Rams Report: If Sam Bradford Delivers, Playoffs May Follow/USAToday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams report: If Sam Bradford delivers, playoffs may follow
By Maggie Hendricks and Chris Korman, USA TODAY Sports

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...am-bradford-jeff-fisher-michael-sam/11353879/

The St. Louis Rams had the opportunity to draft Robert Griffin III in 2012. Last month, they could have taken any of the 2014 draft's top quarterbacks. But they passed, despite having two shots at Johnny Manziel and Teddy Bridgewater.

That means incumbent Rams quarterback Sam Bradford needs to justify the club's ongoing faith in him.

The 2010 No. 1 overall pick showed signs of making a leap early last season before missing the final nine games with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. He participated in some practice drills — ahead of schedule — and seems poised to lead an offense that appears well-suited to coach Jeff Fisher's style.

As long as left tackle Jake Long (torn ACL/MCL) returns at full strength, the line should be good enough to grind out tough yards in arguably the league's most difficult division.

Of course, Bradford's progress and recuperation won't even be the most-talked-about story surrounding the team.

St. Louis ensured it would be the center of intense national coverage by picking Missouri defensive end Michael Sam, the first openly gay player to enter the NFL draft, in the seventh round. He's likely to play only a minor role on the team — if he makes the roster at all — but the sort of media frenzy he'll generate has caused trouble for teams with more experience than the Rams.

Defensively, Gregg Williams finally takes over as coordinator, two seasons later than planned. He was forced to sit out 2012 for his role in the New Orleans Saints bounty scandal, but his return is expected to give the St. Louis defense an edge. He's known for motivating players and putting them in spots that maximize their strengths and mitigate their weaknesses. That will be important with a secondary that lacks playmakers.

The Rams are a popular pick to make a playoff run in 2014. Considering they received nine players — at least five who are likely to start this season — by trading the draft pick that eventually became RG3, the talent should be in place to do so. Only the difficulty of the NFC West and the uncertainty brought on by Bradford stand in the way. If the fifth-year quarterback can continue to grow and allow offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer to open up the playbook, St. Louis has a legitimate chance to give Fisher his first winning season since 2008, when he was coach of the Tennessee Titans.

Quarterback

Is Bradford the guy who snapped Peyton Manning's record for completions by a rookie, or the guy who hasn't been quite as proficient ever since? True, he had a strong start to last season, completing 60.7% of his passes and throwing 14 touchdowns to only four interceptions. But his career has been marked by the sort of inconsistency and injuries that can't be absorbed from a player scheduled to make $14 million this year and $13 million in 2015.

Running back

Zac Stacy ran for 973 yards as a rookie, starting 12 games, and will go into the season as the presumed starter. Still, the Rams used a third-round pick on Auburn's Tre Mason, a slightly smaller and more agile version of Stacy. It wouldn't be a surprise to see them splitting carries by midseason.

Wide receiver

St. Louis hasn't had a receiver surpass 1,000 yards since 2007. The Rams added former Titan Kenny Britt, a first-round pick in 2009 and an underachiever who joins a group of them. Chris Givens, Brian Quick and Austin Pettis are veterans who have yet to show they are anything more than steady role players. Second-year speedster Tavon Austin should make more big plays this year, and Stedman Bailey, who is suspended for the first four games of the season, showed he can be a viable option.

Tight end

Jared Cook led the team in receiving yards last season (671), and Lance Kendricks was an above-average blocker in a ball-control scheme.

Offensive line

Long is back to protect Bradford's blind side. Rodger Stafford, whose mammoth free agent contract from the Oakland Raiders was rescinded after a medical exam, returns to the team that drafted him to play right guard. The Rams took Greg Robinson with the second pick in the draft and plan to play him next to Long. They also signed Davin Joseph. Center Scott Wells and right tackle Joe Barksdale round out what could be the team's deepest, most dependable unit.

Defensive line

Robert Quinn anchored the defense with an NFC-high 19 sacks. His bookend, Chris Long, will benefit as more teams try to neutralize Quinn. On the inside, rookie Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers, first-round picks like Quinn and Long, are expected to start. Anything Sam might provide would be a bonus.

Linebacker

Williams' arrival means Alec Ogletree should shine. His quick, hard-hitting style fits in well with the aggressive schemes Williams has employed. James Laurinaitis, who had at least 110 tackles in each of his five seasons, will still be the centerpiece of the defense. Jo-Lonn Dunbar, who played for Williams in New Orleans, should round out the starting unit.

Secondary

The Rams were in the bottom half of the league in interceptions and need the overhaul Williams will bring. T.J. McDonald — who struggled last year — is fast and will fit in perfectly with Williams' blitz-heavy defense. With Cortland Finnegan gone, cornerback Trumaine Johnson is expected to have a bigger role. Janoris Jenkins struggled, grabbing one interception last season after getting four in 2012, but a new scheme could benefit him.

