Rams Practice Report 10/2: Quick Set to Return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 10/2: Quick Set to Return
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-102-Quick-Set-to-Return/33bf3e20-28af-4143-a9e2-30bf2f7d2b20

It’s been a long road back from a serious shoulder injury for wide receiver Brian Quick, and all indications are that he will be on the field when the Rams take on the Cardinals in Arizona.

“Had a great week of practice,” head coach Jeff Fisher said of Quick. “I hope it carries over into the game.”

“I’m really excited, man,” Quick said after Friday’s session. “I can’t wait to get out there with my brothers and try to get this win.”

Quick has been a healthy scratch for the first three games of the season, but his injury was a factor for why he was not in. Because of the shoulder, Quick was not able to fully participate in much of the Rams’ offseason program. The wide receiver said part of making his way back was simply catching up with the new elements in the offense.

“It was just everything, period,” Quick said. “Just getting back to the speed that I needed to get back into. So I’m still working, and any opportunity that I get, I’m ready for.”

Quick said one of the indications he had a good chance to play against the Cardinals was his increased practice reps.

“There are certain things that you just have to prepare for, going into the week,” Quick said. “So when the coaches put you out there, you have to be ready for anything.”

One factor for the practice time was Kenny Britt sitting out earlier in the week due to a minor shoulder injury. While Britt is listed as probable to play Sunday, Fisher said Quick was impressive in Britt’s stead.

“He stepped right in there and literally was flawless with his reps,” Fisher said. “He knows exactly what to do.”

Though Quick had not been playing, he said he’s spent time with the entire offense developing chemistry with quarterback Nick Foles.

“Reps after practice, us going in the meeting room together as a unit -- those are the little things that separate offenses and different players, just to have that chemistry together as one,” Quick said. “We’ve all been meeting and doing the extra things we needed to do.”

And last week, Foles said he’s seen plenty of potential from the 6-foot-3 wideout.

“The sky is the limit for that guy,” Foles said. “So talented, such a big receiver. His ball skills are among the best I’ve seen, just how he goes up and gets it.”

“When he gets out there, it’ll be exciting,” the quarterback added.

Given how hard and how long Quick has been working hard to be an active player on gameday, it wasn’t much of a surprise when he admitted Friday it was sometimes tough to sit and watch.

“You’re out here working every day and you see your brothers out there fighting, going out there giving it everything they have,” Quick said. “You want to go out there and do the same thing with them.”

And now that he will be able to do just that, Quick doesn’t need a moment to look back at all he’s overcome to get back to this point.

“I let it sink in every day -- every day I’m out here,” Quick said. “Once you get a chance to even sit on the sideline, to even be out here, be in this locker room -- you’ve got to take advantage of it and love everything that you do. So I just take that approach every day.”

INJURY REPORT

The Rams have six players listed on their injury report for Sunday’s contest.

Wide receiver Kenny Britt (shoulder) returned to practice Friday with full participation and is listed as probable. Linebacker James Laurinaitis (not injury related) is also listed as probable after having Tuesday and Wednesday off. Running back Benny Cunningham (knee) was added to the injury report Friday, but is listed as probable.

Running back Chase Reynolds (knee) did not practice all week, but is listed as doubtful. Defensive end Eugene Sims (knee) and safety Maurice Alexander (groin) have both been declared out for Sunday’s contest.

ROSTER MOVES

The Rams made a few corresponding roster moves to solidify the roster in preparation for Sunday.

Given the absence of Alexander, the Rams promoted safety Christian Bryant from the practice squad to the active roster.

“I think he’s got a chance to be active and help us on special teams,” Fisher said. “We’ve designated Maurice Alexander as ‘out’, so ‘CB’ can fill in for him till he comes back.”

The Rams selected Bryant in the seventh round out of Ohio State in the 2014 draft. The Cleveland, Ohio native spent last season on St. Louis’ practice squad.

“Christian was their Defensive MVP before he got hurt there at Ohio State,” Fisher said. “He’s one of those classic examples of what a difference a year makes. So, had a really good preseason. I’ve got all the confidence in the world that he’ll go out there and do the right things.”

