Rams Rookie QB Sean Mannion Making Adjustment to NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Mannion Making Adjustment to NFL
By Austin Lankford

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Mannion-Making-Adjustment-to-NFL/4bd38ef6-90f9-433e-ab7f-3f3e62833d12

Quarterback is football’s toughest and most important position, especially during a transition to the NFL, and through June, Rams’ rookie Sean Mannion is making positive early strides.

St. Louis drafted Mannion this year in the third round out of Oregon State where he was a four-year starter. He left the Beavers as the program’s all-time leader in passing touchdowns, yards, completions, and attempts. Standing at 6-foot-6 and listed at 233 pounds, Mannion has the dimensions of a prototypical NFL quarterback. Records and figures might align, but Mannion is now focused on properly making the switch to becoming a pro.

“It’s been great just coming in and working with the veterans. They are all great guys and we have a great quarterback room,” Mannion said at OTAs. “I’m just trying to get to know them and obviously getting to know the playbook. I think I’m picking up the offense really well and I think it’s just a matter of knowing all the little adjustments and little details to every play.”

During OTAs, Mannion, along with rookies throughout the league, found out quickly that in the NFL, the little details become much more significant.

“Everything is so fine,” the rookie signal-caller said. “I think there might be balls where in college it could be a completion and in the NFL it’s not going to be a completion. So I think the margin for error, to me, has been the thing that’s stood out as the biggest difference from college.”

While Mannion is the lone rookie in the Rams’ quarterback group, he isn’t the only one who’s learning under offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti for the first time. He’s working alongside new Ram and starting quarterback, Nick Foles.

“It’s kind of unique because Nick has been going through the process of learning as well,” Mannion said. “I think it has been great, but at the same time, even though he’s new to this system he has a ton of knowledge on being a pro and different concepts he ran in Philadelphia. But like I said, I’m still trying to lean on the veterans.”

With Foles as the starter, Mannion will begin battling for the backup QB spot against Case Keenum and Austin Davis when training camp begins in late July.

Alan

Legend
Let's hope we won't ever need him but he appears to be pretty decent raw material.