Rams put emphasis on players who performed in the classroom, too

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/28/nfl-los-angeles-rams-draft-class-academics-awards/

By: Cameron DaSilva

After adding a handful of players with so-called character concerns in Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib and Ndamukong Suh, the Los Angeles Rams put a priority on drafting players with academic backgrounds. That’s not to say they put school first and didn’t focus on football, but just about all of the prospects the Rams drafted were great in the classroom and on the field.

Just take a look at this list, which shows how impressive of a group it is.

Joe Noteboom: four-time Academic All-Big 12.
Brian Allen: three-time Academic All-Big Ten.
John Franklin: three-time Academic All-Southland Conference.
Micah Kiser: two-time ACC Academic Honor Roll.
Sebastian Joseph: three-time Academic All-Big Ten

— Joe Curley (@vcsjoecurley) April 28, 2018

Les Snead was asked whether the Rams targeted those types of players on purpose Saturday night, and while he didn’t dismiss the idea, he did say that the Rams like finding guys who are good “human beings.”

“I don’t think you ever just start and say, ‘Let’s just get Academic All-Americans,’ but I do think that the human beings that take pride – and they’re student-athletes, right? That human being actually says I’m going to sacrifice somethings to be really good in school,” Snead said. “I think those traits as a human being bleeds over to those guys in the football meeting room and on the field and the preparation they put into all of that. I think we like to call it, sometimes you’re drafting traits, sometimes you’re drafting really good football players. Those guys fall into that, ‘you know what, they’re football players,’ and whatever mixture of DNA leads to that, that’s part of it.”

The Rams are certainly adding high-character players to the locker room, which only bodes well for the chemistry amongst players. Adding guys like Kiser and the impressive players above not only improves the intelligence on the field, but likely the camaraderie off it, too.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I like this idea, and I hope it works out well for the Rams!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Lets see how this goes....Kiser, Allen, and Noteboom were all decent college players.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Man, Snead's new buzz word is "human being"

For example:
"Tavon is a great human being."
"We are drafting good human beings."

I'm wondering if this has something to do with their experience with the Lizard tendencies of Sammy Watkins.... maybe having a reptilian on your roster shook Snead to the core

Look, I know where he is going with this conceptually, but why not just say "yeah we picked guys that are well-rounded on the field and in the classroom?"

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Lets see how this goes....Kiser, Allen, and Noteboom were all decent college players.
Thinking they are for players that have attention to detail personalities now. It makes sense. You can have all the ability in the world but with no effort or ability to learn on the go your less likely to cut it. I’m excited with those 4! Think they have great potential to be steals tbh!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You can have all the ability in the world but with no effort or ability to learn on the go your less likely to cut it.
Can't coach ability....that is...you can't coach ability into someone...

I like the guy from Steven F. Austin...4.7
I like Noteboom....4.9
I like Kizer....4.6
I like that UDFA from Oklahoma...the DB...think he ran a 4.5.

You're wasting all of your coaching if you're wasting it on guys that can't run....trust me.

Corbin

I like Noteboom....4.9
I like Kizer....4.6

You're wasting all of your coaching if you're wasting it on guys that can't run....trust me.
Tell that to Tory Holt and Isaac Bruce. Slow 40’s... o_O

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/28/nfl-los-angeles-rams-draft-class-academics-awards/

By: Cameron DaSilva

After adding a handful of players with so-called character concerns in Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib and Ndamukong Suh, the Los Angeles Rams put a priority on drafting players with academic backgrounds. That’s not to say they put school first and didn’t focus on football, but just about all of the prospects the Rams drafted were great in the classroom and on the field.

Just take a look at this list, which shows how impressive of a group it is.

Joe Noteboom: four-time Academic All-Big 12.
Brian Allen: three-time Academic All-Big Ten.
John Franklin: three-time Academic All-Southland Conference.
Micah Kiser: two-time ACC Academic Honor Roll.
Sebastian Joseph: three-time Academic All-Big Ten

— Joe Curley (@vcsjoecurley) April 28, 2018

Les Snead was asked whether the Rams targeted those types of players on purpose Saturday night, and while he didn’t dismiss the idea, he did say that the Rams like finding guys who are good “human beings.”

“I don’t think you ever just start and say, ‘Let’s just get Academic All-Americans,’ but I do think that the human beings that take pride – and they’re student-athletes, right? That human being actually says I’m going to sacrifice somethings to be really good in school,” Snead said. “I think those traits as a human being bleeds over to those guys in the football meeting room and on the field and the preparation they put into all of that. I think we like to call it, sometimes you’re drafting traits, sometimes you’re drafting really good football players. Those guys fall into that, ‘you know what, they’re football players,’ and whatever mixture of DNA leads to that, that’s part of it.”

