Rams sign DT Dominique Easley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Age 24. 6'2" 285 lbs. Drafted in first round in 2014. Has been on injured reserve twice.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Apparently bad locker room guy from what I remember reading after the cheatriots let him go. Loved his talent when healthy, but that wasn't often.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I feel as if the Rams were reported to have interest in him a short while ago? I guess this is now materializing.

I don't know much about him beyond these facts: (1) he has been in the league two seasons and has spent both of them on IR; and (2) he was New England's 1st round draft pick in 2014.

You can never have enough depth on the defensive line, and 1st round picks aren't usually available as free agents only 2 years after being drafted.

If the Rams work him out, it looks like he fits our system, and the doctors have no concerns I'd definitely be behind signing him. I trust this regime's judgement and talent evaluation on the defensive side of the ball both in terms absolute terms, in terms of reclamation projects (Barron), and in terms of players with alleged character issues (Jenkins, Ogletree).

RamzFanz

Damnit
Worth a look, for sure.

Edit: Might be a headcase though. See below.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If he signs with us, there's your defensive tackle depth. He has a horrible attitude, apparently, but I trust Fisher with it.

RamzFanz

Damnit
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...ique-easley/VxfcDYPp0ieEh0mDVBRp5H/story.html

Defensive tackle Dominique Easley will likely be remembered as one of the Patriots’ biggest draft busts of the Bill Belichick era. On Wednesday, the Patriots released Easley, their first-round draft pick in 2014 (29th overall), and he leaves New England with just three career sacks and 25 tackles in two seasons.

But Easley is not a total bust from a football sense, as he was starting to blossom as an interior pass rusher in 2015. Though he only had two sacks in 11 games last season, Easley was the most productive interior pass rusher in the NFL, according to Pro Football Focus.

So the Patriots’ decision to release Easley set off alarms that the move was about more than just football.

Then add in the financial component. Easley’s salary this fall — about $1.08 million — is fully guaranteed. Releasing Easley on Wednesday increased his 2016 salary cap number from $1.991 million to $2.899 million.

The Patriots are essentially paying Easley to go away. They have depth at defensive tackle with Alan Branch, Malcom Brown, and Terrance Knighton, but not so much that they couldn’t use Easley, too.

The question, then, is why did the Patriots cut bait with their former first-round pick?

The move could simply be a reflection of Easley’s health. He tore both of his ACLs in college, and has finished each of his two NFL seasons on injured reserve — for a knee injury in 2014 and a torn quadriceps in 2015. Two league sources said independently on Wednesday that Easley is “a 25-year-old in a 40-year-old’s body.” Easley turned 24 in February.

But after speaking with several league sources with knowledge of the situation, it’s clear that Easley and the Patriots were never a good fit.

It is not known if there was a single incident that led to Easley’s release. But a portrait emerged Wednesday of a player who struggled with maturity and his responsibilities of being a professional athlete.

“Saw that coming,” one of Easley’s former Patriots teammates said upon hearing the news. “Injuries and locker room cancer.”

Easley’s relationship with the Patriots got off on the wrong foot when he arrived to their rookie minicamp shortly after the 2014 draft and couldn’t participate — not because of his knee injury, but because of injuries to his ankles, arms, and wrists sustained when bitten by his pet pitbull two weeks before the draft. The dog, which weighed more than 100 pounds, bit two other people plus an animal care worker and had to be euthanized in Palm Beach County, Fla.

Easley had not told any teams about these injuries prior to the draft, and the Patriots were not happy when they found out, as the injuries set him back in his ACL rehab. Easley was on the field for Week 1 of 2014 but didn’t get significant playing time until Week 3. He really only played in nine games his rookie year, and was placed on IR with three games left in the regular season.

Easley’s love of aggressive dogs has caused him other problems. One of his friends, Wiley Brown, filed a lawsuit against in Easley this past January seeking at least $15,000 after being attacked and bitten while staying at Easley’s house. The suit, filed in Palm Beach County, claims that Brown suffered permanent scarring, among other maladies. Easley is also bracing for the possibility of two other lawsuits being filed against him by other parties.

Easley came to the Patriots with a reputation of having an aloof personality, and he lived up to the billing. He already has fired two agents and three financial advisers in his two years in the NFL, and last week hired popular NFL agent Drew Rosenhaus as his third agent. When reached on Wednesday, Rosenhaus declined comment.

Multiple league sources said Easley was unreliable and immature.

“He’ll make an appointment for a massage and not show up,” one source said. “He’s just very disrespectful and irresponsible.”

“I think he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way,” another source said. “He comes across as an entitled kid. He reneges on everything. He thinks he’s invincible.”

When it came to football, Easley played by his own rules, which didn’t go over well with Belichick and staff. He routinely ignored requests to rehab his injuries with the Patriots’ trainers, and instead did it on his own. Most players rehabbed their recent injuries in the Patriots’ facilities, but when Easley was placed on IR in 2014 and 2015, he immediately left the team and did his own thing. This past offseason he traveled to Germany to seek alternative treatments for his knee.

