lol) it's the second tier OT group that mostly falls there.

If one of those special interior OL types slide to us, and he's clearly the best guy on the board, suck it up and take him. It's not ideal but I do think getting the best player is critical.

I just hope that doesn't happen. I'm with you in wanting an impact player at a need position and it looks like our top three defensive needs align beautifully with the draft strengths not only at 23 but also wrt our next two picks. It sucks not to have that round two pick, but either way they could easily go OLB>CB>NT or some other combination I am sure without needing to reach.

My one concern is that McVay as a young coach might keep going back to "his" side of the ball. I have a feeling that he's wiser than that, but I still do wonder whether he's looking at some positions like the OL and raising the priority in-house.
You know by how I think ,Merlin I love the lines to be the strongest units on our team D & O's. The OL has finally held it's own in 2017 & I am so happy :yay:I still want to see it continue to improve. I have no issues with any of our current starters & would desire to keep them together if possible. The only immediate known problem is starting Center John Sullivan & I just do not see that it will be hard to resign him back for 2 to 3 yrs contract that would take him to the retirement age for a center. JS will be 33 yrs old when he shows up for TC if he resigns with the Rams Rams appear to have the interior reserves in fair condition.

Like you pointed out its the OT positions that might cause Snead to pull the trigger on a good talented OT IF one were to fall..highly unlikely though. The Draft looks like it has only 4 first round valued OT's in it...a little weak compared to the high demand that the NFL teams will make on it. Rams right now do not have a decent back up reserve behind Havenstien & that's a problem. WWC Cornelius Lucas is not under contract. This bares watching Merlin.

The flip side it the advanced age of starting LT Whitworth who will be 38 before the season ends making him the oldest starting LT in the NFL.:cautious::notsure:. I yet to get a good read on Kromer yet so I will just have to watch him & where he goes from here.

On the lost of that 2nd round pick...for Sammy was a gamble appears most members think that it was a solid good move & puts us in the driver seat to capture the #1 type WR...It would be if Sammy was a #1 type of WR which he is not. The beating of the drum that since we invested the 2nd pick in him we would loose keep moving in this direction so it will worth it:huh::palm:. I am so out of touch with this way of thinking ....lets now add big chunks & heaps of limited cap funds investment into Sammy makes that 2nd draft choice selection it all good........:hellno:.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj4nJ1YEAp4

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On the lost of that 2nd round pick...for Sammy was a gamble appears most members think that it was a solid good move & puts us in the driver seat to capture the #1 type WR...It would be if Sammy was a #1 type of WR which he is not. The beating of the drum that since we invested the 2nd pick in him we would loose keep moving in this direction so it will worth it:huh::palm:. I am so out of touch with this way of thinking ....lets now add big chunks & heaps of limited cap funds investment into Sammy makes that 2nd draft choice selection it all good........:hellno:.

The thing with Sammy though is that he got open a lot, just a lot of games where the read progression didn't get to him but he beat his guy. That plus his decoy contribution with opposition CBs and safety support, his blocking ability, and the expectation for Jared to get better tells me it's the right call to find a way to keep him around for at least one more season.

He's never been in a good offense with a top QB throwing him the ball but still his rookie season he had damn near 1k yards in 16 games, year two he had 1k in 13 games, third year missed half the season with injury. First year with us his yardage sucked, but I think there is enormous potential to be had with him growing through camp and hopefully on his own time in the offseason with Jared.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The thing with Sammy though is that he got open a lot, just a lot of games where the read progression didn't get to him but he beat his guy. That plus his decoy contribution with opposition CBs and safety support, his blocking ability, and the expectation for Jared to get better tells me it's the right call to find a way to keep him around for at least one more season.

He's never been in a good offense with a top QB throwing him the ball but still his rookie season he had damn near 1k yards in 16 games, year two he had 1k in 13 games, third year missed half the season with injury. First year with us his yardage sucked, but I think there is enormous potential to be had with him growing through camp and hopefully on his own time in the offseason with Jared.

I would not disagree with you here Merlin. I would say that Goff's long ball accuracy being not up to par with most would enter the picture with me too. I also consider the OL issue if we do have some injuries something we did not have......I would think that a big Sammy investment just could not be maximized as most here all believe. I am still strong in the NO vote on Sammy getting a mega $$ long term contract. I even prefer signing the 28 yr old Corner Trumaine over Sammy.

Last edited: