Rams Sign former FSU CB Greg Reid

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
championship :cheers:
The crickets have stopped chirping for a day.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
“It's been hell,” Reid told the Orlando Sentinel recently about his past year. Since July, he has been arrested, kicked out of school and tore his ACL.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...air-florida-state-fsu-20130501,0,7493862.post

Once a cornerback and defensive star on the Florida State football team, it was hard not to notice him. But Reid is now two-and-a-half years removed from his last college football game. A dismissal from Florida State in August 2012 and two ACL surgeries later, Reid was back in Tallahassee last week working out for pro scouts.

Reid ran, cut and jumped. He looked much like the old Greg Reid.

"I'm blessed to be here," Reid said. "And I'm blessed to feel the way I feel."

The dozens of NFL coaches and front office personnel that were at the Seminoles' pro day were there to see potential first-rounders like receiver Kelvin Benjamin and defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan. And All-Americans like cornerback Lamarcus Joyner and center Bryan Stork.

It would be easy to miss Reid. He's just looking for a chance, whether he'€™s drafted or offered a free-agent contract.

"All I need is one shot," Reid said. "That's all I need."
Reid is just 5-foot-8 but he had a big game, a fast corner who could cover one-on-one and was a vicious hitter. A Scout.com four-star prospect from Valdosta, Ga., Reid signed with Florida State in February 2009 after also taking visits to Florida,Alabama and Georgia.

He had 23 tackles as a true freshman that fall but was electric on special teams. Reid led the Football Bowl Subdivision in punt returns with an 18.4-yard average. He had a 68-yard punt return for a touchdown in a win at Wake Forest and, the following week, had a 48-yard return in the final minutes to help the Seminoles rally to beatMaryland at home.

Reid started 23 games the next two years. He continued to make plays, recording 97 tackles. But he also made game-changing plays. Reid was a one-man wrecking
crew in the 2010 Chick-fil-A Bowl, knocking the ball loose from South Carolina star Marcus Lattimore -- one of two fumbles he forced on a night in which he also had five tackles and broke up four passes in leading the Seminoles to victory.

His junior season saw Reid have a pair of interceptions at Florida and a punt return for a touchdown at Miami.

Reid was poised for a strong senior season in 2012 but off-field issues caught up to him. He had missed a September 2011 game against Charleston Southern as a result of a violation of team rules. And he was arrested in July 2012 for possession of marijuana and driving with a suspended license. A few weeks later, Reid was dismissed from the team.

There's plenty of regret for Reid. He knows what could have been. But he thinks he's learned from his mistakes.

"I believe I'm a better man than I was two or three years ago," Reid said.

He went back home and enrolled at Valdosta State for the 2012 season, but just days into preseason camp tore the ACL in his knee. He went through the rehabilitation but, during pre-draft workouts in March 2013, doctors informed Reid that his ACL was torn again. He was stunned by the news.

Disappointed, Reid went through another knee surgery and another rehab. But now, just in time for the 2014 draft, Reid is back. Last week, he took part in pro day along with his old teammates, including defensive backs like Joyner and Terrence Brooks.

"He was a person I looked up to when I first came in," Brooks said. "Kind of wanted to model my game like him and the things he did. He still has it, too. I hope somebody takes a chance on him because they are going to get a good guy."

Reid is definitely a longshot. At 5-8 and 178 pounds, he's far from the prototype size for an NFL corner. The best-case scenario for Reid is to land a spot on an NFL team that would use him as a nickel corner and returner.

"I hope Greg gets a shot," Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher said. "That's as instinctive and one of the best football players I've ever been around. I think if somebody gets him in camp, they're going to be very happy."

Just getting to camp is all Reid wants. A chance to show what he can do.
http://msn.foxsports.com/florida/st...d-looking-for-that-one-shot-to-the-nfl-032314

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Major character issues? Former FSU star? Low risk high reward? Hard hitter? Big CB? Perfect Jeff Fisher guy! Hope we signed him for a 3 year contract, at least. :D

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Former FSU defensive star Greg Reid looking for that 'one shot' to the NFL
Bob Ferrante
FOX Sports Florida

MAR 23, 2014 10:50a ET

032314-FSF-CFB-Greg-Reid-Florida-State-PI.vadapt.955.medium.94.jpg

Kim Klement / USA TODAY Sports
Despite two surgeries on his knee, Greg Reid hopes to get a chance to showcase his skills.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Greg Reid is hoping someone notices him.

Once a cornerback and defensive star on the Florida State football team, it was hard not to notice him. But Reid is now two-and-a-half years removed from his last college football game. A dismissal from Florida State in August 2012 and two ACL surgeries later, Reid was back in Tallahassee last week working out for pro scouts.

Reid ran, cut and jumped. He looked much like the old Greg Reid.

"I'm blessed to be here," Reid said. "And I'm blessed to feel the way I feel."

The dozens of NFL coaches and front office personnel that were at the Seminoles' pro day were there to see potential first-rounders like receiver Kelvin Benjamin and defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan. And All-Americans like cornerback Lamarcus Joyner and center Bryan Stork.

It would be easy to miss Reid. He's just looking for a chance, whether he'€™s drafted or offered a free-agent contract.

"All I need is one shot," Reid said. "That's all I need."

