Rams' roster taking shape

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Jim Thomas
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/with-preseason-looming-much-to-sort-through-for-rams/article_1ce87a1e-890b-5a6b-9033-6d935edbc66d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... bc66d.html</a>

foBGtCd.jpg

The preliminaries are over for Rams training camp. Preseason or not, let the games begin. Most of the starting jobs are spoken for, but there’s still a lot to sort out between now and Sept 8, when the regular season begins at home against Arizona.

As the days dwindle down to Thursday’s preseason opener in Cleveland, here’s a quick observational run-through of the top of the roster, by position (more or less), and realizing a lot could change in exhibition play:

Receivers: As is the case with most quarterbacks, earning Sam Bradford’s trust is a key to getting the ball thrown your way. Bradford may not have a security blanket like Danny Amendola on this roster, but he clearly has a comfort level with Austin Pettis, Jared Cook and Chris Givens. The chemistry with Cook is developing quickly. The top three wide receivers at this point clearly are Givens, Pettis and Tavon Austin. Brian Quick has made strides but still has work to do.

There are certain routes he excels at, such as the fade pattern in the end zone. But he needs to display more consistency catching the ball and get better at using his size to grab contested or 50-50 balls.

[hilite]Quick looks like the No. 4[/hilite] but unlike last year in camp, he has gotten plenty of practice reps with the starting offense.

[hilite]At the moment, Stedman Bailey looks like the No. 5 receiver[/hilite]. He has good hands but needs to do a better job tracking the deep ball.

Those who seemed to have the best chance for the No. 6 receiver job early in camp, Nick Johnson and Lindenwood University rookie Andrew Helmick, are sidelined because of hamstring injuries, although Johnson might try to play against Cleveland.

And that’s assuming the Rams keep six wideouts; they could go with just five.

One of the biggest questions about the tight end position after the signing of Cook in free agency was the role of Lance Kendricks.

Would Kendricks’ playing time be cut? Would he factor as much into the passing game as he did last year (42 catches, 519 yards)?

In theory, Kendricks could be used on the line of scrimmage as well as in the backfield like a fullback, while Cook does his thing in the slot or outside. But [hilite]there are no current clues because Kendricks has yet to practice[/hilite].

Right now, there’s only one fullback on the roster in undrafted rookie Eric Stevens.

The Rams probably won’t use as many two-back sets this season, so a healthy Kendricks plus backup tight end Cory Harkey, who can also block out of the backfield, could eliminate the need to keep Stevens.

At running back, [hilite]Daryl Richardson is listed as the starter on the unofficial depth chart, and he and Isaiah Pead clearly are at the head of the pack[/hilite], with Zac Stacy No. 3. If that’s the case, that leaves Terrance Ganaway and Benny Cunningham fighting for the No. 4 spot. Coach Jeff Fisher kept four running backs last year. That might be bad math for Chase Reynolds, but he’s hoping his special teams value earns him a spot among the final 53.

On the offensive line, Rodger Saffold is getting accustomed to playing right tackle and getting a workout in the process every day from defensive end Chris Long. At left guard, Shelley Smith and Chris Williams have alternated working with the first unit on a day-by-day basis. Smith works with the ‘1’s’ one day and Williams does so the next. In the short term it doesn’t look as if Barrett Jones is in the picture there; since returning from the non-football injury list, [hilite]he has been working at center[/hilite].

At quarterback, the only intrigue is whether Fisher will keep three QBs or two on the final roster, and whether the No. 2 will be veteran Kellen Clemens or second-year man Austin Davis. Not much separation has occurred between the two so far; they have been alternating on a daily basis with the second-team offense.

On defense, the only question up front is depth at tackle. Last year, Jermelle Cudjo was the No. 3 tackle, but he has yet to practice this camp because of a foot injury. That has left Matt Conrath as the No. 3.

At linebacker, the coaching staff is pleased so far with the work of Alec Ogletree, the first-round draft pick from Georgia — so much so that he has been part of the team’s nickel package, a role that was manned last year by Jo-Lonn Dunbar.

[hilite]Even with the arrival of Will Witherspoon, a backup spot or two is there for the taking.[/hilite]

Jabara Williams had been running with the second unit before being sidelined with a hamstring injury.

In the secondary, the top four spots at cornerback look secure, with rookie draft pick Brandon McGee at No. 4 behind the top three of Cortland Finnegan, Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson.

If the Rams keep five corners, it could be Quinton Pointer vs. St. Louisan Robert Steeples.

At safety, rookie [hilite]T.J. McDonald and Darian Stewart have a secure grip on the starting spots[/hilite]. McDonald’s had a few rough moments trying to cover Cook in practice — but who wouldn’t?

So far, Stewart has stayed healthy and stayed on the field and has gotten better defending the deep ball as camp has progressed.

