Rams propose "Tom Brady Rule"....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It's not often that an NFL quarterback gets away with completing two passes on one play, but that's what Tom Brady did to the Rams last season, and now the Rams are proposing a rule change to make sure no one else ever gets stuck in the situation that they found themselves in last November.

Under the Rams' proposed rule, teams will lose a down if they throw a second forward pass from behind the line of scrimmage or if they throw a pass from behind the line of scrimmage after the ball has already crossed the line of scrimmage. This might seem like a very specific rule, but the Rams are proposing it because of what happened with Brady back in Week 11.

On a third-and-10 play for the Buccaneers in the fourth quarter, a pass thrown by Brady was batted back to him and he responded by throwing another pass, which ended up being an 8-yard completion to Mike Evans.

The officials saw the second pass and threw a flag, but it left the Rams in a tough spot. If they accepted the penalty, it would only be for 5 yards, which means Brady and the Buccaneers offense would get to come back on the field for a third-and-15. If they declined the penalty, the second pass would COUNT and the Buccaneers would be facing a fourth-and-2.

From the Rams' point of view, there was nothing fair about this situation. Even though Brady committed an egregious penalty, the Buccaneers were either going to get another down (if penalty is accepted) or gain 8 yards (if penalty is declined). The Rams ended up declining the penalty and Brady got credited for an 8-yard pass (The Buccaneers also decided to punt on fourth-and-2 from their own 42 in a game they would lose 27-24).

When someone throws a forward pass from beyond the line of scrimmage, the penalty is 5 yards and a loss of down, and that's the same punishment the Rams want for anyone who throws two passes. If the Rams' proposal had been in place, they would have accepted the penalty on Brady and the Buccaneers would have faced a fourth-and-15.

If this rule gets voted through, we can go ahead and call it the "Tom Brady rule" because the Rams would have never proposed it if Brady hadn't done it against them. For a look at the 11 other rule changes that owners will be voting on in May, be sure to click here.

video of play in link

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Clearly doing something stupid and illegal and everyone knows it, but getting away with it anyway? Yep, the "Tom Brady rule," sounds about right

Last edited:

Flint

Pro Bowler
I know Belichek is famous for knowing more of the rule book than the rest of us but do you think Belichek had instructed Brady to do this if he was ever in this situation? This situation doesn’t come up that often and the was the first time I’ve seen anyone throw it again.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I had forgotten about the absurdity of that call, since the Rams still won the game.
Illegal forward pass should be a dead ball, the result should be inconsequential

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had forgotten about the absurdity of that call, since the Rams still won the game.
Illegal forward pass should be a dead ball, the result should be inconsequential

Quite right. That's in effect what the Rams are saying. The play was a 5 yard penalty, replay the down. The Rams want it to be just like intentional grounding. Penalty plus loss of down. That's the only fair way. It was either 4th and 2 (declined) or third and 15 (accepted). The Rams believe it should be (and we'd all agree) 4th and 15.

But doesn't it figure?
Tuck rule. Brady.
Double pass rule. Brady.
Low hit on QB rule. Brady
Dissing other QBs postgame hand shake. Brady.

One question. How did that play go into the box score? It was declined so did he credit for 2 completions on 1 play because the Bucs got the ball at where the 2nd pass ended?

2 completions on 1 play. Brady.
Man I'm sick of Brady

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Quite right. That's in effect what the Rams are saying. The play was a 5 yard penalty, replay the down. The Rams want it to be just like intentional grounding. Penalty plus loss of down. That's the only fair way. It was either 4th and 2 (declined) or third and 15 (accepted). The Rams believe it should be (and we'd all agree) 4th and 15.

But doesn't it figure?
Tuck rule. Brady.
Double pass rule. Brady.

One question. How did that play go into the box score? It was declined so did he credit for 2 completions on 1 play because the Bucs got the ball at where the 2nd pass ended?

Man I'm sick of Brady
IIRC, the first pass was considered a "non-event", but Brady got credit for the second (illegal) forward pass for eight yards. Ridiculous. Kudos to Rams for making sure this never happens again.

MaxQ28

Rookie

But doesn't it figure?
Tuck rule. Brady.
Double pass rule. Brady.

Man I'm sick of Brady
THIS THIS THIS!!! I LOVE THIS

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
It is a bad loop hole so to speak. As soon as the second pass left Brady's hand the play should have been called dead.

jap

Legend
The man named Brady: "I have never, ever cheated in my entire life. Everyone and their grandmama is just plain jealous of me and my QBing genius - especially those damn Horns and their equally obnoxious fans! Every last one of them should genuflect whenever they think of me and my holy, royal arse!!!"

Tano

Legend
The man named Brady: "I have never, ever cheated in my entire life. Everyone and their grandmama is just plain jealous of me and my QBing genius - especially those damn Horns and their equally obnoxious fans! Every last one of them should genuflect whenever they think of me and my holy, royal arse!!!"
I know you are being sarcastic but that made up quote made me puke.

jap

Legend
I know you are being sarcastic but that made up quote made me puke.

It makes me puke too. However, in my anti-Brady mindset, this is how I feel the man named Brady sees us. That's why I want us! to be the ones who take both him and his former head coach out in a completely decisive manner!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Tano

Legend
It makes me puke too. However, in my anti-Brady mindset, this is how I feel the man named Brady sees us. That's why I want us! to be the ones who take both him and his former head coach out in a completely decisive manner!
Oh I don't have any problem whatsoever with you stating it but man oh man you wrote it up perfectly for me to want to puke lol

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
It's amazing how many loop holes Bradychick have found over the years. It's an impressive level of not cheating, but bending the rules. It's always them. Smart but dirty.

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
I know Belichek is famous for knowing more of the rule book than the rest of us but do you think Belichek had instructed Brady to do this if he was ever in this situation? This situation doesn’t come up that often and the was the first time I’ve seen anyone throw it again.
Loser Tarkenton did it in IX.