Reid is just 5-foot-8 but he had a big game, a fast corner who could cover one-on-one and was a vicious hitter. A Scout.com four-star prospect from Valdosta, Ga., Reid signed with Florida State in February 2009 after also taking visits to Florida, Alabama and Georgia.

He had 23 tackles as a true freshman that fall but was electric on special teams. Reid led the Football Bowl Subdivision in punt returns with an 18.4-yard average. He had a 68-yard punt return for a touchdown in a win at Wake Forest and, the following week, had a 48-yard return in the final minutes to help the Seminoles rally to beat Maryland at home.

Reid started 23 games the next two years. He continued to make plays, recording 97 tackles. But he also made game-changing plays. Reid was a one-man wrecking crew in the 2010 Chick-fil-A Bowl, knocking the ball loose from South Carolina star Marcus Lattimore -- one of two fumbles he forced on a night in which he also had five tackles and broke up four passes in leading the Seminoles to victory.

His junior season saw Reid have a pair of interceptions at Florida and a punt return for a touchdown at Miami.

Reid was poised for a strong senior season in 2012 but off-field issues caught up to him. He had missed a September 2011 game against Charleston Southern as a result of a violation of team rules. And he was arrested in July 2012 for possession of marijuana and driving with a suspended license. A few weeks later, Reid was dismissed from the team.

There's plenty of regret for Reid. He knows what could have been. But he thinks he's learned from his mistakes.

"I believe I'm a better man than I was two or three years ago," Reid said.

He went back home and enrolled at Valdosta State for the 2012 season, but just days into preseason camp tore the ACL in his knee. He went through the rehabilitation but, during pre-draft workouts in March 2013, doctors informed Reid that his ACL was torn again. He was stunned by the news.

Disappointed, Reid went through another knee surgery and another rehab. But now, just in time for the 2014 draft, Reid is back. Last week, he took part in pro day along with his old teammates, including defensive backs like Joyner and Terrence Brooks.

"He was a person I looked up to when I first came in," Brooks said. "Kind of wanted to model my game like him and the things he did. He still has it, too. I hope somebody takes a chance on him because they are going to get a good guy."

Reid is definitely a longshot. At 5-8 and 178 pounds, he's far from the prototype size for an NFL corner. The best-case scenario for Reid is to land a spot on an NFL team that would use him as a nickel corner and returner.

"I hope Greg gets a shot," Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher said. "That's as instinctive and one of the best football players I've ever been around. I think if somebody gets him in camp, they're going to be very happy."

Just getting to camp is all Reid wants. A chance to show what he can do.

http://msn.foxsports.com/florida/st...d-looking-for-that-one-shot-to-the-nfl-032314

Last edited by a moderator:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
He led college football in yards per punt return in 2009, and was named defensive MVP in the 2010 Chick-fil-A Bowl.

Height: 5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)Weight: 188 lb (85 kg) Link

He will be 24 by the time the season starts.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Greg Reid (born September 8, 1990) is a collegiate footballllcornerback and punt returner who last played for the Florida State Seminoles. He led college football in yards per punt return in 2009, and was named defensive MVP in the 2010 Chick-fil-A Bowl.
Greg Reid's father served a six-year sentence for drug trafficking, according to the St. Petersburg Times and Orlando Sentinel. Reid's father received consideration for a release to see his son play against Brigham Young on September 17, 2010 for the first time. "It's going to mean the world to me," Reid said. Reid's father was released in December 2010, just prior to the 2010 Chick-fil-A Bowl in which he was named defensive MVP.
Due to a lack of depth at the cornerback position, Reid played all thirteen games of the 2009 season, intercepting two passes, and leading the NCAA in punt return average".[7]

On August 1st, 2012, Reid was dismissed from the Florida State Seminoles on account of violating team rules. He later transferred to Valdosta State University, which is located in the same city as his high school.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Reid

And he was arrested in July 2012 for possession of marijuana and driving with a suspended license. A few weeks later, Reid was dismissed from the team.

So what did he do between the arrest and being thrown off the team that caused him to be thrown off the team? :confused:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
So what did he do between the arrest and being thrown off the team that caused him to be thrown off the team? :confused:

Every link I read gave the same reason, "violation of team rules."

Although the university declined to provide further details, Reid's dismissal apparently is the culmination of a handful of missteps, with the latest being his July arrest on charges of marijuana possession and driving with a suspended license. LINK

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
he looks like joyner on tap. we might convert him to FS like AZ DID MATHIEU

Maaan, IDK about that. I'm itching to see what Cody Davis can do at FS. He's super athletic and was red shirted last year. I'm not big on drafting a safety at all anymore. What we need is a nickel CB and Reid can compete for that spot.

Maaan, IDK about that. I'm itching to see what Cody Davis can do at FS. He's super athletic and was red shirted last year. I'm not big on drafting a safety at all anymore. What we need is a nickel CB and Reid can compete for that spot.

I don't get what people see in Davis, is it just the athleticism or is there something on tape that makes you think he could be a starter? And if so why did he go undrafted?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I don't get what people see in Davis, is it just the athleticism or is there something on tape that makes you think he could be a starter? And if so why did he go undrafted?

He's one of those guys that has all the tools. He's not considered a ball hawk, but he has the tools to be as good as he wants. Stewart leaving gives him opportunity. Plus if we don't draft a S we can focus on another position.