Rams, Packers and Cowboys already over 2022 salary cap

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Snead says... “Plenty of room”.

tenor.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yes but there's $13M of cap-relief if Whitworth does not return in 2022. Another $7M if the Rams move-on from Havenstein.

Probably a Stafford extension another relief valve.

This jump is probably more than they expected, or the Rams are glad to see it materialize.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Probably a Stafford extension another relief valve.

This jump is probably more than they expected, or the Rams are glad to see it materialize.
Agree. Stafford will be in the final year of his contract in 2022, and all his compensation is salary. The Rams should be able to do a nice and lucrative extension that would reduce his 2022 cap-hit.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There are always to move things around and create room or kick the can down the road.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
There are always to move things around and create room or kick the can down the road.

I wonder how much this bounce up was expected by team cap guys?

They used to be able to anticipate the increase pretty closely. But this year, probably a lot of guessing going on.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder how much this bounce up was expected by team cap guys?

They used to be able to anticipate the increase pretty closely. But this year, probably a lot of guessing going on.
From what I was reading they anticipated an increase in the $20 million area. This year it's at what $185 million? They were going to do more than the 208.2 but some of the benefits that were cancelled last year due to the covid issues was set to be repaid in 2023 but they're moving that up by mutual agreement to next year instead. This whole deal is a rare agreement between both sides the NFL and the NFLPA.

dang

Legend
McSnead will worry about that one week after the Rams win the super bowl. Until then the credit card hasn’t been cut up.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
The concerns are noted and have been since 2018. They continue to use their roster building model regardless of the criticism.

The salary cap subject regarding the Rams for the start of each new fiscal year is always a big discussion topic.

They continue to stay in the limelight for never having a first round draft pick, being a cap strapped team with a top heavy roster and lacking any formidable depth at the beginning of each new season.

Perception: The Rams seem to always be labeled as in trouble regarding their salary cap, lack of depth and being carless for not having future 1st round draft picks.

The wheel keeps spinning but the Rams have had no problem getting under the cap, making the most of their mid round draft picks and they continue to prove their roster depth is more of a top 16 ranking not the bottom 5 as media outlets continue to harp on.

Same old narrative.

The Rams do things different and until they miss the postseason 2 years in a row, the rest of the league might want to take some notes.

This is 2021 and the Rams do things their own way.
20140304_ada.jpg

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
It's a ceiling, not a floor so it could be lower.

Also the Rams are abt $6M under this yr the last I checked, so that will carry over.

So after some bonuses are paid out later this yr they will likely be about even when they carry over what's left....at best.

So Whit & Hav and possibly Higbee could be gone.

Again that's why I thought they would move on from Hav this yr because his savings this yr would carry over and then there would be no dead money for next yr either. So a lot of savings in that one move for 22'.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd imagine Whitworth retiring and a Stafford extension would get us enough money to re-sign Corbett and Noteboom.

If we don't extend Williams this year then I doubt we sign him.

SJD is almost certainly gone too.

The good news is we won't have needs at QB/RB/WR/TE and if we bring back Corbett and Noteboom, just need to backfill depth/get competition for Noteboom.

On defense we will just need a CB or two, ILB depth and DL depth.

So basically just depth for OL/CB/ILB/DL with starting competition at LT and CB - and we will have 10 or 11 draft picks.