Rams Statistical Rankings after 2 Weeks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah it's kind of ridiculous to put this stuff up this early due to sample size. But what the hell:

OFFENSE
Scoring: 28.5ppg (7th)
Third Down Conversion Rate: 46.67% (9th)
Rushing 1st Downs: 8.0pg (7th)
Yards Per Completion: 10.7 (13th)
QB Sacked Percentage: 5.63% (15th)

DEFENSE
Scoring: 18ppg (T-9th)
Third Down Conversion Rate: 37.50% (13th)
Rushing 1st Downs: 5.0 (T-6th)
Opponent Team Passer Rating: 67.3 (3rd)
Sack Percentage: 6.41% (15th)

READING BETWEEN THE LINES
1. While the Rams are not as explosive so far as they were last season, they are also far more balanced with a defense that looks poised to finish among the better units in the league.
2. Offensively the protections need to improve in the passing game and IMO they are a factor in the yards per completion. Last game the rush problems were primarily the edges, and this next game vs the Browns bring a very strong LT challenge.
3. Re: the Rams' run game I am a huge fan of rushing success rate (derived from what are deemed successful runs, i.e. more than 4 yards on first down, getting a first down, etc. and thus a very nice way to evaluate RBs). From that perspective Todd Gurley is ranked 4th in the league with a 71% Success Rate.
4. Our sack percentage numbers are skewed by teams pushing to get the ball out quickly. Basically the Rams rush IMO is easily a top ten unit, but I don't have a good source for pressure numbers that I am certain will back that up.
5. The quality of our secondary shows in the opponent team passer rating. Knocking out Brees helps, and it skews the numbers in what is already a small sample size. But I think the numbers are indicative of something going on with our unit, i.e. the quality of those 3 safeties on top of good CB play.
6. Overall I am fully expecting our defense to finish top 5 in scoring. This was a preseason expectation that I see no reason to change as of right now.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I agree with what you said, but we don't play a top QB until October (1 quarter plus of Beers doesn't count). I want to see how we play against a Russell Wilson to make the determination of a top ten D.

Ellard80

Legend
Too early to really know... last season we played the first half like we were the 2007 patriots offense.. 2nd half not so much.

Lets play the 2nd half like we did the first half of last season.

Ram65

Legend
Nice job @Merlin

It is early. I'm wondering if Goff is having problems reading defenses especially early in the games or if the WRs are not getting open or combination of both. The offensive line isn't opening holes early.

The defense has shown lots of energy swarming to the ball. Mathews and Weddle are adding a physical presence. Brockers looks more active. Playing against a battered Cam Newton and replacement Teddy Bridgewater has not been difficult challanges for the defense. They do seem to be more in sync and ready to go on most plays.

We need some more games to see where the Rams are at.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Great write up Merlin. I see a need for you to post updated figures each week. This will allow us enthusiast to analyze the journey back to the Super Bowl.

TexasRam

Legend
I think people are not recognizing the huge dropoff in pass protection. Allen, Boom Blythe and now Demby are a trainwreck from what my film review shows. Goff is doing some magician work back there similar to the NFC championship game. Moving around avoiding free running lineman and finding the open guy for whatever gain possible. Reminds me of his Cal years.

I see our offense as having a dropoff this year unless our interior grows up overnight or some vets are added. We are probably looking at a top 12 offense at best this year.

Our defense on the other hand is improved.

Our 6 DB package of Talib, Peters, Weddle, JJ, NRC and Rapp are dangerous. With this many quick instinctual DB's its really hard for and offense to sustain a passing game vs us.

The Run game has looked better than last year mainly due to our safety's and Matthews IMO.

And Donald is just getting started so our Defense may be even better than we see now.

KayJay

Starter
I think people are not recognizing the huge dropoff in pass protection. Allen, Boom Blythe and now Demby are a trainwreck from what my film review shows. Goff is doing some magician work back there similar to the NFC championship game. Moving around avoiding free running lineman and finding the open guy for whatever gain possible. Reminds me of his Cal years.

I see our offense as having a dropoff this year unless our interior grows up overnight or some vets are added. We are probably looking at a top 12 offense at best this year.

Our 6 DB package of Talib, Peters, Weddle, JJ, NRC and Rapp are dangerous. With this many quick instinctual DB's its really hard for and offense to sustain a passing game vs us.

The Run game has looked better than last year mainly due to our safety's and Matthews IMO.

And Donald is just getting started so our Defense may be even better than we see now.
Glad someone noticed that about Goff. Dude dealt with pressure constantly and during the second half found a way to get things done. He may hold on to the ball for too long at times, but the man had some amazing throws last Sunday.

I think he's trying to take that next step being more cerebral with the game. Reading defenses and over analyzing. While it may be frustrating to watch, it also shows he's trying to see what he couldn't before. I think he's finally going to start shredding defenses that pressure him. Depend on an enemy's weakness and suddenly it becomes their strength.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams Pro Football Focus tidbits heading into Week 3

https://www.therams.com/news/rams-pro-football-focus-tidbits-heading-into-week-3

Pro Football Focus (PFF) has a team of more than 300 staffers evaluating every NFL play from the Hall of Fame game to the Super Bowl. After each game, players, as well as each team's offensive, defensive and special teams units, are graded on a scale of 0 to 100; the closer a player or unit is to 100, the better. A full explanation of their evaluation process can be found here for additional context.

Here's a look at some of the noteworthy Rams-centric assessments based on PFF's evaluations through the first two weeks of the season.

GOFF IS SHARP OVER THE MIDDLE, PERFORMING BETTER AGAINST BLITZES
PFF breaks up its passing direction charts in three parts: Outside Left, Between Numbers and Outside Right. Between Numbers, or the middle of the field, is where Rams QB Jared Goff has had the most success.

According to PFF, Goff has completed 25 of 34 passes between the numbers, good for a completion percentage of 73.5. He was 13 of 17 in the same category against the Saints.
Goff also fared better against the blitz in Week 2 with a passing grade of 82.7 in that category compared to 57.7 in Week 1. He was 6 for 6 and gained 120 of his 283 passing yards when New Orleans blitzed last Sunday.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

I think it was Merlin that posted a great breakdown of how our oline looked sunday. Believe it or not it was our tackles that had the hardest time. Our interior held their own. Take a look at the article and see for yourself.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think it was Merlin that posted a great breakdown of how our oline looked sunday. Believe it or not it was our tackles that had the hardest time. Our interior held their own. Take a look at the article and see for yourself.
Yes Merlin's Magic is still effective(y)

Interesting that our 2019 stop gap starting OG's ( Blythe/ Demby & Noteboom) are getting some positive attention here in ROD over our very high paid OT's (AW $16.7 mil & RH $8.3 mil.).

AW show'd signs of being worn down & tired after 19 NFL gms last season. He was going up against a 2nd yr first round pick Davenport who is still learning the NFL. Now RH had a total different opponent kicking his butt in the pass rush all day last Sunday dancing with Cam Jordan who is an All Pro & was rated last yr as the 41st best player in the NFL.

Cam Jordan is a 4 time pro bowler, 1-time First-team All-Pro & 1-time Second-team All-Pro. He is an absolute beast with a non-stop energy & is the cornerstone of the Saints defense. So maybe I'll give Rob some slack on last Sunday's perfromance.