Rams Practice Report 9/30: Gurley's Ready for More

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 9/30: Gurley's Ready for More
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-930-Gurleys-Ready-for-More/4b87dd3c-8db5-4745-a953-cc43b2012d72

The production and result were not the desired outcomes, but from a health standpoint, running back Todd Gurley’s debut on Sunday was a success.

“I was fine, I felt good,” Gurley said of his recovery on Monday. “Just a little bit of soreness. It was nothing too crazy.”

As you might expect, the running back said he’s glad to have the ballgame out of the way.

“It definitely felt good just to get that first one out,” Gurley said.

While Gurley tallied only 9 yards on six carries and had one 5-yard reception, offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti said he was encouraged by what he saw out of the rookie running back.

“I thought he made good run reads,” Cignetti said. “I thought he was decisive. I thought he had good vision.”

That vision is likely a factor for why head coach Jeff Fisher said on Monday that Gurley was close to breaking off a few long runs. Gurley said he noticed the same when he reviewed the game film.

“About two or three runs like that,” Gurley said. “But, you know, it’s football. It’s just like coach harps on -- it’s the little details. So that’s why we practice and hopefully we can take that over to the game.”

And when it comes to those close runs, offensive lineman Rodger Saffold said he thinks it’s only a matter of time before they are executed properly.

“He’ll get there. Things are going to get there,” Saffold said. “Things are going to open up because it’s just one or two small things from breaking open.”

Quarterback Nick Foles said Wednesday he has been impressed with what he’s seen from Gurley in practice. The quarterback praised the rookie’s maturity, calling him a smooth running back who will be an explosive runner.

“He doesn’t run like a rookie. He runs like a guy who is sure of himself and knows who he is as a player,” Foles said. “He’s coming off of an injury as well and he’s playing his first game in the NFL, so I know there’s a lot of nerves, but each and every day he comes out to practice and works his butt off. He looks great in practice, and I know he’s going to show it on the field.”

One of the adjustments Gurley has made is running in an outside zone scheme. The running back said he didn’t do any of that in college, and he’s getting better at playing in it.

“It just takes repetition,” Gurley said. “Just keep getting reps at it an looking at other teams’ outside zone schemes and learning from that and watching film with each other, with the O-line. So we’ll get it down pat, get this thing rolling soon.”

If there is one improvement Gurley wants to make immediately, it’s breaking tackles. The running back sounded disappointed he wasn’t able to get past one player into the next level on Sunday.

“It’s the NFL and all, but for me, I’ve got a mindset whether it’s the NFL or not, I shouldn’t let one defender tackle me,” Gurley said.

And while Gurley’s looking forward to getting back on the field on Sunday, he’s not going to push for more touches.

“You can have one carry and it’s for 80 yards,” Gurley said, adding the most important thing for him is the team winning. “I’ll let the coaches decide that. I don’t call the plays.”

INJURY REPORT

There were five Rams listed on the injury report on Wednesday, all of whom did not practice.

Running back Chase Reynolds and defensive end Eugene Sims are closer to returning, but still sidelined with knee injuries. Safety Maurice Alexander suffered a groin injury in Sunday’s game. As Fisher said Tuesday, wide receiver Kenny Britt is dealing with a minor shoulder issue and did not practice Wednesday either. And linebacker James Laurinaitis received a rest day.

FROM THE OTHER SIDE

With strong play in all three phases, the Cardinals have jumped out to a 3-0 start to their season. Offensively, a significant reason why they are executing so well is the re-emergence of quarterback Carson Palmer.

Palmer suffered the second torn ACL of his career in 2014, but has been able to come back in even better shape, according to Arizona head coach Bruce Arians.

“I tell you, it’s amazing. Sports science today is so unbelievable,” Arians said Wednesday. “He’s probably fitter and stronger and better fit than he was when he was 30 or 31. Just the things that he did with his body, his core is so much stronger. His legs are obviously stronger, but it’s also helped his arm.”

Palmer has completed 63.6 percent of his passes for 803 yards with nine touchdowns and only two interceptions. We’ll have more on Palmer and the Cardinals’ offense in our Opponent Breakdown post later in the week.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
James Laurinaitis, Kenny Britt sit out Rams' Wednesday practice
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...aitis-kenny-britt-sit-out-wednesdays-practice

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- A couple of key starters didn't practice for the St. Louis Rams on Wednesday. Linebacker James Laurinaitis and wide receiver Kenny Britt did not participate for the second day in a row, though the Rams don't seem too concerned on either front.

Laurinaitis is listed as sitting out for reasons that are "not injury related," which roughly translates to a veteran's day off. He had a similar day on Tuesday. As for Britt, he's dealing with some shoulder soreness and also sat out the practice.

The only other new addition to the injury report is safety Maurice Alexander, who suffered a groin injury in Sunday's game against Pittsburgh and also did not participate.

Laurinaitis, Britt and Alexander join end Eugene Sims (knee) and running back Chase Reynolds (knee) as the only players on the report.

The Rams will not practice Thursday so that report will amount to an estimated participation for each player. Friday will give a more realistic view of how far along those on the report are in the comebacks.

Of note for Arizona, guard Mike Iupati (knee) was a limited participant.

Here's Wednesday's complete injury report:

Did not participate: LB James Laurinaitis (not injury related), WR Kenny Britt (shoulder), S Maurice Alexander (groin), RB Chase Reynolds (knee), DE Eugene Sims (knee)

RamBill

Legend
Cignetti:We’re Close,We’re Encouraged By Things That We See

Offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti talks about what the Rams need to do to get the offense on track against Arizona.

Watch Cignetti's Presser

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Gotta say that I really like the way Cigs goes about his business. I think he's right that they're close too. Not sure if that's gonna matter against the Cards this particular weekend, but his comments on giving the run game at-bats, and on the players focusing on what the Rams do, etc are all on point.

Really hope this offense starts hitting full gear. It's just been so damn long...

RamBill

Legend
Jared Cook: It’s About Getting Better Every Week

Tight end Jared Cook talks about Arizona’s defense and focusing on what his team needs to do to be successful on Sunday.

Watch Cook's Presser

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Listening to the presser of Cook...He cares...He's different, but he cares...Bet he plays his ass off this Sunday....

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Listening to the presser of Cook...He cares...He's different, but he cares...Bet he plays his ass off this Sunday....
Yeah, I've said the same. I've ragged hard on him this week so I expect him to go off on the Cardinals for one his 1 in 4 big games. He's due for one of those.