Rams on a Mission as OTAs Conclude

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Rams on a Mission as OTAs Conclude

By Bradford Burns

http://www.101sports.com/2014/06/22/rams-mission-otas-conclude/

School’s out – temporarily – for the St. Louis Rams.

The team concluded OTAs with a dose of levity via a punt-catching competition between the offensive and defensive lines, the final leg of a three-week session that proved lighthearted and spirited at once. “We told the guys you’re not going to compete for the division here over the next couple weeks,” head coach Jeff Fisher said. “The only thing you do is set yourself back. So it was a step-by-step process, we got everything in, and we came through it very, very healthy. We got the rooks caught up, which was good.”

One of the principal participants, in fact, managed to exceed initial expectations in the area of reps. Rehabbing starting quarterback Sam Bradford went through several seven-on-seven drills and even tackled the hurry-up offense on occasion, among other duties.

“I was really happy with everything that went on during the OTAs,” Bradford said. “A big part of it for me was obviously physically getting back out on to the field, seeing how my knee reacted. It’s been fantastic. We were actually able to do a little more than we anticipated, so that’s very positive.”

As Bradford nears full health, the Oklahoma product is aware of the albatross hanging over the headquarters in Earth City: The club hasn’t sniffed the playoffs since he assumed the controls in 2010. Yet the former Heisman Trophy winner remains adamant about not letting outside criticism alter his training for the all-important season ahead.

“To be honest, I don’t pay attention to any of it,” Bradford told reporters recently. “I don’t read the papers, I don’t listen to the radio, I don’t watch the news. I’m focused on what I do here in this building. I know the preparation and time that I’ve put in. I know I’m doing the right things. “Maybe it hasn’t paid off yet and we haven’t taken that next step, but I know that what I am doing is a process. Just be patient. I think this year we are going to take that next step.”

In the run-up to April’s draft, Fisher and general manager Les Snead took great pains to reaffirm the organization’s faith in the fifth-year signal-caller. And it wouldn’t surprise the man at the helm if No. 8 were to register a Pro Bowl-worthy campaign at last. “Oh yeah, there is no doubt,” Fisher said. “He has got the vision, the decision-making ability, the arm strength, the mobility to put up great numbers.”

Bradford’s drive to enter the upper echelon of professional throwers remains stronger than ever. “I think every quarterback has that mindset,” Bradford said. “You have to believe in yourself and you have to be confident. “I’m confident in all of my abilities. I don’t try to compare myself to anyone. You guys do a great job of that, but I believe in everything I do to get myself ready to play and I’m confident when I step on the field on Sunday that I can help us win.”

It’s officially summer, with Rams players and coaches alike scattering in various directions until rookies report July 21.

“I’m actually looking forward to it,” Bradford said. “Nothing cool. I’m just going to go back to Oklahoma, continue the rehab process and get ready for training camp. Come in as strong as possible.”

Fisher took a more coy approach when addressing his plans. “I’ll probably disappear for a while,” he said. “If I told where I was going I wouldn’t be disappearing.”

While personnel are encouraged to take advantage of the break from the gridiron, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams may find the lull in the action a bit harder to absorb.

“I’m happiest on the field. I’m happiest out here,” Williams said. “I’m happiest competing. In the meeting room, it’s good too, when the players are around. In the offseason when the players aren’t around and the coaches have to suffer through me … they were so happy when the players got here because they got a break too because now I can start stressing the players instead of stressing the coaches.

“But it is fun. This is where I’m happiest. Again, in the state of Missouri, back in my home state, here in St. Louis, I can’t tell you how happy I am. This is a good group of guys to be with.” National types recognize the Kirksville native’s zest for the game, too.

“You can maybe look at Gregg as being one of the best acquisitions this offseason,” ESPN’s John Clayton, a recent guest on “The Fast Lane,” said. “But then when you put (rookie defensive tackle) Aaron Donald in that nickel package with how young it is, and how good it is, and how talented is … I was surprised, when I was looking at the numbers, that the Ram numbers weren’t better last year. They got the sacks, but they gave up a lot of yards.” Clayton continued.

“Now I think that you can see, it’s going to start shutting people down. And that’s going to be the nature of what Gregg Williams is going to do. He’s going to get those guys thinking, ‘Hey, we don’t want to concede anything on this defense.’”

Here’s the full training camp schedule of practices open to the public:
Friday, July 25 at 3:30 p.m.
Saturday, July 26 at 3:30 p.m.
Sunday, July 27 at 5:30 p.m.
Tuesday, July 29 at 3:30 p.m.
Thursday, July 31 at 5:30 p.m.
Friday, Aug. 1 at 3:30 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 2 at 12:30 p.m. (scrimmage at Edward Jones Dome)
Monday, Aug. 4 at 3:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Aug. 5 at 5:30 p.m.
Thursday, Aug. 7 at 3:30 p.m.
Monday, Aug. 11 at 3:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Aug. 12 at 5:30 p.m.
Thursday, Aug. 14 at 3:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Aug. 19 at 3:30 p.m.
Wednesday, Aug. 20 at 3:30 p.m.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Good read! Man I'm looking forward to the preseason and week 1. If the Vikings have any brains at all, Bridgewater's first live experience in the NFL will not against us. He'll have a sequence of set-backs for a while after.

SierraRam

Recreational User
They got the sacks, but they gave up a lot of yards.” Clayton continued. “Now I think that you can see, it’s going to start shutting people down. And that’s going to be the nature of what Gregg Williams is going to do. He’s going to get those guys thinking, ‘Hey, we don’t want to concede anything on this defense.’”

Love John Clayton. We did give up a lot of 1st downs, but GW is gonna fix that. The sky's the limit boys!