To make room for Bryant on the active roster, the Rams cut cornerback Brandon McGee. The club also added cornerback Eric Patterson to replace Bryant on the practice squad. Patterson is an undrafted rookie out of Ball State, who spent the early portion of the offseason with the Patriots before going between the active roster and practice squad of the Colts. Indianapolis waived Patterson earlier this week.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Head coach Jeff Fisher discusses facing the Cardinals, announces three roster moves and gives other updates after Friday’s practice.

Watch Fisher's Presser

RamBill

Legend
Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams talks about Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians and going up against Arizona’s offense.

Watch Williams Presser

RamBill

Legend
Rams report: WR Quick to see first action of 2015
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f57b63a2-53a9-579b-897c-0203623f3e92.html

Wide receiver Brian Quick will be on the active roster Sunday when the Rams (1-2) take on the Arizona Cardinals (3-0) in a 3:25 p.m. NFC West showdown at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz.

“Had a great week (of practice); hope it carries over to the game,'' Rams head coach Jeff Fisher when asked about Quick in his post-practice meeting with the media Friday afternoon at Rams Park.

Asked if Quick would be active on Sunday, Fisher repeated: “I hope it carries over into the game.''

Quick, who suffered a severe shoulder injury last season in Kansas City, has been held out of the Rams' opening three game this season. A second-round draft pick in 2012, the 6-foot-3, 218-pound Quick was in the midst of a breakout season before being hurt a year ago. He made six starts in seven games and posted career-highs in receptions (25), receiving yards (375) and touchdowns (3).

Also on Friday, the Rams cut cornerback Brandon McGee, promoted safety Christian Bryant from the practice squad and signing cornerback Eric Patterson to fill the open spot on the practice squad.

A fifth-round draft pick in 2013, McGee was a solid contributor on special teams as a rookie but spent most of the last two seasons dealing with a foot injury. He was released at the end of training camp, signed to the practice squad and promoted to the active roster earlier this week.

Fisher said the move was made because of special-teams needs, citing Bryant's ability to fill in for fellow safety Maurice Alexander (Eureka High), who suffered a groin injury in last Sunday's loss to Pittsburgh.

Byrant, a 23-year-old from Ohio State, was drafted by the Rams in the seventh round of the 2014 draft and spent all of last year and the first three games this year on the team's practice squad.

Patterson, a cornerback and kick returner, played four years at Ball State before signing as an undrafted free agent by New England in May. After being released, he hooked on with the Indianapolis Colts and picked up two tackles in two games before being cut and signed to their practice squad.

Patterson was released from the Indy practice squad earlier this week.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Two big wildcards for Arizona to prepare for: Gurley and Quick.

Not gonna get all geeked up by either of course. But the offense has a lot more potential to hurt teams with those two in the game. Foles in particular will be interesting to watch with Quick... He really loves to have a guy he can count on and it might be him we will see.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The club also added cornerback Eric Patterson to replace Bryant on the practice squad. Patterson is an undrafted rookie out of Ball State, who spent the early portion of the offseason with the Patriots before going between the active roster and practice squad of the Colts. Indianapolis waived Patterson earlier this week.
Does anyone have more info on this new man!?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Does anyone have more info on this new man!?
Eric Patterson
School: Ball State
Position: CB
Height: 5-9.5
Weight: 193
40: 4.55
Year: 4Sr

Bio: Nice-sized cornerback with average ball skills. Quick up the field on the blitz, sacrifices his body to make tackles and gives effort defending the run. Aggressive, lays heavy blows on opponents and competes hard.

Positive: Nice-sized cornerback with average ball skills. Quick up the field on the blitz, sacrifices his body to make tackles and gives effort defending the run. Aggressive, lays heavy blows on opponents and competes hard.

Negative: Slow backpedaling, struggles staying with receivers out of breaks and does not display sense of timing on pass defenses. Blows assignments on occasion.

Analysis: Patterson offers potential as a dime back at the next level but his greatest value will be returning kicks.

http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/2015/CB/Eric-Patterson

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Bryant promoted from practice squad, McGee cut
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_56a1bccb-3282-59cb-8d72-37725466184c.html

With just seconds to play in a win over the University of Wisconsin two years ago, Rams safety Christian Bryant feared his NFL dream had ended.

A third-year starter and senior captain at Ohio State, Bryant was getting into position to make a tackle when a teammate landed on his ankle.

