Rams sign CB Shaun Jolly off Browns PS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well... (knock on wood).... the Big 5 (Stafford, Kupp, Donald, Wagner, Ramsey) are all healthy, so "falling apart" may be a bit strong.
Agreed, it sucks short term but overall we haven't lost anyone super important long term. Just an issue at the moment that all of our injuries have happened to two position groups (CB and Interior oline) so having to do some scrambling week to week. Hopefully we can get a bit of luck back the next several weeks and get most of our injured back on the field.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
No, we are being decimated by injuries on the o-line and secondary. Supplementing our stars with good role players is being challenged big time. We are going to be in for a rough ride for a bit and hopefully we can get some wins while our injured players recover.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Shaun Jolly is the 2021 NFL Draft’s best-kept secret. He was one of the nation’s true lockdown cornerbacks last year. Playing at Appalachian State, it’s understandable for people to be slow getting around to his tape, but I’m here to tell you that Jolly is a legitimate NFL prospect.

Featured | Farabaugh’s 4-round 2021 NFL Mock Draft

After just one year as a starter, I already feel confident saying that Jolly should be a second-day selection in the 2021 NFL Draft. He’s a Top-10 cornerback prospect, and a name you should absolutely know for the coming season. So who is Jolly, what does he excel at, and where can he improve before he takes the next step in his career?

[sv slug=mocksim]

Who is Shaun Jolly

Not a heavily recruited prospect, Jolly was a consensus two-star cornerback. He was superbly productive as a junior in high school, but this led to teams completely avoiding him in his senior season. He committed to App State and redshirted as a freshman though the talent was obvious as he “was often on the travel roster as a possible fourth cornerback.”

Related | 2021 NFL Draft: Preseason’s top CBs who deserve more attention

Jolly became a full-time starter in his sophomore year, and he dominated. Jolly registered 45 tackles, 3.5 for loss, five interceptions, two of which he returned for a touchdown, eight pass deflections, a forced fumble, and a fumble recovery. His dominance last year led to attention in the Sun Belt conference as he was named First Team All-Conference.

Scouting Report

Pros:

The first thing that stuck out to me on tape was Jolly’s natural explosiveness. The ability to close on breaking routes is important for an NFL cornerback, and that ability makes Jolly a threat to jump any route. He’s a strong athlete altogether possessing the requisite long speed to carry receivers deep. He’s fluid in his hips, making him a threat in man coverage and not easily shaken off, and his back-pedal is clean and concise. Jolly’s biggest calling card is likely his ball skills. Five interceptions and eight pass deflections in one year is an impressive feat for any level of football. Finally, he’s a very willing and able tackler. He doesn’t hit with much force, but he breaks down well and isn’t easily avoided.

Cons:

Listed at just 5’9 and 175 pounds, there’s a chance that Jolly might be too small for the NFL’s liking. The league may decide that he’s too small to be successful on the outside and confine him to the slot for the majority of his career. Playing at App State, people will also question Jolly’s level of competition. Jolly has yet to line up across from a receiver that I view as a Top-100 player in either the 2020 or 2021 class. This will be a knock on him throughout the draft process.

Shaun Jolly NFL Draft prediction

Jolly is the top non-FBS defender in the 2021 NFL Draft. He’s a strong athlete who was one of the most productive cornerbacks in the nation last year, regardless of competition level. In just one season starting, he showed flashes of elite cornerback play and will look to cement himself as one of the nation’s truly elite cornerbacks this season.

Despite lacking ideal size, I believe Jolly has the ability to play on the boundary in the NFL. However, if the NFL decides to relegate him to the slot for his career, I still believe he can thrive. Expect Jolly to have another shutdown this season, and if he does, to be selected as high as the top 50 in the 2021 NFL Draft.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2021-nfl-draft-shaun-jolly-is-the-group-of-5s-top-defensive-prospect/#:~:text=Jolly%20is%20the%20top%20non-FBS%20defender%20in%20the,of%20the%20nation’s%20truly%20elite%20cornerbacks%20this%20season.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Injuries to Hill and Long are not exactly losses. If anything, they allow the young studs to get some much needed playing time.

And yes, I think the younger guys are better than Hill or Long.

Blessings in disguise boys.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Injuries to Hill and Long are not exactly losses. If anything, they allow the young studs to get some much needed playing time.

cady heron idk GIF

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Kendall Blanton was brought back. If the Rams also sign Jolly to the 53, they will have to drop a player.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
His parents should have named him Roger.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I wonder if McVay may alter our TC/pre-season schedule after what could be interpreted as rustiness and injury occurrences that may be tangentially connected to our pre-season & TC approach.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Hill was playing well for us and is a loss but I agree our depth is a strength and we'll see that as Kendrick starts getting his looks. Kendrick is > Long. I know Long's a great kid and all, but he's a JAG as a corner. Kendrick lacks speed but he's got good instincts, can play the ball, and is physical. Outside of Ramsey we don't have a whole lot of corners with physicality so it's gonna be fun to see Kendrick get his looks.

This corner room really started out with great depth. There's some other teams out there who would be up shit creek losing two of their top corners. Rams actually might improve as their depth move into their roles. But that said we are going to need Durant. I think he's going to be an important piece for our secondary this year.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I wonder if McVay may alter our TC/pre-season schedule after what could be interpreted as rustiness and injury occurrences that may be tangentially connected to our pre-season & TC approach.
I don't know man. McVay has not played his starters in the pre-season since 2018; and, in those prior four years (2018-2021), the Rams' combined record in their first three games is 11 Wins and 1 Loss, which was also to the Buffalo Bills.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Hill was playing well for us and is a loss but I agree our depth is a strength and we'll see that as Kendrick starts getting his looks. Kendrick is > Long. I know Long's a great kid and all, but he's a JAG as a corner. Kendrick lacks speed but he's got good instincts, can play the ball, and is physical. Outside of Ramsey we don't have a whole lot of corners with physicality so it's gonna be fun to see Kendrick get his looks.

This corner room really started out with great depth. There's some other teams out there who would be up shit creek losing two of their top corners. Rams actually might improve as their depth move into their roles. But that said we are going to need Durant. I think he's going to be an important piece for our secondary this year.
I'm excited about Kendrick, but still worried about the overall loss of experience in the secondary at the moment. Long is a JAG.. but he's a JAG who knows where he's supposed to be and has been decent since the playoffs, imo.

Jolly's profile is similar to Darious Williams.. although he's even smaller and not as fast.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Decent isn't gonna help us defend our title. Rams are going to need to roll the dice on some positions and corner is one of them IMO.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Decent isn't gonna help us defend our title. Rams are going to need to roll the dice on some positions and corner is one of them IMO.
I hear you.
My biggest worry is that it's so early in his rookie season AND he hasn't even been on the field yet.
He looked very interesting in the preseason and seems to be much more physical than Long.
Separately... I really, REALLY hope we start to see something out of Rochell.