On special teams, it’s all about the return game and finding core players. Backup jobs could be won or lost depending on how players cover kicks or block on returns.

[hilite]It looks as if it will be Austin on punt return[/hilite]s. Will it be Austin on kickoff returns as well? Or Pead, or Givens?

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
IMO, they are apt to go with 2 QB's and use Hekker as #3. There might not be much separation (yet) between Davis and Clemens, but you can bet the farm that when protection breaks down, Davis can and will handle things better. Clemens is finished, thank you for your service...

Sanchez will probably become available later, anyone got an extra 8 mil.?

I also anticipate that they'll go with 6 receivers or at least keep a 6th on the practice squad. We've got some small guys, we'd better have spares. Quick might be considered the 4th receiver, but I anticipate Bailey taking that spot before it's over, he gets open and has great hands. I don't think the deep ball matters in his case, he'll be great at short and intermediate passes.....no soup for you Quick. Quick has a big play role, but I believe it will be limited this season, particularly early.

As for Kendricks, I suspect we'll see him in the backfield frequently, depending upon how well these new RB's pick up the pass protection duties, except for Stacy, I'm not optimistic.

I think it would be a HUGE mistake to use Austin on kick off's.

Ah yes, the running backs.....Richardson can't block....next question.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
ramsince62 said:
IMO, they are apt to go with 2 QB's and use Hekker as #3. There might not be much separation (yet) between Davis and Clemens, but you can bet the farm that when protection breaks down, Davis can and will handle things better. Clemens is finished, thank you for your service...

I'm there with you. But not convinced this year is the year we cut ties.

Sanchez will probably become available later, anyone got an extra 8 mil.?

I also anticipate that they'll go with 6 receivers or at least keep a 6th on the practice squad. We've got some small guys, we'd better have spares. Quick might be considered the 4th receiver, but I anticipate Bailey taking that spot before it's over, he gets open and has great hands. I don't think the deep ball matters in his case, he'll be great at short and intermediate passes.....no soup for you Quick. Quick has a big play role, but I believe it will be limited this season, particularly early.

I say six. And... agree we need to remain patient with Quick.

As for Kendricks, I suspect we'll see him in the backfield frequently, depending upon how well these new RB's pick up the pass protection duties, except for Stacy, I'm not optimistic.

I think it would be a HUGE mistake to use Austin on kick off's.

Co-sign.

Ah yes, the running backs.....Richardson can't block....next question.

It could be the very reason Stacy gets the starting nod.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
You might find this hard to believe, but during the scrimmage at the Dome on Saturday the BEST RB in the one on one pass blocking drill was Isaiah Pead. He looked possessed. And whether it was having on the wrong shoes or what, but Stacy struggled to even stay on his feet. Ganaway fared well enough. Richardson continues to get overwhelmed physically. The effort is there, the size isn't.

As far Quick/Bailey and the "4th" WR, it's shaping up as a runaway in Quick's favor. From the targets in camp, Bailey is a distant 5th. While he and Quick are getting the same number of reps, both with the "1's" & the "2's", Quick is getting many more balls thrown his direction.

Although I don't get caught up in who's #4 or # 5, or for that matter who the "starter" will be. As much as we hear about RB by committee, I envision the same WR by committee approach this year. They all bring something to the mix, each with their unique skillset.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
CoachO said:
You might find this hard to believe, but during the scrimmage at the Dome on Saturday the BEST RB in the one on one pass blocking drill was Isaiah Pead. He looked possessed. And whether it was having on the wrong shoes or what, but Stacy struggled to even stay on his feet. Ganaway fared well enough. Richardson continues to get overwhelmed physically. The effort is there, the size isn't.

As far Quick/Bailey and the "4th" WR, it's shaping up as a runaway in Quick's favor. From the targets in camp, Bailey is a distant 5th. While he and Quick are getting the same number of reps, both with the "1's" & the "2's", Quick is getting many more balls thrown his direction.

Although I don't get caught up in who's #4 or # 5, or for that matter who the "starter" will be. As much as we hear about RB by committee, I envision the same WR by committee approach this year. They all bring something to the mix, each with their unique skillset.

Coacho, gotta defer to you, you're on the field and I'm not. Admittedly, I'm a tad surprised Bailey is a "distant" 5th. Then again, it's still early.

bluecoconuts

Legend
CoachO said:

Yep, that's how I see it exactly. Our receivers are going to have different jobs, it's going to be a group effort.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
bluecoconuts said:
CoachO said:

Yep, that's how I see it exactly. Our receivers are going to have different jobs, it's going to be a group effort.

I.e. what the Saints do i.e. what every team does, but media love to slap labels on players.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:
CoachO said:

I.e. what the Saints do i.e. what every team does, but media love to slap labels on players.

That's exactly what Kevin Demoff said on TST... Oh, wait, that was HERE!