“It was kind of a bad time, knowing that I wouldn’t be healthy or able to finish out my senior season,’’ the 23-yard-old said Friday at Rams Park. “I wasn’t sure I’d get the chance, but (coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead) took a chance on me, drafted me late and felt like they saw something in my abilities and it’s grown from there.’’

The 5-foot-9, 198-pound Bryant was promoted from the practice squad Friday and expects to see action in his first NFL game Sunday when the Rams (1-2) take on the Arizona Cardinals (3-0) at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz.

“Looking forward to getting out on the field finally and getting a chance to play some real football,’’ said Bryant, who spent all of last season and the first three games this season on the practice squad. “It was kind of tough at first, knowing I’d have to take that year to develop, but through the whole process I stayed the course and everything worked out. It’s a blessing, honestly.’’

Bryant added: “I’m going to work hard all the time, push the limits on the field and try to make something out of nothing. I’m going to scrap out there.’’

To make room for Bryant, the Rams released third-year cornerback Brandon McGee. A fifth-round draft choice in 2013, McGee contributed on special teams as a rookie but spent the last two seasons battling a foot injury.

Fisher said Bryant, a seventh-round draft choice in 2014, has a chance to help on special teams in place of fellow second-year safety Maurice Alexander, who’s out with a groin injury.

“Christian filled those (special-teams) needs better than Brandon did,’’ Fisher said. “It was a long rehab, but (Bryant) had a great offseason here. He’s one of those classic examples of what a difference a year makes.’’

To fill Bryant’s spot on the practice squad, the Rams signed Eric Patterson, a rookie cornerback and kick returner from Ball State who was signed as an undrafted free agent by New England and played in two games with the Indianapolis Colts at the start of this season. He was cut from the Colts’ practice squad earlier in the week.

INJURY REPORT

As noted, Alexander (groin) has been ruled out, as has defensive end Eugene Sims (knee). Also missing practice Friday were running backs Chase Reynolds (knee) and Benny Cunningham (knee). Reynolds is listed doubtful, with Cunningham probable. Also probable after going through full workouts on Friday are linebacker James Laurinaitis and wide receiver Kenny Britt.

For Arizona, receiver J.J. Nelson (shoulder) is out and receiver John Brown (shoulder) is questionable after being limited Friday. Listed probable after full Friday workouts are running back Andre Ellington (knee), guard Mike Iupati (knee), linebacker Alex Okafor (shoulder) and linebacker LaMarr Woodley (quad).

Iupati, a three-time Pro Bowl selection as a San Francisco 49er, signed a five-year, $40 million free agent deal with the Cardinals in the offseason and is set to make his Arizona debut Sunday.

FILLING IN

With Sims out of the defensive line rotation due to a knee injury suffered in the Rams’ season-opening victory over Seattle, second-year pro Ethan Westbrooks has stepped up and taken advantage.

“We got a lot of good work out of (Westbrooks),’’ Fisher said early this week. “He played end in relief of (Robert Quinn) and we got a lot of production out of him. I thought the defensive line, for the most part, applied really good pressure against a (Pittsburgh) offensive line that is very well coached.... Obviously, we miss Eugene, but just moving Ethan around has been good for us.’’

The 6-foot-4, 237-pound Westbrooks took 14 defensive snaps against the Steelers. Through three games, he has eight tackles and one quarterback pressure in each of the three games. On Sunday, he also caused a penalty.

“It’s been good, getting a chance to play and contribute,’’ the West Texas A&M product said. “They’ve had some working at both tackle and end since I got here, so I’m just doing what I can to try and contribute. Working with these guys every day, there’s never a dull moment because of all the big personalities, but it’s also a tremendous opportunity to learn and to grow.’’

RAM-BLING

Like Fisher, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is largely unimpressed with team’s move into the top 10 defensive ratings. Allowing an average of 325 yards a game, the Rams are tied with San Diego for ninth.

“I don’t know where we’re ranked because early in the year I don’t even look at that kind of stuff,’’ Williams said. “It’s really about the opponent week in and week out. This group of guys, when they take ownership, it’s really good. I love the way coach Fisher has the schedule now. On Thursdays, they come in here and they do all kinds of checks to make sure they’re comfortable in the call process and they’re comfortable in what we’re doing. ...

“I like the way they prepare. I like the way they study. ... It’s very important to them to be good.’’