Rams prospect profile: Deone Bucannon/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams prospect profile: Deone Bucannon
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/7840/rams-prospect-profile-deone-bucannon

The 2014 NFL draft is still 10 days away. Before we get there, we'll take a look at a prospect or two in the draft who could be of interest to the St. Louis Rams.

By now, we've covered most of the big names so the focus here will be on vetting some potential additions beyond the top 10 of the draft.

DEONE BUCANNON

Position: Safety

School: Washington State

Height/Weight: 6-foot-1, 211 pounds

Projected round: 2

Pros: In terms of measureables and production, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who looks and plays the part like Bucannon did in college. His size and build are everything you'd want in a safety. As a four-year starter, Bucannon appeared in every game with no real injury issues of note despite playing a position that leads to a lot of high-impact collisions. Had 15 interceptions and seven forced fumbles in his career demonstrated an ability to create turnovers on a consistent basis. A willing, powerful tackler who is good in run support, Bucannon also has the athleticism and ball skills to make plays on the ball when it's thrown his way.

Cons: Although he's a good athlete, Bucannon isn't a great one, making him an occasional liability in coverage. But his bigger weakness in that regard is a lack of instincts to read plays, react and get to the ball. Often targeted and beaten with play action, pump fakes and other misdirection. Also has been known to get caught peeking into the backfield which allows him to get beat over the top.

Fit with Rams: The Rams are most in need of a rangy centerfield type of safety who can run the alley and provide a solid last line of defense in coverage. Bucannon isn't really the prototype for that role but that doesn't mean he's incapable of handling it. He has enough speed and athleticism to fill that job and his penchant for forcing turnovers offers hope that his ball skills could translate to the NFL. Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams likes to use his safeties interchangeably and if he wants to go that route and mix things up, Bucannon's ability to stop the run and play in the box would complement T.J. McDonald nicely. If the Rams don't go for a first-round safety, Bucannon could be a good albeit imperfect fit for St. Louis.

He said it: Bucannon on how he projects at the next level -- “They see my frame (6-1, 211) and think automatically, 'lets throw him in the box,'" Bucannon told the Lions official website. “That’s why I’m real thankful for guys like (Seattle safety) Kam Chancellor (6-3, 232), who shows bigger safeties can cover. That’s really opening other people’s eyes. When coaches ask me what I am, I feel I can play both.”

Alan

Legend
"Bucannon isn't really the prototype for that role but that doesn't mean he's incapable of handling it."

Now there's a ringing endorsement if I've ever heard one.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Wouldn't mind if we targeted him in the second round, especially if we get a corner like Denard in the first... He's rumored to have serious interest at the bottom of the first round tho, maybe the cheatriots

SierraRam

Recreational User
He's a good prospect but there are better. He's jumped (like a lot of safeties) up to a round 2/3 grade, but Brooks and Ward are faster and more athletic. I think both would be better fits next to TJ. Hopefully, one is available at #44. If not, Bucannon or Bailey in the 3rd would work just fine.

V3

Hall of Fame
Buchanon is not a big improvement over McLeod. I really don't like him all that much.
Nothing stuck out to me with him. Seemed like a fourth rounder to me that's getting bumped up due to the limited number of FSs and the increasing demand for them.