Rams Roster Review: WR Stedman Bailey

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Rams Roster Review: WR Stedman Bailey
By Tevin Broner@T_Bron on Jun 27 2014

20131215_kkt_bs8_570.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Casey Sapio-USA TODAY Sports

The Rams roster review continues with a look at Bailey.

Stedman Bailey should be used to being overlooked by those who focus on his teammate Tavon Austin. In college, everyone always talked about Austin, and when they were both drafted to the St. Louis Rams last year, all eyes were on Austin.

Late last season, the Rams decided to use Bailey in the last few games of the season, who was 4th or 5th on the depth chart . While Bailey didn't necessarily ball out with 17 catches for 226 yards - plus 2 rushes for 33 yards and a touchdown - he did show potential. During the off season, there was buzz about him challenging for a starting spot.

Then Bailey violated the league's policy on performance enhancing drugs and will be lost for 4 games. So now, instead of being a potential starter when the season begins, he is back to being overlooked and probably will be until he returns week 6 (Rams have a bye, week 5).

Expectations for Bailey
It's hard to say, at the end of the season Bailey was getting more snaps than the other receivers not named Chris Givens. He's a really good route runner, and his hands are more than solid. Although Bailey is obviously talented, his suspension came at the worst time. If another player stands out in training camp, Bailey could barely see his name called in 2014.

Roster Battle
Before the suspension, Bailey and Kenny Britt were front runners for a starting receiver position. It's just going to be hard for Bailey to get a lot of opportunities because of his suspension. On the bright side, the Rams coaches must have saw something in Bailey late last season since his snaps picked up, so there's still a chance.

Personally I see a roster battle between Bailey and Quick developing for the fourth receiver spot. That's going to be an interesting battle to watch during camp and the preseason.

Will he make the 2014 Rams Roster
Yes, he will make the roster and he should play in some games. His four game suspension came at a bad time, and he'll have to show Jeff Fisher - who gets a tad irked when players let his team down (Just ask Jo Lon Dunbar) - that his mistake is behind him.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Rams need him in the lineup especially game 5 and beyond. I hope Fisher gives him a pass.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
OK. He fucked up this one time. But Bailey is going to be a very good to great Ram's receiver. I see him like a Holt Jr.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams need him in the lineup especially game 5 and beyond. I hope Fisher gives him a pass.

I doubt a pass as such - but I hope he does so well in preseason that they feel there is no choice but to give him snaps starting game 5/week 6. A steady receiver who catches most of what Sam throws to him would be very nice - gives Sam a safety valve - then have Sammy go long periodically to open things up. I'd really love Bailey on one side, Britt or Quick on the other, Austin all over, and Givens in often enough to make opposing secondaries worry about him blowing past them for 50+ yard gains.

Wish he hadn't got his ass suspended, I'd be putting serious ROD money on him being our leading receiver once I get round to setting up that book. Can still have a good 700+ yard season imo.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I really liked how he was playing at the end of last year and I don't know what really happened with his failed test but it cold not have come at a worse time. He will not get a pass from Fisher that just is not how he operates. And if the other guys are stepping up their game he will never get a starting position in 2014. He still might be able to provide some production in 3rd down situations with his god hand and RAC. Too bad, just when it seemed like they had a gem, it will likely be 2015 before he shines.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I doubt a pass as such - but I hope he does so well in preseason that they feel there is no choice but to give him snaps starting game 5/week 6. A steady receiver who catches most of what Sam throws to him would be very nice - gives Sam a safety valve - then have Sammy go long periodically to open things up. I'd really love Bailey on one side, Britt or Quick on the other, Austin all over, and Givens in often enough to make opposing secondaries worry about him blowing past them for 50+ yard gains.

It depends IMO. There's taking PEDs and there's making a mistake with an ingredient in a supplement. It also depends on the rest of his character. Some players get in and out of Fisher's doghouse fast and others seem to live there.

It will also depend on WR production. Fisher won't lose games over this I wouldn't think.

Irish

Starter
I hope he gets a TON of work in the preseason and practice with Sam. He was developing a serious rapport with Sam and Kellen at the end of last year, and the worst thing about his suspension (dumbass) is that he will miss important early season development opportunity in real game situations.

I really liked how he was playing at the end of last year and I don't know what really happened with his failed test but it cold not have come at a worse time. He will not get a pass from Fisher that just is not how he operates. And if the other guys are stepping up their game he will never get a starting position in 2014. He still might be able to provide some production in 3rd down situations with his god hand and RAC. Too bad, just when it seemed like they had a gem, it will likely be 2015 before he shines.

I think it will take both Britt and Quick stepping up. Based on last season Bailey is easily our second best WR.

Philly5

Rookie
Lost a big time opportunity with his suspension. Wouldn't it be a great thing if he couldn't get playing time in 2014? That would mean Givens rebounded, Quick figured stuff out, and Britt returned to form.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think it will take both Britt and Quick stepping up. Based on last season Bailey is easily our second best WR.
I was excited to see how he progressed this year after how he showed at the end of the year. Loved the way he snatched the ball from the air and then made quick max effort moves to get as many YACs as possible.I just don't see Fisher letting him off the hook easily if the team is winning.

JRobinson

MiLB
It's obvious that we all are disappointed in what has transpired with Bailey's situation. I, like the others, think that he is one of the better receivers on this squad. And although I realize that Bailey is a loss for the first few weeks, I don't believe we should be extremely distraught;.... because of one guy. Pettis. I know a lot of fans arnt a big fan of his for some reason but I am. Pettis has shown a decent if not a good amount of consistency in his career so far. Who do I feel more confident in throwing the ball to in a clutch situation? Pettis. Over Austin, Givens and Quick at this point.

Yeah, I'd rather have Bailey on the field. Sure. But I'm not forgetting another good contributor to the WR group.

Just sayin'.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I really have high hopes for Bailey, I'm excited to see what he's gonna do after his suspension is up.

fancents86

Starter
Bailey's a badass. He will still have more total yards than anyone else by seasons end even with his suspension. Givens will be right behind him.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I thought I read ... and this was a tweet from I think his agent, that the suspension was a result of missing a test ... ?? Could it be possible he was found having something in his system and then ended up missing (or being late) for one of the subsequent tests?

RamzFanz

Damnit
Bailey's a badass. He will still have more total yards than anyone else by seasons end even with his suspension. Givens will be right behind him.

Well, not total yards I don't think. Receiving yards maybe. TA will probably have the most total yards.

Still, that's a bold prediction. I have a hunch it might be Britt with the most receiving if he becomes a reliable downfield target. if Bailey has the most, that won't bode well for the Rams' deep game.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Classic line: Success is when preparation meets opportunity....Opportunity has been provided, now lets see if Quick and or Britt is prepared to take advantage....I think he effed up, big time.....Sorta like Jo Lon.....at least he's young, maybe 2015 will be his time.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I just wonder if his suspension came at a bad time.
There is no doubt because if other guys make a move ... it could hurt him. At least the chance of being the #1 or 2 guy. As Champ just posted ... if Britt and Quick ... or even Givens heats up .... Bailey could be back where he was at the beginning of last yr.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Looking at the posts 'X' put up with all Sted's touches, I think he'll work his way back into the starting line-up sooner than later. He gets open and battles for the ball better than anyone we have. I think Bradford will love this guy within no time. Looks and plays like a young Henry Ellard..