Special teams

Punter Johnny Hekker went to the Pro Bowl last season. Kicker Greg Zuerlein missed just two field goals in 2013 and has the leg to become a game-changer. Austin should be one of the best return men in the league.

Coaching

Fisher is among the most well-respected coaches in the NFL, and he appears to have finally built the Rams to suit his philosophy. St. Louis will try to control the ball and keep games close. The defense will be, if all goes according to plan, not overly taxed and therefore able to apply heavy pressure under Williams. The Rams should be involved in many close games that come down to late-game execution. That may be asking a lot of Bradford, but it's time for him to deliver.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Pretty good write up until they got to talking about the D and no mention of the depth on our Dline or our second round pick Joyner??? got pretty lazy twards the end there.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
There were a few things in that article thar made me wonder if either of the two people writing it had ever seen a Rams game.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I think it's a popular theory that the rams should be having a shot at the playoffs this year.
However, there seems to be a recurring trend amongst most analysts about our secondary.

"That will be important with a secondary that lacks playmakers."

I really disagree with that statement. It doesn't take into account waltons shocking scheme and that we had 2 rookies, 1 with a broken leg. I believe that McDonald can and will make big plays for us and Rodney will pitch in as well, not to mention our DB Joyner. I think the only analyst, outside of stl, I've seen who recognises that we do have playmakers was Bucky Brooke's piece a few weeks ago

RAM's-NWST

UDFA
My take is that there were some omissions in the OP article that will be contributors to making the playoffs or not in this tough division.
1) Under coaching - no mention of the poor discipline that has led to untimely penalties...need to do much better here
2) Special Teams - the OP highlighted that we have better players as P, K, and Return...but the Rams special team units dominated this phase of the game in 2013 and will need to again to be successful
3) Player Depth - injuries happen, but this is the first season in years that I can remember that the Rams have depth with almost any unit except linebacker and secondary

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Colts game, when we were crushing them something like 35-0, we may have less close games this year than anyone ever thought. Dark horse baby!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't really have any big issues with that article.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I don't really have any big issues with that article.
I wouldn't think so, it's certainly well rehearsed since the very same things have been written about by a half dozen others over the past few weeks. They all even rehash the G-3 trade and Bradford's history as though it just happened or that there is a single human on the planet who still hasn't heard about it...every time.

I just wish instead of rehashing the same things over and over, someone would actually do a little work and come up with something of value.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Here's the deal plain and simple, if Bradford stays healthy, he will be a top 10 QB IMO now if he doesn't the Rams have a better plan B with Shaun Hill, but it does not bode well for a long term plan. The Rams need Sam and Sam needs the Rams.

I think Britt & Quick will offer big targets that can block for the likes of Stacy & Mason with a dash of Pead for spice and the offensive line should be the best unit that OL Coach Paul Boudreau has had since he's been in St. Louis. The question will be is how good will the 49ers and Seahawks be again because the Rams could end up the Cardinals and finish 10-6 and still not end up in post season God for freakin bid!

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
I wouldn't think so, it's certainly well rehearsed since the very same things have been written about by a half dozen others over the past few weeks. They all even rehash the G-3 trade and Bradford's history as though it just happened or that there is a single human on the planet who still hasn't heard about it...every time.

I just wish instead of rehashing the same things over and over, someone would actually do a little work and come up with something of value.
I think I read that exact article like 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I can't wait to see what G Williams does with all the young talent.

I thought the coaching staff wanted to remove Austin from return duties.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Who's this Roger Stafford guy, we've been keeping him under wraps i guess - great reporting again...

Memphis Ram

Legend
Rams report: If Sam Bradford delivers, playoffs may follow
By Maggie Hendricks and Chris Korman, USA TODAY Sports

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...am-bradford-jeff-fisher-michael-sam/11353879/

The St. Louis Rams had the opportunity to draft Robert Griffin III in 2012. Last month, they could have taken any of the 2014 draft's top quarterbacks. But they passed, despite having two shots at Johnny Manziel and Teddy Bridgewater.

That means incumbent Rams quarterback Sam Bradford needs to justify the club's ongoing faith in him.

At the same time, RGIII, Manziel, and/or Bridgewater still have to justify why the Rams should have moved on from Bradford for their services.:whistle:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Exactly, and if RGIII, Bridgewater and Manziel were selected they'd be up next.

Basically, I just get the impression that the fans of other teams and the media wants the Rams to perpetually spend their draft picks on quarterbacks so that they'll remain the punching bags of the NFL.