Rams Roster Review: WR Chris Givens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Rams Roster Review: WR Chris Givens
By EddieP@iAmEddieP_ on Jun 26 2014

20131110_lbm_bl4_362.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Pat Lovell-USA TODAY Sports

Chris Givens headed into the 2013 season as the number one receiver for the St. Louis Rams.

After flashing potential as a deep threat in his rookie year, St. Louis Rams receiver Chris Givens had some pretty big expectations heading into the 2013 season.

In 2012 – his rookie year – Givens stat line looked like this : 42 catches, 689 yards, and three TDs. He had a catch of 20 yards or more in eight games; a catch of 50 yards or more in five games.

With the free agency departures of fellow receivers Danny Amendola and Brandon Gibson, Givens was poised to get the lion's share of the looks in the passing game.

However, Givens' sophomore campaign did nothing but disappoint. Expected to take on the No. 1 receiver role, Chris regressed in form.

Look for Chris Givens to treat 2014 as his redemption season.

Expectations for the 2014 Season

In 2013, Givens' stat line – 34 catches-569 yards-zero touchdowns – was, honestly, piss poor pathetic.

Chris said it himself; his lack of production (lack of touchdowns, specifically) made him reevaluate himself and his entire lifestyle.

In response, Givens spent the off-season working out in Arizona, with Mack Newton – a trainer former Ram great Aeneas Williams referred him to. In addition to the suggested changed of scenery, Williams also connected Givens with former Rams receiver Isaac Bruce.

With the off-season changes Givens made, it is expected for him to take a leap and get his career back on track after the forgettable 2013 season.

In or Out?
Unless for some unforeseeable reason, Givens has a spot on the Rams roster this year. He sounds like he has re-focused himself. But at this point, it's all talk. Until we see some legitimate results, take this player-speak with a huge grain of salt.

Especially since all of them seem to rise & grind.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I like Chris, and he talks a good game. He needs to show. There is no more room for him to have just potential on this team. You have to be good, and have potential. WR will be interesting in camp, who, and how many we keep.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like Chris, and he talks a good game. He needs to show. There is no more room for him to have just potential on this team. You have to be good, and have potential. WR will be interesting in camp, who, and how many we keep.

He is turning into excuse central....play, stop the drops, get open, and get in the endzone....

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Givens' entire repertoire is going deep, so I'm ready to give him another chance based on how horrible the offense design was for the first 4 games of last season in terms of never throwing down field, then of course losing his #1 QB. Since the Rams are coming out of the gate with a strong running game this time, I'm hoping we'll see Schotty and Bradford looking to strike deep off play action more often with Givens the target.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The biggest issue with Chris Givens, and this is something I have maintained since his first training camp. He is a one trick pony, IMO, and was easily taken out of the game when teams realized it. They often had a safety over the top to his side, and he tends to get frustrated if he can't get deep.

He has no interest in going over the middle, and even running quick slants are an adventure with him if contested at all. He has "alligator arms" in traffic.

His route tree was limited to running the "9" (straight go), an intermediate sideline out, which he still has a tendency not to come back to the ball, and the occasional hook route (8-10 yrds).

Will he be productive if "refocussed" coming into camp this year? Who knows? .... but he reminds me of Donnie Avery when it comes to fighting for contested balls. He just won't do it.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
The fact he's sought advice from Aeneas Williams with the trainer is an indicator of good intentions at least. Hopefully Bruce can help him be more than a one trick pony, or at least be better at his one trick

Athos

Legend
First time for everything. Agree with each point Coach. Givens is Avery, but healthier. Doesn't really have the size or fight in him to being a TD scorer.

He's a scorcher that basically opens the field up for other WRs. Ideally, he comes on for 3rd WR sets or 3rd and longs.

Who said it coach. The alligator arms and unwillingness to go over the middle or run a slant and come back to ball will prevent him from being a starter.

Bailey is more suited to that split-end role I think. Though honestly, you probably hope Quick and Britt can man the left and right side respectively this season.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If Givens, with all his speed, can't run a deep dig route, then fall down to protect himself....I don't see how you can start/play a guy like this...All the other speed burners in the league run enough routes to get involved in their respective offenses...

On another note, I too would like to see Quick & Britt win the starting spots, with Tavon in the slot...Bailey work all 3 spots when he's reinstated from suspension

CoachO

Hall of Fame
First time for everything. Agree with each point Coach. Givens is Avery, but healthier. Doesn't really have the size or fight in him to being a TD scorer.

He's a scorcher that basically opens the field up for other WRs. Ideally, he comes on for 3rd WR sets or 3rd and longs.

Who said it coach. The alligator arms and unwillingness to go over the middle or run a slant and come back to ball will prevent him from being a starter.

Bailey is more suited to that split-end role I think. Though honestly, you probably hope Quick and Britt can man the left and right side respectively this season.

Ideally, I would envision Bailey being the guy opposite a HEALTHY Britt, who along with Quick form a nice rotation on the other side. I also see them using Austin on the outside some.

So, as they enter training camp, I see Bailey and Givens alternating on one side, Britt and Quick being interchangeable on the other. With Austin as the wild card, both in the slot, and outside depending on personnel groupings. (multiple TE sets)

Givens may indeed be given every opportunity to prove his worth the first month (Bailey's suspension), but he will have to show more than he has to keep it.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
If Givens, with all his speed, can't run a deep dig route, then fall down to protect himself....I don't see how you can start/play a guy like this...All the other speed burners in the league run enough routes to get involved in their respective offenses...

On another note, I too would like to see Quick & Britt win the starting spots, with Tavon in the slot...Bailey work all 3 spots when he's reinstated from suspension

That's just it, Givens WON'T run the deep dig route. He has never shown the ability, or desire to go over the middle, especially in FRONT of safeties. This is the route that Quick excels at.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
That's just it, Givens WON'T run the deep dig route. He has never shown the ability, or desire to go over the middle, especially in FRONT of safeties. This is the route that Quick excels at.

Yeah, I think he has until Bailey comes back from suspension to prove he's an NFL caliber player. Otherwise they'll start to move away from targeting him.

I think he'll be bright spot for us.