The Patriots grew so fed up with Easley during his rookie year that they placed him on IR in December and told him to stay away and rehab on his own until the offseason program began in April. When the Patriots were raising the Lombardi Trophy in Arizona, Easley was partying in Las Vegas.

The Patriots “never liked him from the get-go, and part of the problem was he would never listen to the medical advice,” one source said.

And the feeling was mutual, with Easley privately telling people in 2014 that he wanted to be traded. An official request was never made.

On Wednesday, the Patriots did both sides a favor and cut bait with Easley. They originally signed him to a four-year, $7.3 million contract with $5.89 million fully guaranteed (his first three NFL seasons). It is unclear if the Patriots attempted to trade him this offseason, but it is surprising — and perhaps telling — that they did not get even a seventh-round pick for Easley.

Easley is due approximately $1.08 million this fall, and if Easley is claimed off waivers, then the new team assumes Easley’s salary and the Patriots don’t owe him anything.

But Easley’s contract does have offset language, so if Easley clears waivers and then signs for, say, $800,000 with another team, the Patriots only have to pay the difference.

Whether or not Easley is claimed, the Patriots still increased their salary cap hit by almost $1 million just to be rid of him.

It is unclear if there was a single incident that prompted his release. But it has become increasingly clear that the Patriots’ decision to release Easley was about a lot more than just his football abilities.

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
It won't cost anything to bring him in and take a look. I like the fact that Fisher/Snead are willing to have a look at players such as Easley.

Psycho_X

Legend
Sounds like someone I don't want on my football team. Immature and doesn't really care about anyone but himself plus I'd put money that he fights his dogs. They don't get THAT aggressive unless you're either training them to fight or just flat out abusing them. Either way, sounds like he's a piece of shit and I don't want him I don't care how talented he is.

Just my $0.02.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Sounds like someone I don't want on my football team. Immature and doesn't really care about anyone but himself plus I'd put money that he fights his dogs. They don't get THAT aggressive unless you're either training them to fight or just flat out abusing them. Either way, sounds like he's a piece of crap and I don't want him I don't care how talented he is.

Just my $0.02.

I agree, sounds like to much drama for mama.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Sounds like someone I don't want on my football team. Immature and doesn't really care about anyone but himself plus I'd put money that he fights his dogs. They don't get THAT aggressive unless you're either training them to fight or just flat out abusing them. Either way, sounds like he's a piece of crap and I don't want him I don't care how talented he is.

Just my $0.02.

I agree, sounds like to much drama for mama.

I tend to agree but Fisher usually gets the best out of these kinds of players. I'm curious to see how it goes as we need to replace Fairleys snaps and do it on the cheap.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
The Rams are sort of going raider..... I mean I'm glad it's not the 4 pillars, but how about at least 1 pillar?

I mean, I'd love for all these "off the field issue bad attitude" guys to get a second chance and come correct and prove they're pros' pros -- but the more guys like this you collect at any one time I think the chances are greater that at least one of them won't fall in line with Fisher's patronly approach and end up on TMZ

(Insert Titus Young photo here)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Dominique Easley has been released by the Patriots.

A first-round pick in 2014, the defensive tackle came to the league dogged by injury concerns and his first two seasons in the NFL ended on injured reserve.

The No. 29 overall pick out of the University of Florida, Easley only played three games in his final season with the Gators because of a torn right ACL. He tore his left ACL earlier in his college career.

Easley, 24, was having a productive 2015 season with the Patriots as a penetrating pass rusher before a quadriceps injury suffered against the Texans in Week 14 again landed him on injured reserve. The quad was a new wrinkle given that Easley's 2014 season was cut short by a knee injury.

It was a definite dice-roll by the Patriots when they selected Easley. There was near-unianimous agreement that he had top-10 talent were it not for the injuries, but the injuries are seemingly more of a pattern than isolated incidents.

Easley's release is the latest move that has altered the look of the Patriots defensive line this offseason. The team traded defensive end Chandler Jones to the Cardinals in exchange for a second-round pick and guard Jonathan Cooper back in March. The Patriots also lost defensive lineman Akiem Hicks to free agency when he signed with the Bears. Free-agent defensive end Chris Long and free-agent defensive tackle Terrance Knighton were added to the Patriots front this offseason.

Height: 6′ 2″
Weight: 284 lbs
School: University of Florida
Position: Defensive lineman, Defensive tackle, Defensive end

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I tend to agree but Fisher usually gets the best out of these kinds of players. I'm curious to see how it goes as we need to replace Fairleys snaps and do it on the cheap.

Plus he's a defensive tackle and the Rams need depth at that position.

Ram65

Legend
The Patsies organization seems to be more of a "closed minded mentality" that would not work well with a free minded personality. Who knows if the Rams can make it work but, it's worth looking into.

Psycho_X

Legend

Yeah I mean I'm all for giving second chances and while Fisher does take risks on character it's usually the types that just did something stupid that most of us have done in our younger days. He doesn't have a history of picking up locker room cancers and keeping them very long. So if he's comfortable with it I'd guess they did some serious research first and are fine with it. And if something comes up he doesn't like they'll cut him quickly like they did Titus. But out of all the things Easley's done, the multiple issues he has had with his dogs is an instant red flag for me at least.