The Rams are certainly adding high-character players to the locker room, which only bodes well for the chemistry amongst players. Adding guys like Kiser and the impressive players above not only improves the intelligence on the field, but likely the camaraderie off it, too.
I think this^ has a lot to do with this line of thinking ...

temp_RT30038--.jpg

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy

I sure never heard of a 4.38 forty time being slow. . . Holt had wheels, route running ability, and hands. Dude was top 3 in the league for a large portion of his career.

Corbin

I sure never heard of a 4.38 forty time being slow. . . Holt had wheels, route running ability, and hands. Dude was top 3 in the league for a large portion of his career.

Don't know why i wrote Tory :( lol Meant to type Jerry Rice but I think I could beat Tory running backwards in the 40. :)

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Straight out untruth....

Torry Holt 4.38
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...A0450B32BE2AC78BBE25A0450B32BE2AC78&FORM=VIRE

Isaac Bruce 4.48
http://articles.latimes.com/1994-11-05/sports/sp-59048_1_isaac-bruce

Moore had worked out Bruce, 6-feet and 178 pounds, at Memphis State and liked his athletic ability. Bruce ran a 4.48-second 40-yard dash and ran smooth routes during the scouting combines. It was enough to convince Becker and Moore that Bruce was their man.

"He's just silky smooth," Moore said. "He's as quick as a cat, has a nice run after the catch and gets in and out of cuts."

Some have claimed Antonio Brown ran in the 4.6's or 4.7's....which is also untrue....4.48 for Antonio...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Meant to type Jerry Rice
I don't believe Jerry's time was accurate either....I've seen 4.5's....but I'd guess 4.4 something...based on the way he played and was often running away from supposedly faster defenders....

Plus...Jerry...much like the great Walter Payton were/was a workout monster....

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member

I like Noteboom....4.9
I like Kizer....4.6

Renaldo Neamiah could run but couldn't play football. To single out speed as the one thing you can't coach is just naive. You need smart and durable football players you can fit into your system. If they got speed that's a bonus. But if a guy is fast and can't run a route or read a defense or can't tackle etc etc etc.

Deion sanders was fast and could play. DeMarcus Van Dyke was faster, and played only 25 games in 3 years before being out of the NFL. Tavon Austin was fast and never put up a season like the rookie Cooper Kupp did. This fascination with speed is humorous.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Renaldo probably only went out there because he missed the Olympics...boycott maybe??
Renaldo Neamiah could run but couldn't play football. To single out speed as the one thing you can't coach is just naive.
You're like my personal soft spot...my....Chuck Wepner....any time I need a big win, I go to you ....Just playin...not really...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaldo_Nehemiah
Football career[edit]

Despite never playing football in college,[12] Nehemiah worked out in 1982 for several NFL teams, including the San Francisco 49ers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Washington Redskins, Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, New York Giants and New England Patriots; he signed with the 49ers. During his three years as a wide receiver he caught 43 passes for 754 yards, a 17.5 average, and four touchdowns. Although he was part of the Super Bowl winning team in the 1984 season, he did not play a major role. His football career is deemed by some to be a failure – many think it represents one of the most glaring mistakes ever made by 49ers head coach Bill Walsh – winning Nehemiah a comparison to the track star Jimmie "Oops" Hines, who won his infamous nickname for his inability to catch the ball. However, a strong point of Nehemiah was that he would draw the defense into deep coverage whenever he was on the field. He would often be guarded with deep or double coverage, thereby demonstrating a success of Nehemiah. Nehemiah was made expendable in 1985 when the 49ers drafted Jerry Rice in the first round, and he returned to the track in 1986.
Hmmmmm
This fascination with speed is humorous.

Never played college ball, but played 3 years in the NFL.....I guess he got a look cause...cause why???? Why would the NFL even look at a guy that hasn't played college ball?
Because he is an elite athlete....

Your emphasis on trying to de-value speed and athleticism is also just as hilarious....you are trying to give young and impressionable football minds the idea that teams are not built on extreme athleticism....which is not only wrong, but is very misleading....our FA class should show most reasonable individuals what types of guys the Rams...and most of the NFL covets....the only conclusion I can see is...you...were/are very slow...and not athletic.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Franklin-Myers-Primed-for-Development-Under-Wade-Phillips-/ace85e62-506b-4e6e-8fc6-301c721967e0

And with that combination of versatility and talent, Franklin-Myers is poised to develop nicely under one of the top coordinators in the league in the Rams’ Wade Phillips. His impressive production last season — recording 13.5 tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks — and standout measurables give Phillips two important aspects to look forward to.

I like him because he’s 6-foot-4, 283 pounds and runs a 4.7 first,” Phillips said with a laugh. “But he’s a development guy, a develop-quickly guy it looked like to me.”

Just so we're not confused....this is for backs, linemen, and most players...maybe QB is different...but Josh
Allen wasn't just selected highly because he talks proper....