Rams showing interest in FAU RB Devin Singletary, met with him twice

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/13/nfl-draft-devin-singletary-running-back-prospect/
Rams showing interest in FAU RB Devin Singletary, met with him twice

The status of Todd Gurley’s knee remains a talking point in Los Angeles with the Rams running back reportedly battling arthritis. It’s a condition that shortens players’ careers and causes discomfort, often in surgically-repaired knees like Gurley’s.

The Rams have Malcolm Brown on the roster as his backup, but they might be looking to the draft as a way to add depth. According to NFL.com, the Rams went to Florida Atlantic University this week to meet with running back Devin Singletary.

Reps from the team went to Boca Raton, Fla., to visit Singletary. They put him through a film review and had him work the whiteboard, opting not to work Singletary out on the field like the Cardinals did the day before.

“I feel like the Cardinals and Rams thought highly of me — I was able to handle the film stuff and the board work without any hesitation,” Singletary said. “Now I just have to impress the Bears the same way.”

In addition to visiting Singletary at FAU, the Rams also met with him at the combine. They were one of 12 teams to talk to him, including the Browns who wanted to try him out as a receiver.

Singletary is undersized at just over 5-foot-7, 203 pounds, but he’s a capable pass catcher out of the backfield and runs hard. He caught 26 passes as a freshman in 2016 but only had 25 the following two years.

At the combine, he ran a disappointing 4.66 in the 40 and posted a 7.32 in the three-cone drill, which was also slow for a player his size. His lack of experience catching passes is somewhat concerning for teams trying to make him a change-of-pace back, as is his slow 40 time.

Singletary is projected to be a Day 2 or 3 draft pick in April, likely going somewhere in the middle rounds.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Slow, undersized and not much experience catching passes out of the backfield...What exactly do the Rams like about him?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Slow, undersized and not much experience catching passes out of the backfield...What exactly do the Rams like about him?
Yeah not sure what the appeal is. Maybe he comes in and blows it up but the tape and profile don’t excite.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yeah not sure what the appeal is. Maybe he comes in and blows it up but the tape and profile don’t excite.
I watched some tape also. I don't get his high ranking. Not enough quickness, or wiggle, or power for my taste at that size. I don't see him translating, but I could be wrong.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Watch his film. You'll see it quickly. He breaks an unholy amount of tackles. And while he lacks top-end speed, he has plenty of burst and stop and start ability. I also disagree with the claims that he doesn't have much experience catching passes. FAU didn't use him much as a pass catcher this year (probably had something to do with their terrible QB play), but he caught 45 passes over the previous two seasons.

What games of his did you watch? Asking seriously. The tape blew me away. Looked like Brian Westbrook to me. My only big concern with him is pass protection.

I watched some tape also. I don't get his high ranking. Not enough quickness, or wiggle, or power for my taste at that size. I don't see him translating, but I could be wrong.

Doc, I respect the hell out of your opinions, but I can't agree with this one. He has a ton of quickness, wiggle, and contact balance. He led the NCAA in broken tackle percentage. I've watched a lot of HBs over the past few years, and he's the toughest one to tackle I've seen during that time.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I love Singletary. Watch the Oklahoma tape. His offensive line - and quarterback - did him no favors in that game, and he still broke tackles and busted long runs. I don't care that he's small; he's the kind of guy I'd love to have on the team.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Unless the Rams are completely giving up on Gurley for the 2019 season, i'm not ready to use a draft pick we DON'T currently have to invest in Singletary. The Rams would have to trade down their #31 in order to garner additional picks, and while that might be a reasonable trade, taking a RB in the early to mid 3'rd round range seems rather excessive with other important concerns we have at this time. Honestly, after the Super Bowl, I still have some reservations about how effectively McVay uses his RB's anyway as he seems to be a pass first coach regardless of circumstances. My first choice would be to bring back CJ Anderson in free agency before he gets snapped up by some other team. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What games of his did you watch? Asking seriously. The tape blew me away. Looked like Brian Westbrook to me. My only big concern with him is pass protection.

Maybe I'm thinking the wrong guy I honestly haven't watched much from RB's this year.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Here. His tape on Oklahoma. If y'all don't see it with this tape, I don't know what to tell you.

I'd love to get him with a compensatory third. I hope he lasts that long.